Salary Cap: Pens Salary thread: It has been 0 days since our last injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think we’ve seen enough out of Jarry to say he is in the 10-15 range in terms of goaltending.

In the current crop of NHL goaltenders Jarry is clearly in the 5 to 10 range. NHL goaltending is not what it once was, or do I think the best of the best reached past the top ten anyways.

Jarry resides closer to 5 to 7 than 10 or later.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Non Pens related, but there seems to be a lot of that floating around today:

Are there any teams that are going to need to do something drastic in the next few hours to get compliant? Seems like there are quite a few teams over the cap at the moment. Do they all have options for LTIR or non waiver demotions to get in compliance, or are we going to see an over the cap team get fleeced on a cap dump trade in an hour to get compliant?

I'll be driving once 5 o'clock hits, but yeah I'm very intrigued but what teams'll do.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I can name at least 7 goalies better than Jarry. Vas, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Saros, Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Fleury, maybe Swayman, Oettinger and Demko.

Reactions: Pens x

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
In the current crop of NHL goaltenders Jarry is clearly in the 5 to 10 range. NHL goaltending is not what it once was, or do I think the best of the best reached past the top ten anyways.

Jarry resides closer to 5 to 7 than 10 or later.
First half of the regular season, possibly. He’s been bottom 14-16 in the playoffs.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
McCann strikes me much the same as Kapanen in many ways TBH. And I am reluctant to make sweeping judgements based on one season on a shitshow team where SOMEONE had to put points up.
McCann plays harder, very good defensively, plays Centre and his shot is crazy.

Like atleast McCann gives you something if he's cold, imo he's a much better player than Kap.

I don't miss Mccann though. The player that stings that we lost for no reason is Gaudreau, who played fantastic here, and seems to have grew into a good 3C.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We wouldn't be selling low on McGinn since they didn't trade any assets for him. McGinn is just an expensive player to use on the 4th line. POJ is much easier to keep around.
I guess that I think McGinn has more value than many around here do. I think though he's seemingly expensive he has more to offer the team. I'd like to see more from him before we just try to get rid of him for whatever spare part we can possibly get back. I actually liked the signing at the time. clearly he's been underwhelming but he still has 3 years left on this contract I believe, I'd like to see how he at least starts the season give him at least 20 or 30 games. If we move him we very likely would have to give up another asset to do so. I just don't think it's a good idea I think he is more value to the team than he does outside of the organization. Hopefully he'll play himself into a position where that'll change.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can name at least 7 goalies better than Jarry. Vas, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Saros, Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Fleury, maybe Swayman, Oettinger and Demko.

The last 2 seasons: NHL Stats

The last 3 seasons: NHL Stats

Some easy yes's, but I think some of them are very subjective, or some personal preferences. I don't think Jarry places out of the top 10. Not bad for a guy backstopping a team that is always a constant injury man games lost leader.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
ross.jpg

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Yeah Jarry's a guy where you'd think surely there are guys that are way more consistently good but the reality is that that's just the goalie position. There are like 2-3 guys in the NHL at any one time that are consistently great and another 3-5 that are good enough to have at least one great year. Being "above average" in any year is being a top 10 goalie in the NHL.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm working on the Salary Cap spreadsheet of mine for this season and should have it updated by Thursday. First full day of the NHL season is today (with the exception of those two teams that played in Europe those two days) and lasts for 185 days to April 13th.

Jack Johnson is costing us $10,360 per day.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Maybe Oettinger? Maybe Demko? I would swap Jarry with those guys in a heartbeat.

Add Andersen and Kuemper to the list as well.

Jarry isn't a top 10 goalie in this league. To say he's almost top 5 is just insanity. Have you all lost your f***ing mind?

Reactions: Pens x

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

1 of these things is not like the other. Current MAF is not in this class
Agree w/ the rest of your list though

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Maybe Oettinger? Maybe Demko? I would swap Jarry with those guys in a heartbeat.

Add Andersen and Kuemper to the list as well.

Jarry isn't a top 10 goalie in this league. To say he's almost top 5 is just insanity. Have you all lost your f***ing mind?
Here's my thing. Like every goalie they go through hot streaks and their stats heavily rely on the team and system in front of them.

Jarry's skillset in a vacuum is probably in the 8-13 range of starting goalies IMO. Though he has had spurts like the beginning of last year where he carried this team and was a top tier tender.

Like all goalies his worth lies in his cheap contract. If he stays under 6M on a new deal that's still alright but north of that is a no from me.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Jarry last year was a different animal, you could tell in his demeanor and how he carried himself. Much more confident and he was having fun out there. If you didnt see it watch the Boston game where he was giving it back to Marchand.

Guy was having fun in the ASG

I am not worried about Jarry, I am worried about him staying healthy when it matters.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Jarry last year was a different animal, you could tell in his demeanor and how he carried himself. Much more confident and he was having fun out there. If you didnt see it watch the Boston game where he was giving it back to Marchand.

Guy was having fun in the ASG

I am not worried about Jarry, I am worried about him staying healthy when it matters.
Exactly. On our list of worries this year, he's very low and it's mostly just health related.

He's on a terrific contract for what he can provide.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Here's my thing. Like every goalie they go through hot streaks and their stats heavily rely on the team and system in front of them.

Jarry's skillset in a vacuum is probably in the 8-13 range of starting goalies IMO. Though he has had spurts like the beginning of last year where he carried this team and was a top tier tender.

Like all goalies his worth lies in his cheap contract. If he stays under 6M on a new deal that's still alright but north of that is a no from me.
I don't think Jarry's issue is hot streaks so much as terrible timing and not showing up in big games when he's needed. It's not his fault outright, but the facts are he has 2 playoff wins to his name despite 3 seasons of playing as #1 goalie in Pittsburgh.

10-13 range is not far off for him but he has yet to really prove anything in this league. It's timing more than anything but please let's not crown this guy at this stage. Most of all I just hope Hextall makes him earn his next contract.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I don't think Jarry's issue is hot streaks so much as terrible timing and not showing up in big games when he's needed. It's not his fault outright, but the facts are he has 2 playoff wins to his name despite 3 seasons of playing as #1 goalie in Pittsburgh.

10-13 range is not far off for him but he has yet to really prove anything in this league. It's timing more than anything but please let's not crown this guy at this stage. Most of all I just hope Hextall makes him earn his next contract.
The Isles series was on Jarry, and it was fair to assess if he was even going to be on the team after that. He came back last year on fire and was a different goalie

Last year wasn't on Jarry at all, I was excited to see him with the way he played all year and it was unfortunate he was injured at the wrong time. If anything he pushed back in a position he was not ready to try and get a win b/c Loui D was falling apart. If you are holding last year against him with how he was playing when healthy I dont know what to tell you.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

There's an issue here with his next contract. I'd be ok with it if Hextall got him on a 5M couple year deal now. Our issues arise if he does "prove it" and demands like 7M for multiple years.

That with the leverage of a poor replacement plan for him. There's a lot to go into this beyond "he hasn't proven his playoff worth".

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
What if you re-sign Jarry but he continues to play like ass in the playoffs? I don’t really want to have to deal with fans here blindly defending a crappy goalie like the early 2010’s again .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille