Post-Game Talk: Pens/Sabres: MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
I love the notion the best player in the world should play defense so we can watch our defensemen score. For their careers... Dumo scores once every 31 games. Letang once every 6. Schultz once every 10 games. Petts once every 34 games. JJ once every 12 games.

Winning hockey baby!!! The Sully way.

Reactions: Coastal Kev

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I love the notion the best player in the world should play defense so we can watch our defensemen score. For their careers... Dumo scores once every 31 games. Letang once every 6. Schultz once every 10 games. Petts once every 34 games. JJ once every 12 games.

Every winning team's way. You need forwards to play d. Seriously every play would be 3 on 2 otherwise. I really hate the idea that you don't understand this. Its way sadder than if you're a troll.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Every winning team's way. You need forwards to play d. Seriously every play would be 3 on 2 otherwise. I really hate the idea that you don't understand this. Its way sadder than if you're a troll.

So if the D is being aggressive and pinching and the forward is suppose to cover for him. Isn't that leaving 3 on 2's with one defensemen and a forward? That seems really smart and better than two defensemen and a back checking forward.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So if the D is being aggressive and pinching and the forward is suppose to cover for him. Isn't that leaving 3 on 2's with one defensemen and a forward? That seems really smart and better than two defensemen and a back checking forward.
I wish defensemen were called point guards like basketball or something. It would make it easier to understand for people who have no clue how the game works. They aren't separate units like football. They are all part of the 5 man unit. It is all of their job to play both offense and defense.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I wish defensemen were called point guards like basketball or something. It would make it easier to understand for people who have no clue how the game works. They aren't separate units like football. They are all part of the 5 man unit. It is all of their job to play both offense and defense.

Well it is March madness in Georgetown.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Letang was responsible for not guarding that point against tho’

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What the f*** are you talking about? You picked the sample size from the worst slump in the season. If you’re just trying to get people upset, please stop.

It's not like it was cherry-picked. It's their only sample size together this season.

Presumably heat maps can be used to highlight areas of concern, not just blow smoke.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's not like it was cherry-picked. It's their only sample size together this season.

Presumably heat maps can be used to highlight areas of concern, not just blow smoke.

Presumably the creator of heat maps says a one year sample is not enough to correctly analyze his data.

But I’m sure the 90 minutes or Sid and Sheary prove Kahun is a legend.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018

You have to stop drinking the Sully juice. Just because you have two d-men back not pinching doesn't = 3 vs. 2. Our forwards are far superior to most teams defense. Their forwards collapse to help them out. All 3 forwards just going to hang out at the blue line and watch their defense? At most it will be a 2 on 2 with a high forward backchecking.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

You said you played D1 hockey right? I don't understand where you're coming from unless you played in the 70's or early 80's.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You have to stop drinking the Sully juice. Just because you have two d-men back not pinching doesn't = 3 vs. 2. Our forwards are far superior to most teams defense. Their forwards collapse to help them out. All 3 forwards just going to hang out at the blue line and watch their defense? At most it will be a 2 on 2 with a high forward backchecking.

Yeah, St Louis, Washington, and LA and CHI have shown this is the way to win. The lack of pinching defensemen like Carlson, Orlov, Piets, Doughty, Keith, etc are keys to their success.

Reactions: canadianguy77

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
You said you played D1 hockey right? I don't understand where you're coming from unless you played in the 70's or early 80's.

Correct. Sorry, I don't like a system that relies on defense constantly pinching to keep pucks in and forwards covering. I'm not saying a defensemen can never pinch. I like it to be more situational then do it every time.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Yeah, St Louis, Washington, and LA and CHI have shown this is the way to win. The lack of pinching defensemen like Carlson, Orlov, Piets, Doughty, Keith, etc are keys to their success.
This shit he's saying is bonkers.

These "strategies" aren't new. They've been around for a long time.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Correct. Sorry, I don't like a system that relies on defense constantly pinching to keep pucks in and forwards covering. I'm not saying a defensemen can never pinch. I like it to be more situational then do it every time.
Well, maybe you have a problem with "who" is pinching.

Watch the kid (Marino) closely. He almost never gets it wrong.

Because it's being coached.

Coaches in college didn't just come up with that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Every single coach worth their weight tells their defensemen to pinch to keep pucks in and the closest person to that players position rotates back. If you had a coach that told you not to pinch to keep the puck in, he had no faith in your ability to keep it in.

So if a defenseman can pinch in to keep a puck in, if you were the coach you'd tell your defensemen not to do that? I just need the clarification.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Presumably the creator of heat maps says a one year sample is not enough to correctly analyze his data.

But I’m sure the 90 minutes or Sid and Sheary prove Kahun is a legend.

I don't think anybody said it was definitive, only that the early returns weren't good.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
People don't get that the modern day NHL is about timing. Mario and Wayne had it before coaches ever did.

The differences physically are getting to be minute. There's so much money involved now that a freak like a modern-day-Lindros would have 3 or 4 players in his draft that aren't that far off.

But coaches are starting to get it now. And they're teaching it.

And the best and smartest athletes are "getting" it. Marino is one of those guys.

Reactions: Peat and Hungamania

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
You can go back to how someone like Pronger looked in Hartford in his first 2 years and see the same stuff.

Not saying they're the same sorts of players, but you can see the talent if you look.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Well, maybe you have a problem with "who" is pinching.

Watch the kid (Marino) closely. He almost never gets it wrong.

Because it's being coached.

Coaches in college didn't just come up with that.

Yes, IQ is a huge problem.

So if a defenseman can pinch in to keep a puck in, if you were the coach you'd tell your defensemen not to do that? I just need the clarification.

If he has a high chance of keeping it in, of course. I'm not going to have my offensive pressure rely on it and say do it every time even if you have no chance of keeping possession. Hockey is all about risk % in my opinion. You can perfectly pinch all game and it generates no quality chances. One bad pinch could be a breakaway the other way and very high % of scoring and could be the difference in a tight scoring game especially in playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad