Salary Cap: Pens Salary thread: It has been 0 days since our last injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Preseason is about to kick off. New thread time. Continue:

I'll be suprised if DOC, Big Z, or Arch beat out Poehling for the 12 spot.

Samesies. People think their is “competition” going into camp, but IMO Poehling and Ty Smith have the 12th and 6th roles guaranteed.

My hope
12F - Poehling
13F - Big Z
Waive - Arch
DOC - AHL - first call up

6D- Smith
7D/8D - POJ/Ruh
Waive - Friedman

I'd like to keep Friedman up TBH, because we are really lacking in the sandpaper/agitation department and that's something he certainly brings while being fine in his role defensively. That said, I recognize that Sully hates those kinds of players, so I'll be shocked if he's still up come the end of camp. And even if he is, he won't be getting a lot of ice time, barring injuries.

If we run a 23 man roster, yeah.

If we run 22, it gets a bit more awkward very quickly.

Hope next offseason Pens target Gudas.

Here you go Sully!

I prefer Friedman over Ruhwedel tbh.

Friedman can be a little rough around the edges sometimes but I've always really liked the way the team seems to respond when he does get out there. And to my eyes he's never made what I would consider TOO many mistakes of the egregious type. He's not gonna cost you games. And like you said he actually brings something a little different to the table.

Like Gurgs said... I definitely prefer him over Ruh. Ruh is great because he seems willing to stick around on the relative cheap and is a low event kind of guy that won't do much but won't cost you either. And most importantly you can have him ride the bench as an extra without feeling bad about it. But Spearman seems like a significantly more dynamic player.

Ruh is basically the definition of a low-event defenseman so as long as he's willing he's the ideal 7/8 type. Just keep signing him back to short deals with a progressively bit higher amount of money on each because I mean, we aren't monsters and those head razors aren't cheap.

Friedman being both sided is important as an extra too.

Ruh's a damn useful guy to be around and I don't care enough to do more than shrug when it happens, but I'd probably keep Friedman over him unless Fried blows it.

I also think Friedman's done enough to be claimed on waivers although he probably won't as the NHL just seems awash with players right now.

In my dream world someone finally pays Hextall's price for Pettersson at the last moment, f*** knows why.

Friedman will be claimed by the Flyers.

You all forget the possibility of the Pens inviting some scrub as a PTO to camp “that has no chance to make the team” make the team. They could also go after ZAR if he’s cut from Toronto. Don’t count out Sully and Hextall’s stupidity yet.

Simon saved this team from himself. We should be very grateful. This team would have run Archibald and Simon on their fourth line if it was up to tweedle dee and tweedle dum.

I really want camp to start, Boyle to retire, and ZAR to get his one year, league minimum deal done with Toronto.

Friedman is also really great to have around to troll Philly. Which never gets old.

I still don't know what he did to those guys but holy shit does he seem to trigger them.

Well Ya...but Sully will 100% have Ruh on this roster. Don't put it past him to slam down a Ruh-Rutta pairing.

Friedman is #9 on the depth chart at this point and brings a highly redundant skill set outside of his snarl, which you can get elsewhere.

They need to clear roster spots for POJ and eventually Smith. Keeping a pure depth guy who just has one unique trait that you can probably get elsewhere is just something I can't agree with. Maybe you can argue Ruhwedel is more redundant, but Ruhwedel is also comfortably better IMO.

A pair of Pet(s) and a Pair of Ru(s). It almost makes me wonder what Paul Steigerwald would do with that.

I don't care what all the stuffy people say give me back Steggy and Bob. What a beautiful and entertaining train wreck they were.

Mears is so bland.

I get not liking Mears. That's totally valid. Dude is about as exciting as a bucket of wallpaper paste.

But let's not go nuts, here. I'm not so sure we're remembering what an absolute putz Steigerwald was.

I actually didn't get as worked up over that as a lot of people did. Though I mean... obviously a uh... odd joke to make, there.

I got more annoyed at his... oh I dunno... basic inability to do his job.

If that had been Jack Edwards folks would have said "Eh it's just Jack being Jack!" and moved on with their lives.

One of the most entertaining things Steigy ever did IN his career IMO

It was certainly a spicy switchup from not being able to tell Jarkko Ruutu and Crosby apart, pumping up the most basic of things done by role players like Craig Adams (what an absolutely masterful dump in there, Bob!) and calling goals that clearly weren't goals and vice versa.

I mean, we'll never forget Kunitz was there.....but as bad as shit like Mears and "the Brockstar" is, yeah, the constant actual mistakes Steigy kept making in the twilight years were just too much.

I don't want to believe this. The issue with his team in the past has been guaranteeing players roles and I hope they have changed with some roster turn over.

But we will see soon enough.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
tear rolls down Bettman's cheek "Mr. Crosby please come get your 4th Stanley Cup!"

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
real question from a guy who has stopped paying attention to anything but the biggest news and games:

Do we still have too many players / too much cap and need to trade someone away? Wasn't that a thing at one point?

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
real question from a guy who has stopped paying attention to anything but the biggest news and games:

Do we still have too many players / too much cap and need to trade someone away? Wasn't that a thing at one point?

Yes-ish. Capfriendly has us at 24 players and 1.480175m over the cap.

That situation, assuming they are entirely accurate, is entirely solvable by going to a 22 man roster. Banish DOC and Friedman to WBS and they're about 45k under.

How happy the front office will be to do that remains unseen. But we either need to trade a decent salary or go 22 men - but it is an or, we don't absolutely have to do the former.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

They need to make a move I believe but not much of one. I think sending a guy like Archibald down would even do it.

EDIT: Better answer from @Peat

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lol at Sullivan allowing Hextall to send down Archibald. Just like last season when I was told Simon would be sent down; he was nothing but a depth signing. We love playing garbage guys on this team over the last two seasons.

It’s fun to pretend that Archibald won’t be in the lineup.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kristopher Letang

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The more time has gone on and I’ve been thinking about it and reflecting on all the other signings/extensions this summer with teams trying to get ahead of the curve, the more I think the Pens should be looking to extend Jarry, as well as having a feeling that they are indeed engaged in such discussions.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think extending Jarry is an obvious thing the Penguins should be doing when it's cheap to do it, but I will admit there is a discussion to be had regarding his playoff track record. Jarry's entire playoff record dating back to juniors isn't exactly flattering, he had the 1 great run with the Oil Kings in 2014 but has been a dud in the playoffs outside of that.

I'd extend him right now if he'd be willing to sign a Kuemper type of extension, but if he wants more money, I'd tell him to prove it in the playoffs before committing to him. Unless Jarry wins a Vezina or a cup this year, he's not realistically going to price himself out of Pittsburgh if they don't sign him now.

Reactions: Fordy

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I’d prefer Sleepy doesn’t re-sign Jarry until he proves he isn’t a total spaz in the playoffs. I don’t want another early 2010’s Fleury in net.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The more time has gone on and I’ve been thinking about it and reflecting on all the other signings/extensions this summer with teams trying to get ahead of the curve, the more I think the Pens should be looking to extend Jarry, as well as having a feeling that they are indeed engaged in such discussions.
“Getting ahead of the curve” sure didn’t work out well with Carter.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yes-ish. Capfriendly has us at 24 players and 1.480175m over the cap.

That situation, assuming they are entirely accurate, is entirely solvable by going to a 22 man roster. Banish DOC and Friedman to WBS and they're about 45k under.

How happy the front office will be to do that remains unseen. But we either need to trade a decent salary or go 22 men - but it is an or, we don't absolutely have to do the former.

People need to remember they actually need near 1.0 for callups. They need to shed 2.4-ish not 1.4-ish.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
People need to remember they actually need near 1.0 for callups. They need to shed 2.4-ish not 1.4-ish.

Eh. The cushion's very nice but they don't *need* it. There's been enough teams operating very very close to the cap the last few seasons that I don't think its needed. Rely on LTIR and maybe even the emergency exemptions if still there to get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad