Salary Cap: Pens Salary and Signing thread: Dr StrangeDubas or How We Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Karlsson Watch

Do you want EK here?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Different strokes for different folks. As far as you know it's working great.

Onboarding and orientation roll into HR. I’ve computed the data and our retention over the past few years has gone up 85% since implementing programs due to COVID.

Also, typically Manager and Director levels aren’t outsourced to India.

I would say at least 50% of the positions I apply for moving forward in my career will
be WFH and it was one of the reasons I searched out a career in HR.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Onboarding and orientation roll into HR. I’ve computed the data and our retention over the past few years has gone up 85% since implementing programs due to COVID.

Also, typically Manager and Director levels aren’t outsourced to India.

I would say at least 50% of the positions I apply for moving forward in my career will
be WFH and it was one of the reasons I searched out a career in HR.

Well yes, you won't get outsourced to India. The entry level people fresh out of college are going to find themselves overtaken by outsourcing or AI.

Many a 23 year old has sat adrift and aimless at home since the start of WFH.

Different strokes for different folks. Good on you for onboarding well. Most places don't.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Re: WFH

My company did not handle it well.

They called an in person townhall when the pandemic was still raging to tell us that the new policy was fully remote. Why they had to have an in person meeting to tell us, I don't know, but people were stoked. Then about 6 months later, pandemic still raging, they took that away and required 2 days in the office, you had to wear a mask all day, special sign in, etc. and only gave us 2 weeks notice of when the new policy would start. So not only did they take WFH away from people, but the virus was still a big enough concern for everybody that you had to wear a mask all day :huh: and those that completely rearranged their lives with kids and whatnot had 2 weeks to rearrange it again.

Now that the pandemic is over, I think 2 days in, 3 days at home is a pretty good balance, but how they got there was puzzling each step of the way.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well yes, you won't get outsourced to India. The entry level people fresh out of college are going to find themselves overtaken by outsourcing or AI.

Many a 23 year old has sat adrift and aimless at home since the start of WFH.

Different strokes for different folks. Good on you for onboarding well. Most places don't.

We’ve hired a ton of 20ish year olds since 2020.

Certain industries are not hiring those individuals. Honestly, if people want to live in a capitalist society they need to find jobs people actually want to pay for.

I’m sure before I die my current role will be obsolete. Gotta adapt.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
We’ve hired a ton of 20ish year olds since 2020.

Certain industries are not hiring those individuals. Honestly, if people want to live in a capitalist society they need to find jobs people actually want to pay for.

I’m sure before I die my current role will be obsolete. Gotta adapt.

I think ultimately less work is needed. There is this school of thought that once AI replaces 10 jobs we'll need like 10 more AI programmers. Which is fantasyland thinking.

Our plan is just to have a big enough nest egg to live off of even when we are made obsolete. Only like 5-6 years away from that.

Reactions: Gurglesons

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think ultimately less work is needed. There is this school of thought that once AI replaces 10 jobs we'll need like 10 more AI programmers. Which is fantasyland thinking.

Our plan is just to have a big enough nest egg to live off of even when we are made obsolete. Only like 5-6 years away from that.
Don't worry. Our political leaders are very smart, capable, forward thinking, empathetic people. They will have a plan in place to help everybody by then.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

Jobs suck. Let me live in the same boring grey house as everyone else and get the same food as everyone else and do a job for 6 hours a day for the community and I’m good.

But alas .

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Unsure if this is totally snark and I'm not picking up on the sarcasm, but speaking through the HR lens that isn't entirely the reason. The downside with WFH is the social component/camaraderie that cannot be replicated WFH. I also can't mention how much company knowledge I've picked up just by osmosis or overhearing a conversation about some tribal knowledge.

Furthermore, we talk about the mental health crisis in the US and I believe the WFH isolation is a major component of that.

Don't get me wrong, I think WFH is great in some respects. It allows flexibility and that is something that employers should have been giving on long ago, but I feel like it's rubber banded to the other extreme where people are fully WFH. Let's have a middle ground (just like politics)

Yeah I’m just being snarky there :laugh:

I think my current schedule of “2 days in, 3 days WFH” is a good middle ground. I’d hate full time WFH because I’d go stir crazy at home but I’d hate full time in person because I don’t need to be in the office 40 hours a week to do my job.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Don't worry. Our political leaders are very smart, capable, forward thinking, empathetic people. They will have a plan in place to help everybody by then.

It'll either be a grift for everyone to get useless and costly 4 year degrees or more runaway wealth inequality where you program computers or work at Panera with no in between. Or probably both :)

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It'll either be a grift for everyone to get useless and costly 4 year degrees or more runaway wealth inequality where you program computers or work at Panera with no in between. Or probably both :)
I'm between like 3 or 4 different jokes, but don't want to hear it from those with different political views (or worse the mods :eek3:), so I'm just going to shut up now :laugh:

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I work in Engineering in Toronto and it feels like the move to WFH has been very slow. Some bigger companies might offer it but good luck if you work at a smaller place. During the summer I'd be okay with hybrid but during the winters WFH is a must imo. Not having to deal with the commute during Canadian winters would be great

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah I’m just being snarky there :laugh:

I think my current schedule of “2 days in, 3 days WFH” is a good middle ground. I’d hate full time WFH because I’d go stir crazy at home but I’d hate full time in person because I don’t need to be in the office 40 hours a week to do my job.
You have an advantage. You began in an environment in an office or similar so you learned in an office environment a lot of the areas, business and social interpersonal skills, that kids just starting out and working remotely are struggling with.

The isolation also has had an enormous psychological impact. Especially for those who began their formative school and career years during Covid.

• Seventy-three percent of Gen Z report they feel alone either sometimes or always.
  • Seventy-two percent of Gen Z workers say they want to communicate with managers in person, while most managers think they prefer instant message.
  • Reversing the loneliness trend in Gen Z requires addressing contributors such as the overstimulation that leaves less time to connect.
The mental health challenges experienced by Gen Z are like nothing any other generation has faced. Only 45 percent of Gen Z report “excellent” or “very good” mental health, which is the lowest of any generation. Ninety-one percent of Gen Z adults say they have experienced at least one physical or emotional symptom because of stress, such as feeling depressed or sad (58 percent), or lacking interest, motivation, or energy (55 percent). And 68 percent of Gen Z report feeling significant stress about the future.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So anyway Erik Karlsson
Unicorn+Realistic+On+Canvas+by+Madkruben+Photograph.jpg

I have heard mention of him but am convinced that the mythical creature does not exist.

Reactions: ColePens

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You have an advantage. You began in an environment in an office or similar so you learned in an office environment a lot of the areas, business and social interpersonal skills, that kids just starting out and working remotely are struggling with.

The isolation also has had an enormous psychological impact. Especially for those who began their formative school and career years during Covid.

Welp.

CFCDA869-4E15-46EF-AABE-527C131083A5.jpeg

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Wonder if you could deal Petry to Nashville and flip Barrie to SJ as part of the package. Barrie is 4.5 instead of 6.2. Might have to lightly sweeten it for Nashville, but they don’t need Barrie with Josi there. Both Barrie and Granlund would only have to play there a year and they’d be deadline deals next year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Wonder if you could deal Petry to Nashville and flip Barrie to SJ as part of the package. Barrie is 4.5 instead of 6.2. Might have to lightly sweeten it for Nashville, but they don’t need Barrie with Josi there. Both Barrie and Granlund would only have to play there a year and they’d be deadline deals next year.

Nashville said no when I advocated for this.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anyway back to the Karlsson talk, I don’t necessarily 100% believe Rossi but it’s also worth considering:

1. Rossi has generally been spot on with this Karlsson reporting
2. There have been other reports that suggest the Canes aren’t all that interested in Karlsson unless it’s a discount

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was just Pittsburgh in on Karlsson and Karlsson did just want to go to Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad