Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I looked into my claim further. Using:

Hockey Reference's ages of players relative to the season they played
a loosely defined "made it to the NHL" parameter
the defenders from the 8 good teams last season of COL, TB, NYR, EDM, STL, FLA, CAR, CGY
the defenders from the 4 poop teams last season of PHI, SEA, ARI, MTL

I ended up getting 95 NHL-defenders. And from that I wrote down their ages when they first became a full time NHLer.

Lowest age, clearly, was 18. Highest age was 27. Average was 22.2 and mode was 24. Sample Standard Deviation was 2.06.

I forget my stats class from like 15 years ago so I'm not 100% certain on this next sentence. But I think with my sample size I can say that with 95% confidence that NHL defenders make it between ages 18.1 and 26.3. And if I want to change that to 75%, then the ages change to 19.8 and 24.6.

Also, we can't say what ages this generation of players are peaking at since they're still playing.

Using this, I guess POJ has til January 2024 til I give up on him. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
McCann and Kap are both supremely one-dimensional, third line guys, imo. The difference is McCann's got an elite shot and actually produces at a good clip, albeit regular season only. Kap just skates real fast, that's it--that's all he's got. :laugh: They're both streaky as f***, and pretty whatever guys though.

Only thing I would've done differently is expose Carter and protect McCann--just to shop/trade McCann without the impending pressure of the expansion draft. Don't really give a single f*** that the team "lost" McCann and Tanev, tbh. No real clue how or why anyone does if I'm being honest.

They're both players with some intriguing individual skills that are too dumb to use them effectively and are therefore extremely inconsistent. McCann was put in a pretty prime position last season and he made the most of it... individually. Neither player is going to help their linemates or overall team much IMO.

I don't really get missing McCann honestly. And I'm certainly no big fan of Carter's.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They're both players with some intriguing individual skills that are too dumb to use them effectively and are therefore extremely inconsistent. McCann was put in a pretty prime position last season and he made the most of it... individually. Neither player is going to help their linemates or overall team much IMO.

I don't really get missing McCann honestly. And I'm certainly no big fan of Carter's.
My "are you outta your mind?" fantasyland scenario had Carter being claimed and the new 3rd line being something like McCann-Blueger-Tanev. Don't ask about the 4th line, frankly didn't think that far ahead and never gave a f*** about the 4th line. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Really good opportunity to slip POJ through waivers after this. Florida was one team that I thought would definitely claim him off of waivers, but they claimed Mahura instead.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yikes, imagine being content with Pettersson in your top 4. Talk about not having standards. Also, Dumo is nowhere near a top pairing dman.

I think people are dramatically overestimating our defense.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I know I praised the deal in Kapanen's first season but I still can't believe JR traded a 1st rounder for him.

The Zucker deal made sense and Zucker just fell off a bit due to injuries. They bought a bit high on him, but the price they paid was reasonable for the caliber of player Zucker was at the time. But Kapanen? Dude was a middle-6 tweener that put up about 45 points while playing pretty exclusively with Auston Matthews. He was never a legitimate top-6 forward for the Leafs, but JR paid for him like he thought he was a top-6 forward.

The galaxy brain JR had to go through to value Kapanen at a 1st and a decent prospect while valuing McCann way lower makes no sense to me. Those two were effectively the same exact player, Kapanen just got more opportunities in Toronto than McCann got in Florida or Pittsburgh.
What do you have to say about the galaxy brain of extending Kap to a multi-year, $6.4 mil deal this summer?

Somehow, I’m sure this isn’t Hextall’s fault.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Jesus, I had no idea Jarred Tinordi was still in the league. I love waivers time.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If I have to guess I'd say first unit will be Dumo-Rutta, 2nd unit Tanger-Petry, Pettersson as the spare. Maybe Pettersson on second unit.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Chychrun-Letang
Dumo-Petry
Smith-Rutta

Happy?
I like the idea of Chychrun but I hate his durability. Combine that with the Penguins curse...not sure he'd make it out of his first practice here.
Mike Reilly on waivers. He's a decent good third-pairing guy.
Yeah, I wouldn't argue that but we have Mike Rielly, he just goes by Chad Rudwedel or Mark Freidman. I cna't imagine he's any better than Smith or POJ at this point either.

Reactions: BHD and 66-30-33

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Non Pens related, but there seems to be a lot of that floating around today:

Are there any teams that are going to need to do something drastic in the next few hours to get compliant? Seems like there are quite a few teams over the cap at the moment. Do they all have options for LTIR or non waiver demotions to get in compliance, or are we going to see an over the cap team get fleeced on a cap dump trade in an hour to get compliant?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It really amazes me how many people are so quick to sell low on players like Brock mcginn or p o j. We don't have to move either at this point and I sure as hell don't want to sell low on them either. Let's wait things out a bit, with Smith being sent down at least for the next couple of days we have the option to try and make a trade, or see if poj can Accord himself nicely early on in the season. Neither of those two scenarios seems extraordinary to me. But I'm certainly not for dumping players and selling low. I just never understood that philosophy. I don't see it prudent to jettison poj or Mginn at this point. We haven't even played a game yet for Pete's sake!

We wouldn't be selling low on McGinn since they didn't trade any assets for him. McGinn is just an expensive player to use on the 4th line. POJ is much easier to keep around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad