Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I've not been in the office since February 2018 and I've been thriving. Before that my boss and I always clashed. Partly because he forced me to change offices from downtown PGH (10 minute bus commute) to Southpointe (40 minutes to & at least 70 minutes from) and I was not happy about that. Especially when he still had engineers working in other offices even farther away.

Reactions: Rave7215

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I've not been in the office since February 2018 and I've been thriving. Before that my boss and I always clashed. Partly because he forced me to change offices from downtown PGH (10 minute bus commute) to Southpointe (40 minutes to & at least 70 minutes from) and I was not happy about that. Especially when he still had engineers working in other offices even farther away.
you just need to get out of al. co.

Andy P

Dec 21, 2018
Guentzel-Crosby-Granlund
Johnsson-Malkin-Rakell
Smith-Eller-Rust
DOC-Acciari-Hinostroza/Nieto

Graves-Letang
Petterson-Petry
POJ-Rutta
Smith-Ruhwedal

Jarry
Ned

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Never once WFHed. Has its pros and cons.

It’s definitely more difficult starting a new job when WFH, but I look at it as time being the most precious asset we have. WFH affords you more of it on your terms and with those close to you.

I think a cool compromise would be hybrid and 4 day work week schedule. I’m salaried so I already work longer hours. Give me 3 days off, and I’ll give it everything I got for those 4 days.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Broken down a little.

Second half of the season he played Rust and Crosby 40 more minutes than he did Rakell and Crosby.

Rakell and Crosby had a 54% goal share, Rust and Crosby had a 70% goal share.

Which means Rakell and Malkin play more than Rust and Malkin, and Rakell and Malkin have a 40% goal share and Rust and Malkin 58%.

That works out as maybe he should have stuck with Rakell with Sid and Rust with Malkin more, as that gets you +5, while the other way around only gets you +3. But I get him sticking the stronger player at the time with Sid, and not overly disturbing the pairing getting big results.

And I am somewhat shrug energy over whether he goes with the top 6 usage that gets +5 vs +3. That doesn't kill you.

Breaking it down more granularly could produce another picture again.

Point in case - to look at the end - Malkin-Rust don't have a game with over 6 minutes after 20th March. In the preceding 8 games where they get some 6 or more minutes together, they only have one goal. If it's not happening, why push it? Malkin-Rakell score in that 20th March game and don't go more than 3 games without a goal for the rest of the season. Ditto Crosby-Rust.

I can't speak for the whole of it as I am indeed out of patience but it looks quite reasonable in terms of timing and going with the hot hand.
Is this all 5v5? Empty net goals could skew it in favor of Crosby-Rust since Sullivan would put GCRu on for empty netters basically the entire season.

It is interesting, though, that the perception around here is that Rust is the fat cat who stopped caring and we're doomed because we gave him a NMC while Rakell is the guy we wish he could clone a few times. The results certainly don't support that view.

Reactions: Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Give an example please.
I looked it up because I was curious, too.

1. Eat fiber first
2. Eat fats and proteins second
3. Finish with starches and sweet carbs (I assume this means fruit, not desserts)
4. Avoid eating carbs by themselves
5. Exercise after eating

Also suggests eating savory foods for breakfast (so not syrup drenched @Pancakes ) and to drink a tablespoon of vinegar diluted in water before eating anything sweet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I looked it up because I was curious, too.

1. Eat fiber first
2. Eat fats and proteins second
3. Finish with starches and sweet carbs (I assume this means fruit, not desserts)
4. Avoid eating carbs by themselves
5. Exercise after eating

Also suggests eating savory foods for breakfast (so not syrup drenched @Pancakes ) and to drink a tablespoon of vinegar diluted in water before eating anything sweet.

Moving after eating really does help digestion. But I think life is simpler.

- Walk because it's very healthy
- Strength Train (weights, bands, dbs, kbs, anything) because building muscle helps so much
- Eat protein (attempt for 70+% of your body weight in protein lbs/gs)

If the majority of people just kept to those things. Walk 3-4 times a week, strength train 2-3 times a week, and eat high protein each day... most problems would disappear.

And sorry mods. It's the boring summer. I know we've taken this off course. :laugh:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
To be fair, a huge majority of jobs can be done just as well from home as they can in person. I like literally 10 minutes from my office but I only go in once or twice a week, just because I have an effective work setup that doesn't prevent me from getting work done at home.

Granted I have a super niche skillset so I can't get replaced all that easily, but still. The major reason these companies want workers to go back into the office is so they don't have the sunk cost of spending all of this money on office space :laugh:

Unsure if this is totally snark and I'm not picking up on the sarcasm, but speaking through the HR lens that isn't entirely the reason. The downside with WFH is the social component/camaraderie that cannot be replicated WFH. I also can't mention how much company knowledge I've picked up just by osmosis or overhearing a conversation about some tribal knowledge.

Furthermore, we talk about the mental health crisis in the US and I believe the WFH isolation is a major component of that.

Don't get me wrong, I think WFH is great in some respects. It allows flexibility and that is something that employers should have been giving on long ago, but I feel like it's rubber banded to the other extreme where people are fully WFH. Let's have a middle ground (just like politics)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

- Strength Train (weights, bands, dbs, kbs, anything) because building muscle helps so much

If the majority of people just kept to those things. Walk 3-4 times a week, strength train 2-3 times a week, and eat high protein each day... most problems would disappear.

And sorry mods. It's the boring summer. I know we've taken this off course. :laugh:
Oh, maybe that's why my life is going downhill. I don't do any of that!

Just kidding...kind of :laugh:. I would add to your list to stop eating/drinking so much sugar.

Also, I wasn't necessarily supporting that Glucose Revolution theory, just providing a summary of what it says. Although, to not start your day with a mound of carbs and sugar sauce seems to be pretty obvious to me.

• Love
Reactions: ColePens

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Unsure if this is totally snark and I'm not picking up on the sarcasm, but speaking through the HR lens that isn't entirely the reason. The downside with WFH is the social component/camaraderie that cannot be replicated WFH. I also can't mention how much company knowledge I've picked up just by osmosis or overhearing a conversation about some tribal knowledge.

Furthermore, we talk about the mental health crisis in the US and I believe the WFH isolation is a major component of that.

Don't get me wrong, I think WFH is great in some respects. It allows flexibility and that is something that employers should have been giving on long ago, but I feel like it's rubber banded to the other extreme where people are fully WFH. Let's have a middle ground (just like politics)

Not to mention, if the company does not need me in the office there is nothing to eventually stop them from outsourcing my job to India at 20% of the cost.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm WFH forever at this point. There's plenty of jobs in my industry that are WFH and I intend to ride that wave as long as I can

Same. Haven't been in an office since March '20. Would take something monumental to get me to back to an office.

Whole company (15k+ btw, not small) is like 98-99% WFH.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If this is the offer, I’m not surprised the trade hasn’t happened yet lol…don’t think the Sharks are interested in this offer

That's the same proposal we discussed yesterday minus Smith and 35% retention instead of 40%.

Not surprised you still don't think it's reasonable :laugh: especially since they aren't even getting Smith....although they are saving more money.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Never once WFHed. Has its pros and cons.

One of those things that, once you're used to it, it's hard to imagine things before it.

We constantly poll employees and the results are usually anywhere between 90 and 95 percent wish to stay WFH. I've never seen a score less than the 9:1 split. Productivity hasn't dropped a smidge, retention has slightly increased (I believe it a bigger increase as the 'great reshuffle' or whatever recently happened so being positive on the scale is a bigger factor than the decimal), and general employee satisfaction scores have increased.

I think it's one of those things that's all about timing in life. If I were 20 again, I might think I like it but I'd be missing out on potential friendships and partnerships / dating. Since I'm not - and I'm married and have youth in the house - I wouldn't trade having lunch with my family for any sort of raise or new title. Ask me again in a decade and perhaps I'd like to start going in again. Forcing anything one way or the other is stupid. The answer lies in the middle is an adage that applies almost universally.

Will be a great case study in a decade or 3 - the great shift of having more fathers in the household. Prior to WFH I'd see my youngest for 1 hour before work (if I was lucky) and 1 hour after work. No company - or nation - is worth that.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Eat food that doesn't try to kill you first of all. -- FASTFOOD
Grocery stores are filled with 90% GARBAGE. Stick to the healthy parts.
Visit local farms and support them. ie Try actual fresh milk, not pasteurized.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad