Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah man it's all about what works and what you can get into the habit of doing. I feel so much better even with the weight I have lost and I do hope to eventually get below 200.

I f***in miss being in my early 20s being able to eat whatever and never gain weight. Being old sucks

That's actually been my biggest problem over the years with fitness. I can lose weight super rapidly, but I live comically unhealthy lifestyles while losing that weight. Then when I'm "done", I just go back into the same old habits and gain that weight right back. It's extremely difficult to balance wanting to get immediate gratification from seeing results while also setting up a sustainable lifestyle that won't crash and burn as soon as you hit your goals. I have never been able to do that.

This is more of a philosophical thought, but the vague "end goal" of working out is something I've always struggled with. This can be extrapolated to everyday life with just being an adult as well. As kids and young adults, we always had end dates to work towards like summer break, graduation or whatever. As adults, it's kinda just "work until you either die or have enough money to not work anymore". It's the same thing with working out, what difference does it make whether you hit a completely arbitrary goal or not? If you have a goal weight loss of 50 lbs and only lose 40 lbs, who gives a crap that you didn't hit your aggressive goal?

Reactions: Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
That's actually been my biggest problem over the years with fitness. I can lose weight super rapidly, but I live comically unhealthy lifestyles while losing that weight. Then when I'm "done", I just go back into the same old habits and gain that weight right back. It's extremely difficult to balance wanting to get immediate gratification from seeing results while also setting up a sustainable lifestyle that won't crash and burn as soon as you hit your goals. I have never been able to do that.

This is more of a philosophical thought, but the vague "end goal" of working out is something I've always struggled with. This can be extrapolated to everyday life with just being an adult as well. As kids and young adults, we always had end dates to work towards like summer break, graduation or whatever. As adults, it's kinda just "work until you either die or have enough money to not work anymore". It's the same thing with working out, what difference does it make whether you hit a completely arbitrary goal or not? If you have a goal weight loss of 50 lbs and only lose 40 lbs, who gives a crap that you didn't hit your aggressive goal?
One thing to realize too is no matter how much weight you lose just sticking to an exercise plan is going to make you healthier and feel better.

I'm probably fitter now than at some points during my 20s even though I'm probably 20 pounds heavier than I was then.

And agree with your bolded point. I set out to lose more weight than I have, and I'd still like to lose more, but I'm not going to stop doing what I've been doing no matter what happens with my weight. I like feeling stronger and having some cardio and all that. And now that I've done it for several years without a major pause I feel comfortable that I can stick with it.

Also, don't be afraid to give yourself a mental health break on occasion and take a week off from lifting. Or have a fast food meal. Whatever. Just don't make a habit of it. I've on occasion taken a week off from lifting and it actually helps the body to recover and can help me reset my mental state.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I can tell that I'm beginning to move away from the sport as the years go by because guys I barely recognize and couldn't tell you one thing they do all that well are getting paid 16M dollar contracts.
Colton is the "3rd liner that got away" du jour. Be thoroughly floored by his 83pts in 190 regular season games, and his 19pts in 52 playoff games.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Colton is the "3rd liner that got away" du jour. Be thoroughly floored by his 83pts in 190 regular season games, and his 19pts in 52 playoff games.

I mean I know enough to know he scored a few huge playoff goals. But so have a lot of guys over the years that then get paid way too much only for everyone to be sitting around a couple short seasons later with years left on the deal rubbing their collective temples. There's bottom six playoff heroes every single year. They're rarely the same guy.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
How many of yinz bought iPads off of Weekes?
The photoshop was so bad it was a scam only boomers would fall for. :laugh: The generation of "don't trust anyone on the internet" that, somehow, trusts everything on the internet.

-edit- I probably shouldn't even say photoshop. :laugh:

1689636836364.png

I mean I know enough to know he scored a few huge playoff goals. But so have a lot of guys over the years that then get paid way too much only for everyone to be sitting around a couple short seasons later with years left on the deal rubbing their collective temples. There's bottom six playoff heroes every single year. They're rarely the same guy.
Shit, two goals made Max Talbot like $11+ million in contracts. :laugh:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
The ideal breakfast is three poached eggs, buttered sourdough toast and 4 strips of bacon with a dark roast coffee w/ a splash of cream.
Poached eggs are SO underrated. Super flexible. I make a hash with roasted asparagus, cauliflower, tomato, nitrate-free, uncured thick bacon, and balsamic glaze and put two poached eggs on top. It is wonderful, and I don't feel like I'm ready to stroke out afterwards.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I've hit a lot of this problem recently. My goal was 205 lbs and I hit that this year (it was losing about 30-35 lbs and I did it in a year) then went a little crazy afterwards. Doesn't help that my wife reverts to eating like garbage at the slightest stress. I don't think I've put a ton back on but I definitely feel less fit again already.

Which in a way suggests the goal. Do I feel great today? If the answer is no multiple days, you got to change things.

And the best change is finding stuff you love that's legit great for you. Cycling when you're bored, Mediterranean diet, whatever it is.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

Penguins and Sharks Closing in on Karlsson Deal (e4)​

A source tells me the next 36 hours are vital in this process…”But there is a deal to be made…”
Source: Eklund

in other words, expect the EK deal to be dead folks lol
has it been 36 hours?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
No no and no to Miller

Why? Don't like his game or something else?

I just don't see how we're supposed to look at the depth beyond Sid/Geno and feel comfortable whatsoever. But maybe the point of this excercise isn't about winning anymore so much as it is trying to get a few goals here and there and some memorable numbers for the big guys.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The photoshop was so bad it was a scam only boomers would fall for. :laugh: The generation of "don't trust anyone on the internet" that, somehow, trusts everything on the internet.
That's the problem with you millennials. You don't know a deal when you see one. I've got 4 MacBook's on the way and I even gave my SSN and mother's maiden name to be entered into winning airpods. Hopefully I'll get lucky.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's the problem with you millennials. You don't know a deal when you see one. I've got 4 MacBook's on the way and I even gave my SSN and mother's maiden name to be entered into winning airpods. Hopefully I'll get lucky.
Don't be silly. Don't waste your time on scams like that.

Instead, I plan to demand to work entirely from my home to convince management that my job can be done just as well in the office as it can be done at my house ten miles away.

How can it fail?

Until I successfully convince them and management figures out that my job can be done just as well by a girl three thousand miles away in India or Eastern Europe who is just as smart and as educated as I am for a third of the price.

Or by AI and/or robotics with zero benefits.

Ummm. Never mind.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Until I successfully convince them and management figures out that my job can be done just as well by a girl three thousand miles away in India or Eastern Europe who is just as smart and as educated as I am for a third of the price.
This is why the Bible says not to teach girls computers. Reply amen within 5 minutes to receive a blessing. Sorry, thought this was my facebook.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Yeah f*** people who put restrictions on when things can be eaten. I'll eat french toast for dinner and grilled chicken & rice for breakfast.

TRY ME
:thumbu: I've had leftovers too many times too count. Ham and cabbage, fried chicken with broasted potatoes, you name it....(for breakfast)

Last edited:
Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad