Salary Cap: Pens Salary Thread: Stretch run to the playoffs "So it begins"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean, look at the Kaprizov situation.

Michkov is under contract and nothing appears to be getting better.

If we are in the top five we should pick a different player. If he drops to 14-15, you take the risk.
Are the Wild regretting picking Kaprizov?

Waiting until 14-15 to take a player who is considered top 2-3 in terms of talent is zany. Those are the sorts of players we should be targeting, not avoiding.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
His contract is up and the Leafs may not be interested in renewing it or Dubas could move for more money.
This is how FSG should be flexing their deep pockets.

I guess you can't out pocket the Leafs though. But FSG should use its deep pockets to build out the front office. Can't do it with the cap, but can spend as much as you want outside of that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is how FSG should be flexing their deep pockets.

I guess you can't out pocket the Leafs though. But FSG should use its deep pockets to build out the front office. Can't do it with the cap, but can spend as much as you want outside of that.

I have zero proof of this but the Penguins FO and overall team support from the top guys down through all scouting departments, analytics, etc seems... rinky dink. So I agree. Would love to see some top dollar minds brought in. I mean... assuming FSG remembers the Penguins actually exist in their portfolio.

Reactions: Pancakes

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I know it's a different regime and this and that but if you truly wanted a robust and solid analytics department it would have been nice if previous GM's had at least pretended to listen to Sam Ventura rather than greeting him with atomic wedgies and swirlies. That's speculation on my part, no sources.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'd take him. He even fits like a glove here because we always lose in the first round.

Why are we assuming Dubas would be available?

Also, I don't really see how going after the GM of a team who hasn't won a playoff round since 2004 is really the right call to fix this team :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I know it's a different regime and this and that but if you truly wanted a robust and solid analytics department it would have been nice if previous GM's had at least pretended to listen to Sam Ventura rather than greeting him with atomic wedgies and swirlies. That's speculation on my part, no sources.
I am probably the biggest skeptic of hockey stats on the board, but even I think it's dumb to ignore them completely, especially when the team is failing on all levels-- analytically, the eye test, the actual results on the ice.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Also, I don't really see how going after the GM of a team who hasn't won a playoff round since 2004 is really the right call to fix this team :laugh:
His contract is up at the end of the year. I suppose whether the Leafs want to re-sign him will depend in large part on how the playoffs go this year for them.

As for why we'd want him...young, analytic-minded, has done a pretty good job with Toronto. He at least wouldn't burden the Pens with lots of unmoveable contracts I don't' think.

Reactions: Pens x

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I am probably the biggest skeptic of hockey stats on the board, but even I think it's dumb to ignore them completely, especially when the team is failing on all levels-- analytically, the eye test, the actual results on the ice.

I've said it a thousand times, I'm as big of an analytic proponent as you may come across, it's literally what I do for a living. Not hockey mind you. BUT...data analytics is a small piece of a big pie. I don't expect my CEO to make sweeping strategic organizational changes based on a Tableau bar graph I made in 4 minutes nor would I expect any GM to trade for players solely because of a WAR chart.

Ignoring analytics is like going to build a house but leaving your drill behind. Relying ONLY on analytics is going to build a house and leaving everything except your drill behind. In both cases, you end up with a shitty house that doesn't win hockey games.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Dubas, at the very least, is an exciting GM who built a strong young team. They can't do shit in the playoffs, sure, but my admiration for Sid and Geno notwithstanding, I'd much rather watch a team like the Leafs of the last 5 years than the Pens of the last 5 years.
I know I'm gonna get pelted with tomatoes for this but I think people read way too much into playoff results as well. It's really hard to win in the playoffs, and to a degree really random. A lot can and does go wrong over 7 game stretches. The Bruins could have easily lost to us in a 7 game series had we made it and it's not because we're good but because stupid shit can happen in small stretches. Goalies can get hot. Normally good players can struggle. That shit evens out over 82 but not always over 7.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dubas, at the very least, is an exciting GM who built a strong young team. They can't do shit in the playoffs, sure, but my admiration for Sid and Geno notwithstanding, I'd much rather watch a team like the Leafs of the last 5 years than the Pens of the last 5 years.

What about the Leafs is strong and young and built by Dubas?

The entire core was built before Dubas got there.

Reactions: Pens x

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Leafs could win the Cup, which is like months away still. Dubas isn’t gonna leave Toronto if they win the Cup. So potentially the whole idea is totally moot - even if they don’t win if they go deep do you want FSG waiting like that? I dunno.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022

either or Flonder stomach is growling for a dozen of Krispie Kreme Donuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad