Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Randy is a city guy. Like an OG Lawrenceville guy. He's coooool and hip.

I certainly wouldn't say I'm cool and hip.

Authenticity.png

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I'm WFH forever at this point. There's plenty of jobs in my industry that are WFH and I intend to ride that wave as long as I can

Yeah I would easily just find a new job if they ever tried to force us back into the office. There are just way too many positives that come with WFH to ever want to go back into an office and deal with traffic and all the office politics.

I get the socialization aspect, and it’s not like I dislike my coworkers, but I was never and don’t see myself ever becoming someone who gets their social fix from work. I like to keep my life and work completely separate.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
To be fair, a huge majority of jobs can be done just as well from home as they can in person. I like literally 10 minutes from my office but I only go in once or twice a week, just because I have an effective work setup that doesn't prevent me from getting work done at home.

Granted I have a super niche skillset so I can't get replaced all that easily, but still. The major reason these companies want workers to go back into the office is so they don't have the sunk cost of spending all of this money on office space :laugh:

+ The majority of decision makers in traditional companies have decent "nice(?)" offices in those buildings and have status. The elevator rides, showing up and having a parking spot, the desk greeting them because they're 'something'...those same people were raised and worked hard in a system that disappeared from them seemingly overnight.

I have a nicer office in my house than anyone outside of maybe C-Suite individuals could claim in any of these boring ass office parks. I also dress however I feel like it and don't have to brown nose to anyone. Don't have to feel grateful for shitty bagels brought in.

It's just a familiarity that they (I say they because I don't see pushback whatsoever from the 'doers' of the companies) are uncomfortable losing. What makes our VPs and Presidents so special when we don't walk past their office daily? When they're in their own houses with retired wives/husbands and their dogs? The few business trips I've seen - it's those folks that are over-the-moon about being in the position of power ...in person...again.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is this all 5v5? Empty net goals could skew it in favor of Crosby-Rust since Sullivan would put GCRu on for empty netters basically the entire season.

It is interesting, though, that the perception around here is that Rust is the fat cat who stopped caring and we're doomed because we gave him a NMC while Rakell is the guy we wish he could clone a few times. The results certainly don't support that view.

All 5v5.

I agree that the results don't support the common view on Rust and Rakell. I'd have still moved Rust if I could this summer, but that's due to age and looking for some big swings to strengthen a top six that is pretty good but not amazing - but for me that applies to Rakell too. Rakell's skillset and effort looked a lot better for a lot of the season, but results wise, they're pretty similar with Rakell maybe making a lot more bad decisions on defence.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Same. Haven't been in an office since March '20. Would take something monumental to get me to back to an office.

Whole company (15k+ btw, not small) is like 98-99% WFH.

I've been working from home for almost 10 years now, it's been great to see so many other people get to start doing it in the last few years.

There's so many people who have had to commute an hour or more each way every day, just to sit at a desk somewhere else. It's just so unnecessary for so many jobs. The people who do need to commute, because their work can't be don't from home, also shouldn't have to deal with all that extra traffic. It's good for everyone to at least have the option.

Reactions: molon labe

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Screenshot_20230718-105408.png
Saw this posted on reddit. MM was also the first one to say that Dubas was gonna sign. If Pens are the only team in it, Dubas must not be offering much so Grier is holding out.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
All 5v5.

I agree that the results don't support the common view on Rust and Rakell. I'd have still moved Rust if I could this summer, but that's due to age and looking for some big swings to strengthen a top six that is pretty good but not amazing - but for me that applies to Rakell too. Rakell's skillset and effort looked a lot better for a lot of the season, but results wise, they're pretty similar with Rakell maybe making a lot more bad decisions on defence.

Rakell definitely looked better than Rust last year but the on ice results have underwhelmed. He's getting some serious reputational benefit of being relatively new. Since he does not have a ridiculous NTC I would not hate to move him for the right fit.

View attachment 729673Saw this posted on reddit. MM was also the first one to say that Dubas was gonna sign. If Pens are the only team in it, Dubas must not be offering much so Grier is holding out.

Madden has Rossi on his show. Madden's source is Rossi. So.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I've been working from home for almost 10 years now, it's been great to see so many other people get to start doing it in the last few years.

There's so many people who have had to commute an hour or more each way every day, just to sit at a desk somewhere else. It's just so unnecessary for so many jobs. The people who do need to commute, because their work can't be don't from home, also shouldn't have to deal with all that extra traffic. It's good for everyone to at least have the option.

Yeah, I "lost" a round trip commute of like 1.5hrs. Saves tons of time and gas as well. I can roll out of bed and into my first meeting. I save tons on food, and probably eat better. I'm home if there's a delivery, or a contractor, or whatever. I can take a break and walk the dog.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
So, WBS signed Sparks. Sure, AHL deal. But somethings gotta give, no?

Jarry
Desmit
Ned
Hellberg
Blomqvist
Sparks
Gauthier

Is Nappier still here? Anyway, not enough room even if we go 2 in each team NHL, AHL, ECHL

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
View attachment 729673Saw this posted on reddit. MM was also the first one to say that Dubas was gonna sign. If Pens are the only team in it, Dubas must not be offering much so Grier is holding out.

Obviously that would be great news for us, if true. But EK being so picky about his destination, when he's saddled himself with that cap hit in a time where all teams are feeling the cap crunch seems absurd. There just aren't that many teams that could even take him, he should really just be happy to be leaving a trash team and joining one that could make the playoffs.

Also I'd take the way the Canes play over whatever the Penguins have been doing the last few years, that's for sure. I don't know what he sees in this team, other than 87 and 71, but I hope that's enough to bring him here.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also re the other fun stuff

- @BlindWillyMcHurt already make the point, but the difference between the ideal treat yo' self breakfast and the everyday breakfast is huge so obviously my ideal breakfast is unhealthy as hell. It's like saying my ideal dinner involves me going to a multinational variation of a Brazilian steakhouse on crack. It's true, but not very often

- If anyone wants to be really nice to me, PMing me details of what companies they work for in the Pittsburgh area that does all WFH would be great as I'm looking and looking and struggling (or further afield if true WFH)

I am a big WFH fan for sure though. Just a better life today. Also four day work weeks should become the norm at least in office jobs.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Pretty sure the deal is that the Pens have an offer SJ doesn’t love but it’s better value wise than what Carolina is willing to do, which is snag him for nothing like Burns. But as of now it requires more salary going back to SJ than they want. Right now the search is for a third team, while Carolina waits around not extremely invested but will do the deal if it falls through with Pittsburgh.

I also am willing to believe that Karlsson isn’t interested in Carolina specifically but that if they are the only other choice will take it over San Jose obviously.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
That's the same proposal we discussed yesterday minus Smith and 35% retention instead of 40%.

Not surprised you still don't think it's reasonable :laugh: especially since they aren't even getting Smith....although they are saving more money.
It’s not that I dont think it’s “reasonable”…I do for EK’s cap hit, term left and the difficulty in moving him…what I’m saying is that the Sharks don’t think it’s reasonable, mainly because of the retention…they think they should get more for that retention…that’s why a deal hasn’t been made…

All 5v5.

5v5 does count empty net goals though, right?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
One of those things that, once you're used to it, it's hard to imagine things before it.

We constantly poll employees and the results are usually anywhere between 90 and 95 percent wish to stay WFH. I've never seen a score less than the 9:1 split. Productivity hasn't dropped a smidge, retention has slightly increased (I believe it a bigger increase as the 'great reshuffle' or whatever recently happened so being positive on the scale is a bigger factor than the decimal), and general employee satisfaction scores have increased.

I think it's one of those things that's all about timing in life. If I were 20 again, I might think I like it but I'd be missing out on potential friendships and partnerships / dating. Since I'm not - and I'm married and have youth in the house - I wouldn't trade having lunch with my family for any sort of raise or new title. Ask me again in a decade and perhaps I'd like to start going in again. Forcing anything one way or the other is stupid. The answer lies in the middle is an adage that applies almost universally.

Will be a great case study in a decade or 3 - the great shift of having more fathers in the household. Prior to WFH I'd see my youngest for 1 hour before work (if I was lucky) and 1 hour after work. No company - or nation - is worth that.

Yeah I graduated in 2020 and just have never had the opportunity to work remote. I did for my first time like a month ago when I had a stomach thing and didn’t like it.

The answer does lie in the middle like you say. The things that make the office great for me are the things that make remote work bad for my friends and vice versa.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My guys come and go frequently so an office is...whatever to most of them. But if they tell me they want to work from home for a day, I usually give them "here is what you need to get done" list. Looking back, I think I tend to require more work be completed when they WFH vs the office. Best part about my building is that, when the large training area is not set up, I drag my hockey net out and can go shoot pucks whenever I want. Or surf HF when I'm in the middle of doing other stuff. Everyone in the office has their own stick now. The girls in the office now make it a big deal to go get their own and decorate them all up. Not sure either of them have shot a puck in a year or two...I'm not sure they even know how.

I've been thinking of nixing the net and getting one of those Sniper's Edge shooting tarps that are the size of a garage door. I may be able to roll that up easier than shoving the net in the corner. Does anyone have one?

It's MM and it's Rossi, so obviously a grain of salt, but I have a hard time disagreeing with what is being said there. At no point (including today) have I thought Carolina is a logical destination for EK. It makes zero sense from several viewpoints. I could write a f***ing dissertation on why it doesn't make sense but I struggle to come up with any reason it does outside of "well, EK is a good player...".

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
It’s definitely more difficult starting a new job when WFH, but I look at it as time being the most precious asset we have. WFH affords you more of it on your terms and with those close to you.

I think a cool compromise would be hybrid and 4 day work week schedule. I’m salaried so I already work longer hours. Give me 3 days off, and I’ll give it everything I got for those 4 days.

Yeah I agree on time. I think my company is a little too archaic, as in I can’t go remote for a summer Friday if I want to do a beach weekend. I think that’s too stringent.

But the nature of my job is niche so the training in person right now is worth it. Hours also get so ridiculous when we’re busy that it doesn’t really matter remote vs home. I’d like more flexibility later on but I think it’s a given to come.

Analyst position (me) is the main guy in the trenches on deals and it’s just a sacrifice now for later.

Reactions: mpp9 and ChaosAgent

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Obviously that would be great news for us, if true. But EK being so picky about his destination, when he's saddled himself with that cap hit in a time where all teams are feeling the cap crunch seems absurd. There just aren't that many teams that could even take him, he should really just be happy to be leaving a trash team and joining one that could make the playoffs.

Also I'd take the way the Canes play over whatever the Penguins have been doing the last few years, that's for sure. I don't know what he sees in this team, other than 87 and 71, but I hope that's enough to bring him here.
By all accounts, he's content in SJ, so he's fine if a trade doesn't get done.

I'd be curious to know how the Pens are viewed around the league. Was last year just an outlier and they still have Crosby, Malkin, and the great Mike Sullivan leading the way? Or is it how this board views them....a team that hasn't done shit for 5 years and is in obvious decline with their core players nearing the end? It's the latter, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone who has been playing against Crosby and Malkin for a decade don't see it. Those closest to something are usually the last to see it for what it really is.

Reactions: Beau Knows

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Onboarding people WFH is a disaster.

I like WFH and am still doing it 2-3 days/week. My wife is fully remote. But there are downsides and if/when the WFH jobs get outsourced to India people may regret calling in person work interaction worthless (call it what it is. When you say that offices are just archaic ego factories, you are saying there is no value to in-person work interaction)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
All 5v5.

I think the "Rakell is better than Rust" narrative got set early in the season when Rakell was killing it and Rust was struggling. Particularly that stretch where Sullivan went to GCRu after a 5 game point streak and they immediate lost 7 games in a row and that line was bleeding goals against. I know that had an effect on my view of things.

As things often do, things evened out over the course of the season.

It’s not that I dont think it’s “reasonable”…I do for EK’s cap hit, term left and the difficulty in moving him…what I’m saying is that the Sharks don’t think it’s reasonable, mainly because of the retention…they think they should get more for that retention…that’s why a deal hasn’t been made…
Well they need to realize that's what happens when you give out absurd contracts.

Reactions: Peat

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Onboarding people WFH is a disaster.

I like WFH and am still doing it 2-3 days/week. My wife is fully remote. But there are downsides and if/when the WFH jobs get outsourced to India people may regret calling in person work interaction worthless (call it what it is. When you say that offices are just archaic ego factories, you are saying there is no value to in-person work interaction)

Works fine for us and we have 30k plus employees we have onboarded remotely.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So, WBS signed Sparks. Sure, AHL deal. But somethings gotta give, no?

Jarry
Desmit
Ned
Hellberg
Blomqvist
Sparks
Gauthier

Is Nappier still here? Anyway, not enough room even if we go 2 in each team NHL, AHL, ECHL
It's especially odd when you presumably want Gauthier and Blomquist to get a solid amount of starts apiece. One will have to be in the ECHL. And unless something changes, a veteran goalie is going to be sitting in the press box in the AHL, which I can't imagine would be easy to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad