Post-Game Talk: Pens/Sabres: MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Rodrigues’ analytics are sparkling for his usage so far here.

Stats aside...

why are you pushing so hard for this guy to be mega successful here? Do you want him to push someone else out of the lineup? To justify the trade? Your best friend growing up had the same last name as him?

It is odd...you latched onto his hip from the start.....why?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Stats aside...

why are you pushing so hard for this guy to be mega successful here? Do you want him to push someone else out of the lineup? To justify the trade? Your best friend growing up had the same last name as him?

It is odd...you latched onto his hip from the start.....why?

Big fan of his and he seems like exactly the type of player that brings what ZAR does with offensive upside which is why I find it crazy more people aren’t in love with him.

Him and Larsson have always stood out to me as bottom six players on the swords I wanted.

Reactions: Hungamania

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
So we want him to push ZAR away? I'm okay with that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yes, IQ is a huge problem.

If he has a high chance of keeping it in, of course. I'm not going to have my offensive pressure rely on it and say do it every time even if you have no chance of keeping possession. Hockey is all about risk % in my opinion. You can perfectly pinch all game and it generates no quality chances. One bad pinch could be a breakaway the other way and very high % of scoring and could be the difference in a tight scoring game especially in playoffs.

If there is a 50/50 puck, do you go for the pinch or peel back?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Madden is alright, knows the game, but says dome dumb shit I roll my eyes at.

In late January or early Feb of 2017, he was hardcore arguing with a caller that Guentzel wasn't NHL ready and needed to stay down in the A.... Kunitz was blah blah and a better choice, robble robble robble.

It was one of the few times he said something so stupid I got mad and changed the channel because it was such nonsense.
Madden is an old boys club type of tosser. I don't like blow hard media types like that.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
So we want him to push ZAR away? I'm okay with that.

I'm not sure whether or not we should be patient with ZAR going into next year but look at Derek Grant now compared to when he was here. It's the reason to let things play out, not giving up on players just because it's not working at the moment. There is always development and progression with new personnel (referring in a way to ERod).

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Rodrigues may just need some time to get comfortable, but how he has been since he has come here is wildly bland. He brings speed, but so does Lafferty, and I think Lafferty has more potential to score.

I cannot wait to see Lafferty next year and what he does this offseason to prepare. I think the guy has some legit potential to be a 2nd/3rd line material.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Depends on score of game imo. Tie game or winning, I'm peeling back. Down 1 in the 3rd then can go for 50/50 pucks.

It's also depends where your other guys are. If there is a 50/50 puck and I have back pressure, you step up 10/10 times as a defenseman. Stepping up isn't necessarily based on score of the game. The 5 guys work as a unit, and best believe as a winger, I dig when my defensemen get engaged in the play to keep pucks in so my ass doesn't have to keep skating back because they don't have the confidence to go for a 50/50 puck battle.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Lafferty's best spot to succeed and have a positive impact is probably on the 3rd line, but he's simply not good enough to bump anyone off and I think he's probably wasted on the 4th line.

Tough situation for the kid. He's a more long-term guy than some others, imo, but finding the right spot for him is going to be the tough part.

I don't think he's a good fit for an all-out defensive 4th line, but again, don't see where he fits in the top-9 either.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
It's also depends where your other guys are. If there is a 50/50 puck and I have back pressure, you step up 10/10 times as a defenseman. Stepping up isn't necessarily based on score of the game. The 5 guys work as a unit, and best believe as a winger, I dig when my defensemen get engaged in the play to keep pucks in so my ass doesn't have to keep skating back because they don't have the confidence to go for a 50/50 puck battle.

Good point, forwards position too. Are we really dominating that much more possession? Another thing is so a d-man pinches and keeps the puck in the offensive zone. The other team still has 5 skaters in the defensive zone. You create turnovers in the neutral zone or defensive zone. You are more likely to get odd man rushes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think Rodrigues is anything particularly great, but I'm happy with having him because:

1. He is a RHS that can play center
2. He's fast and responsible defensively

He's pretty well suited for a 4th line role here. If you can get him to take a paycut, I'd be happy to keep him around for next year. Maybe your 4th line could be Tanev-Rodrigues-Lafferty or something like that.

Reactions: JTG

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Rodrigues is nothing special, but he is a great depth guy. I love his speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad