Salary Cap: Pens Salary thread: It has been 0 days since our last injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
There's an issue here with his next contract. I'd be ok with it if Hextall got him on a 5M couple year deal now. Our issues arise if he does "prove it" and demands like 7M for multiple years.

That with the leverage of a poor replacement plan for him. There's a lot to go into this beyond "he hasn't proven his playoff worth".
Well in that case, the risk we take to pay an extra 1.5-2 million is money well-spent. I don't see his value coming up that much anyway unless he brings us to the Cup, in which case, who even cares at that point. We're in this to win it, aren't we?

Happy to give him money if he brings us another Cup for the 87/71/58 era.

What if you re-sign Jarry but he continues to play like ass in the playoffs? I don’t really want to have to deal with fans here blindly defending a crappy goalie like the early 2010’s again .
That's really my point here. Instead of justifying him as a top-13 goalie or whatever, can we maybe just get a playoff series win out of the guy before we give him a big raise and term?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
What if you re-sign Jarry but he continues to play like ass in the playoffs? I don’t really want to have to deal with fans here blindly defending a crappy goalie like the early 2010’s again .
Can you believe that jarry pulling his pants down in the playoffs was basically 18 months ago?
Time needs to be slowed down it just goes faster and faster.
Oh...
Anyway...
That jarry will be almost two years ago come playoffs (where yet again the penguins will have a chance at a baffling/shocking/expected/watever first round exit) and we still don't know if he is a playoff performer.
He was hurt last year, and ANYTHING.... seriously... find a guy in the crowd eating nachos.... would've been better than watever his nuts name was..

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Well in that case, the risk we take to pay an extra 1.5-2 million is money well-spent. I don't see his value coming up that much anyway unless he brings us to the Cup, in which case, who even cares at that point. We're in this to win it, aren't we?

That's really my point here. Instead of justifying him as a top-13 goalie or whatever, can we maybe just get a playoff series win out of the guy before we give him a big raise and term?
That's fine we can certainly go that route and probably will. If he plays similar to last regular season and wins a round though I promise you we will be paying 6M+ with term. We have no leverage with him. Honestly that's the most likely scenario is us maybe winning 1 round and him playing decent hockey.

Of course we all want him to help win us a cup.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
That's fine we can certainly go that route and probably will. If he plays similar to last regular season and wins a round though I promise you we will be paying 6M+ with term. We have no leverage with him. Honestly that's the most likely scenario is us maybe winning 1 round and him playing decent hockey.

Of course we all want him to help win us a cup.
That is never going to happen unless they land some young next generation star that will take over sans sid.
This team is built to hang around and win, but they aren't build to beat the top contenders, too old.

Harsh reminders the penguins are going to ride sid geno and tang into the blood red sun set and not do a damn thing to avoid the approaching cliff. Just going to walk right off it.

**which.... I understand.... well, part of me. There may not be any thing they can do..... so I donno.*
But the steelers are foreshadowing the penguins --- when the star(s) carrying the team retire.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This is from “One bold prediction for each NHL team” from Sportsnet…here’s the Pens, lol…please god, no….let them be wrong

Pittsburgh Penguins: The landing spot for Jonathan Toews​

I'm more writing this one to will it into existence. At the 2006 NHL Draft, the Penguins took Jordan Staal second overall, leaving Toews for the Blackhawks at third. Now here we are, with Toews on the way out of Chicago and the Penguins trying to duct tape together a contender year by year. Toews isn't the force he once was, and salary retention is absolutely necessary, but it's a nice storyline to think about Toews and Sidney Crosby coming together finally in the later stages of their career.

Reactions: StaalForOne

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
This is from “One bold prediction for each NHL team” from Sportsnet…here’s the Pens, lol…please god, no….let them be wrong

I'm more writing this one to will it into existence. At the 2006 NHL Draft, the Penguins took Jordan Staal second overall, leaving Toews for the Blackhawks at third. Now here we are, with Toews on the way out of Chicago and the Penguins trying to duct tape together a contender year by year. Toews isn't the force he once was, and salary retention is absolutely necessary, but it's a nice storyline to think about Toews and Sidney Crosby coming together finally in the later stages of their career.
I think the $86k in cap space with a 22-man roster would have something to say about this.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the $86k in cap space with a 22-man roster would have something to say about this.
You do remember that this is the Pens we’re talking about…someone and probably more than one will be on LTIR by the trade deadline lol

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Agreed 100%. He needs to prove it, regardless of fans here convincing themselves he’s a good goalie because he had fun at the all star game and challenging Marchand.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Trade deadline is March 3rd which is 42 days left in the season. If a team acquires Toews that day at only 25% cap hit (2 teams retain 50%), then that's only $595,946 added to a team's cap for the year.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If we don't re-sign him we might not even continue to make the playoffs, so bit of a damned if you do damned if you dont scenario there.

I think playoff mental struggles can be worked on/improved anyways. Maf sure got a lot better there after his disastrous 2010-13 stretch.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
If we don't re-sign him we might not even continue to make the playoffs, so bit of a damned if you do damned if you dont scenario there.

I think playoff mental struggles can be worked on/improved anyways. Maf sure got a lot better there after his disastrous 2010-13 stretch.

I'm nitpicking, but he wasn't great in the 2014 playoffs vs CBJ either.
I'd say after that series, he seemed to get his act together

Reactions: Pancakes

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

Not to mention we are not exactly talking about a "playoff stretch" of Jarry being disastrous. We are talking about a bad series 2 years ago against the Isles. Just a small sample size we need to see more

Reactions: Pancakes

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

I think Towes reguardless of what contender/playoff teams he goes to will provide a solid boost to that team. Outside of last season he was up there as one of the surest things for over a decade of a 50-60 point player in the NHL.

Sure he isn't what he used to be but he can still definitely play

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Not to mention we are not exactly talking about a "playoff stretch" of Jarry being disastrous. We are talking about a bad series 2 years ago against the Isles. Just a small sample size we need to see more

I look at it like this: I'm more concerned about CDS being available for a damn playoff game than I am about Jarry's postseason performance.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I think Towes reguardless of what contender/playoff teams he goes to will provide a solid boost to that team. Outside of last season he was up there as one of the surest things for over a decade of a 50-60 point player in the NHL.

Sure he isn't what he used to be but he can still definitely play
I would think the Hawks would be more concerned about getting him to his preferred destination than maximizing his value, but with him missing an entire season due to that mystery illness and not exactly lighting the world on fire last year. I'd say it's an easy pass. Maybe if we didn't already have Carter.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If this team manages to bank enough cap to make a big play at forward and opts to go with Jonathan flippin' Toews that'd be hilarious. Not in a good way.

Reactions: Andy99

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I would think the Hawks would be more concerned about getting him to his preferred destination than maximizing his value, but with him missing an entire season due to that mystery illness and not exactly lighting the world on fire last year. I'd say it's an easy pass. Maybe if we didn't already have Carter.
Maybe a little concerned but Towes wasn't really playing with Kane/Debrincat last season he was playing with younger guys and Kublick and Johnson and the Hawks were spreading out the wealth.

Even with that being said I still think our priorities are a legit top 4 dman and a top 6 winger. Towes doesn't necessarily check those boxes

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Maybe a little concerned but Towes wasn't really playing with Kane/Debrincat last season he was playing with younger guys and Kublick and Johnson and the Hawks were spreading out the wealth.

Even with that being said I still think our priorities are a legit top 4 dman and a top 6 winger. Towes doesn't necessarily check those boxes
We should be hard after Kane, not Toews lol…

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014

We got Rutta from TB and Carter from LA. We need something from Chi.

Reactions: Pens x and Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

We don’t have 3 years to waste on Jarry rebounding mentally. We’ve pissed away five consecutive playoffs - no more.

Yes, exactly, we need to see more before extending him. Aka, don’t re-sign him beige the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad