Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Stretch run to the playoffs "So it begins"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
For the record I don’t think there’s anything to the Dubas thing at all. But I’m not sold on him. I don’t absolutely love any move he’s ever made, except maybe the ROR one. He inherited a core of three young players and bungled their contracts.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Dubas was in charge of the Marlies.

Marner, Matthews, and Nylander were all drafted before 2018.

Dubas was hired by Shanahan as an assistant general manager for the Maple Leafs in July 2014.

As an assistant GM for the club, Dubas played parts in many aspects of the organization, including personnel management and analytics, through the team's research and development group.[7] Dubas and Mark Hunter filled the role of interim general manager for the Maple Leafs in 2015, after Nonis was fired by the club.[9]

After Shanahan hired Lou Lamoriello to serve as the team's general manager, Dubas and Hunter both took roles as assistant GM.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Dubas was hired by Shanahan as an assistant general manager for the Maple Leafs in July 2014.

As an assistant GM for the club, Dubas played parts in many aspects of the organization, including personnel management and analytics, through the team's research and development group.[7] Dubas and Mark Hunter filled the role of interim general manager for the Maple Leafs in 2015, after Nonis was fired by the club.[9]

After Shanahan hired Lou Lamoriello to serve as the team's general manager, Dubas and Hunter both took roles as assistant GM.

So he wasn’t the GM when they drafted their young core and Hunter is pretty much on record as pushing for Marner.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
I'm pretty sure I would be okay with my cat as the next GM... I dont really blame hextall.. But my stubborn as hell cat will really not let sullivan get away with shit

Reactions: Rave7215

Rave7215

Mar 12, 2010
I'm pretty sure I would be okay with my cat as the next GM... I dont really blame hextall.. But my stubborn as hell cat will really not let sullivan get away with shit
I don't fully blame Hextall because I can at least put logic to most of his moves. Most. This collapse shouldn't have any management survivors though.

Sully I don't understand at all wtf he's doing. Man coaches without rational thought

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm implying there is a huge issue with getting Russian players to the US and if you want to stick your head in the sand about it feel free.

Leo Carlsson, Fantilli, Will Smith are all players with HUGE upside.

If we have a top five pick take one of those because they can jump into the league within a year.
The problem is that your example is a superstar who nobody would suggest isn't worth the trouble. Every team in the league would give their eye teeth for the Kaprizov "problem".

The other players you mention are not projected to slide either, are they? Yet you're talking about only picking Michkov if he falls to the 14-15th pick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The problem is that your example is a superstar who nobody would suggest isn't worth the trouble. Every team in the league would give their eye teeth for the Kaprizov "problem".

The other players you mention are not projected to slide either, are they? Yet you're talking about only picking Michkov if he falls to the 14-15th pick.

I'm saying if we win the lottery our pick should be a can't miss prospect versus one who could potentially held up in Russia as a political prop.

There is a ton of talk of Michkov sliding by those close to the draft.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Hextall’s is so f***ing weird. As a player he played with a ton of heart and was borderline insane.

As a GM he’s a meek dork with no courage.
To be fair borderline insane is pretty close to his approach as Penguins GM since the expansion draft.

Reactions: Pens x

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
yes, if only we would've kept Matheson and Marino and McCann we could've won infinite playoff series like we did when they were here.
Last I checked, giving yourself a chance in the playoffs (which is what the roster used to do) was better than finishing 9th in the East.

You don't even need to keep all those players. You just need to have something to show for them besides 30+ year olds with bloated contracts or AHL players.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Last I checked, giving yourself a chance in the playoffs (which is what the roster used to do) was better than finishing 9th in the East.

You don't even need to keep all those players. You just need to have something to show for them besides 30+ year olds with bloated contracts or AHL players.

We would've missed the playoffs with those three players. We missed because of coaching and goaltending.

Well we atleast made the playoffs when they were here.

We also won the xGF battle!

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
We would've missed the playoffs with those three players. We missed because of coaching and goaltending.

We also won the xGF battle!
A better defense doesn't help goaltending at all. A better bottom six wouldn't have helped at all.

Last I checked Hextall is also in charge of coaching and goaltending, too. So.. your shielding of him to boost your Sullivan-hate crusade undercuts your own narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad