Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
1677902409207.png

1677902420464.png

1677902433468.png
1677902442665.png

1677902453342.png

I think this is an easy way to look at what we gave top and what added in terms of points and some fancy stats.

I don't really understand why everyone in the media is so down on the impact "this year".

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don't think Yzerman is treating him like a pariah just because he has a drinking problem. Most NHL'ers are bordering on having drinking problems. There is something there that made Yzerman feel the need to cut bait right now for not even nothing, but at the expense of his cap.
I'll take attitude issues at that price. Hell, maybe this team needs more pissed off players on the bench. He defends well anyway. No problem there.
Sigh, I dunno. We just let a good finisher go when that's our #1 problem... Coulda played with Malkin next year...

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
@DocEmrickSkitters true on POJ. At the same time, at least he wasn’t traded, and he should be a lock for next season.
It also wouldn’t have been serious for Ruh to be our 7th.

True that. I don't think at this point he has the value to be moved. We need a cheapish significant contributor next season, and I would feel quite alright with him in the top 4 if needed. I hope he outplays Dumo/Kulikov to the extent that he forces our hand in the playoffs this year.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Reactions: Pens x

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'll take attitude issues at that price. Hell, maybe this team needs more pissed off players on the bench. He defends well anyway. No problem there.
Sigh, I dunno. We just let a good finisher go when that's our #1 problem... Coulda played with Malkin next year...
I don't think it's attitude, as in is kinda douchey and immature ala James Neal. And Detroit has rehabbed players before. Yzerman won Cups with raging alcoholics and drug abusers. It's either there are serious doubts that he will be able to play at a professional level due to his issues, or something else that basically the whole league agreed was a big problem. I hope he succeeds because he's a really talented player and a really young guy still - but yea.

Like Gurglssons said, I'm inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to Yzerman and MacLellan here.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm so annoyed that we passed on Vrana at 50% retained for 3 years. 2.625 mil.
His career 5v5 P60 is a tiny bit shy of Guentzel, a known great 5v5 producer.

Alcoholism or not, how do you not roll that dice? How do you go for 5 mil for Granlund (1.65 career rate) instead...
Vrana gets a much better ratio of goals too.

That's less than we paid for McGinn! Could have saved the pick too! Blues paid a 7th! f***! 😡

I've loved Vrana since his time on the Caps. I agree that it was a missed opportunity to not make a run at him.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Would much rather have Sundqvist and Greenway than Bonino and Granlund. Practically the same cap hit and the same asset cost.

1677905214458.png

1677905225192.png

For reference.

I like Greenway, but he doesn't add what we need in the bottom six outside of size.

Sundqvist is someone I've always liked, but I dunno. Both seem like bigger versions of what we had in Kappy and Mcginn.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
View attachment 662779
View attachment 662781

For reference.

I like Greenway, but he doesn't add what we need in the bottom six outside of size.

Sundqvist is someone I've always liked, but I dunno. Both seem like bigger versions of what we had in Kappy and Mcginn.
I think their collective size gives the Penguins something they severely lack for the playoffs, especially since both are willing to use it. Neither is slow, either, and I'm concerned about Bonino's ability to play at a playoff pace after all these years.

Plus, as I noted earlier, instead of picking up Kulikov, they could have thrown in Vrana or someone else for a similar cap hit and really bolstered the options at forward.

I understand what you're saying in terms of the value of Kapanen-Blueger-McGinn. And I see the improved value in Granlund-Bonino compared to the terrible trio, but it still feels like a massive missed opportunity given how many other players were actually moved.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think their collective size gives the Penguins something they severely lack for the playoffs, especially since both are willing to use it. Neither is slow, either, and I'm concerned about Bonino's ability to play at a playoff pace after all these years.

Plus, as I noted earlier, instead of picking up Kulikov, they could have thrown in Vrana or someone else for a similar cap hit and really bolstered the options at forward.

I understand what you're saying in terms of the value of Kapanen-Blueger-McGinn. And I see the improved value in Granlund-Bonino compared to the terrible trio, but it still feels like a massive missed opportunity given how many other players were actually moved.

Sundqvist is definitely slow.

I agree 100%. But ultimately the reality is that what we added ends up being a net negative million compared to what we had a few weeks ago next season and Bonino is a better player even at his age than Teddy.

I like Greenway, but he is Kapanen. Hyper low IQ that does one thing when he enters the zone. If we were going to get someone with term, I'd prefer a piece like Granlund that at least has high IQ.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Greenway and Sundqvist coulda been ok but I like Bonino's vision more. Team has lacked guys who can actually pass well in the bottom six for a long time and that's not either of those guys.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Greenway and Sundqvist coulda been ok but I like Bonino's vision more. Team has lacked guys who can actually pass well in the bottom six for a long time and that's not either of those guys.

People say Hextall doesn't have a vision, but his entire tenure he's been stripping this team of low IQ players for cerebral ones.

Matheson, Kapanen, McCann, Tanev etc. out.

McGinn, Petry, Granlund, Carter etc. in.

Will it work? I doubt it. But there is that one line across the board in what we acquire and focus on.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Yes, saw this…lol

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nhl ... ers-losers

Loser: Pittsburgh Penguins
Ron Hextall certainly made moves at the trade deadline, but not the ones fans wanted him to make. At the deadline, the Penguins acquired Dmitry Kulikov, Nick Bonino, and Mikael Granlund, all fringe players over 30 who expect to bring very little to the table compared to what the team needs. Kulikov seems to be the only player with upside, helped by the fact that Pittsburgh also got out from under Brock McGinn’s bad contract with the deal.

The Penguins have been playing better as of late, but for awhile they were looking incredibly tragic. Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin are having absolutely stellar seasons and there are only so many years left of this Penguins core before they’re set to ride off into the sunset. Instead of swinging for the fences on a deal — the Penguins were in on J.T. Miller but talks cooled off — Hextall didn’t add much of value as his team sits in a precarious wild card spot.

If you’re a Penguins fan, it’s hard to be happy with what management cooked up at the deadline compared to the deals other teams made.

Lol whoever wrote that read the first three pages of the threads here lol

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
People say Hextall doesn't have a vision, but his entire tenure he's been stripping this team of low IQ players for cerebral ones.

Matheson, Kapanen, McCann, Tanev etc. out.

McGinn, Petry, Granlund, Carter etc. in.

Will it work? I doubt it. But there is that one line across the board in what we acquire and focus on.
Hopefully with their combined brain power they can manage the puck in the final 5 minutes of periods.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
I'm so annoyed that we passed on Vrana at 50% retained for 3 years. 2.625 mil.
His career 5v5 P60 is a tiny bit shy of Guentzel, a known great 5v5 producer.

Alcoholism or not, how do you not roll that dice? How do you go for 5 mil for Granlund (1.65 career rate) instead...
Vrana gets a much better ratio of goals too.

That's less than we paid for McGinn! Could have saved the pick too! Blues paid a 7th! f***! 😡
You’re talking about the team that traded Despres because he played poker a bit too much lol

• Wow
Reactions: Lustaf

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It can, and has, worked in the past. With the Pens even. But those players played fast. They both skated with speed and could move the puck with quick accurate passes and skating the puck out of their zone.

37 year olds ain't fast.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Props to Ron the builder for getting older and slower. I don’t want this guy near a rebuild.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Props to Ron the builder for getting older and slower. I don’t want this guy near a rebuild.
I was happy with our deadline. We didn't squander any first round picks and we made the team incrementally better. You have to understand this team was not going to win a Stanley Cup.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I was happy with our deadline. We didn't squander any first round picks and we made the team incrementally better. You have to understand this team was not going to win a Stanley Cup.
I go through hopeless romantic phases. Like if we can just get a random lineup to spark.

The NHL is strange. If our team falls into roles and gets cohesive they could upset the Canes or Boston.

Really as long as Sid plays top tier I'll never give them a long shot at making excitement.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I don't really understand why everyone in the media is so down on the impact "this year".
They convinced themselves that the Penguins needed to make a Big Splash to keep up with the Joneses in the Conference instead of actually addressing the team's needs.
And don't get me wrong, I'd have been happy with Miller if he came cheap. He could've been the Kessel-like addition to get us over the hump. But he might not have been, since he's not what we actually need at this point in the season.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
They convinced themselves that the Penguins needed to make a Big Splash to keep up with the Joneses in the Conference instead of actually addressing the team's needs.
And don't get me wrong, I'd have been happy with Miller if he came cheap. He could've been the Kessel-like addition to get us over the hump. But he might not have been, since he's not what we actually need at this point in the season.
Not swapping out Dumo and getting Chychrun is my only big downer. But it seems they would of chose OTT no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese