Proposal: Pens - Oilers Trade

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Well, that's what they're there for, to be traded. Real question for me is whether Yakopov fits the third line, because there wouldn't be any place on the first, second, or fourth. :D

For ****s sake, come on man! You know Bylsma would have Yakupov as the backup goalie!

:sarcasm:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
WHy would we do that? We know if we had traded for Hall and st Louis neither of them would break up that top line... and malkin already has Bennet, Jokienen and Neal to pick from... we wouldn't dream of playing defensively irresponsible players on the 3rd or 4th line, regardless of offensive talent... Its just not a good fit for us to go for wingers with skill until either Kunitz or Duper is out of the picture

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'd be fine with moving Olli for Yak. We have too many D prospects as it is.

Olli + Dupuis + 1st

What has Yak done to deserve all of that? Because of draft position? I would bet dimes to dollars that if there were a redraft both Maatta and Dupuis would have gone higher than they did. And not by an insignificant amount.

And Yak has not shown anything that says that he is the next Crosby or Malkin.

In a similar logic, do people assume that Puliot is ten times the prospect Maatta is because he went 8th overall?

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
I'd agree to Yakupov for Engo + 4th... but only if Edmonton retained some of his salary.

(Am I doing it right?)

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
What has Yak done to deserve all of that? Because of draft position? I would bet dimes to dollars that if there were a redraft both Maatta and Dupuis would have gone higher than they did. And not by an insignificant amount.

In a similar logic, do people assume that Puliot is ten times the prospect Maatta is because he went 8th overall?

Respectfully, I would bet that you would be very wrong.

Not every first overall is going to be Crosby or Malkin. Yakupov certainly isn't going to be either of them because he's a completely different style of player.

Yakupov is much closer to the Stamkos' and Ovechkins of the world. Sure he's not going to be a Crosby, but elite goal scorers are still valuable too. This kid has a lot of talent.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yakupov is closer to Ovechkin at the same age only in the sense that he's smaller, slower, less explosive, a worse stickhandler, not physical, and half as strong with a far less dangerous wrist shot.

In other words, he's not anywhere near belonging in the company you just put him.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Yakupov is closer to Ovechkin at the same age only in the sense that he's smaller, slower, less explosive, a worse stickhandler, not physical, and half as strong with a far less dangerous wrist shot.

In other words, he's not anywhere near belonging in the company you just put him.

2nded. There is just a wonderful magic that happens when OV is all hopped up on HGH that cannot be matched.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Stylistically, he is a pure goal scorer. That would make him more similar to Stamkos and Ovechkin than Crosby and Malkin.

I see nothing wrong with what I said. Not once did I say he was as good as Ovi in his prime.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
"Pierre Marc Bouchard is much closer to guys like Gretzky and Yzerman" is roughly what you just pulled here. Yakupov is such a lower class of player that the comparison is meaningless.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Respectfully, I would bet that you would be very wrong.

Not every first overall is going to be Crosby or Malkin. Yakupov certainly isn't going to be either of them because he's a completely different style of player.

Yakupov is much closer to the Stamkos' and Ovechkins of the world. Sure he's not going to be a Crosby, but elite goal scorers are still valuable too. This kid has a lot of talent.

Heh.

I meant Despres. Still recovering from that flight.

And you seriously do not think that Maatta would not be drafted higher than 22nd and Simon Despres would not be picked higher than 30 in a redraft?

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Yakupov shouldn't be in the same discussion with any top player, but rather talented prospect-aged kids who have high upside and haven't proven much yet. I was not impress at all with the kid the other night, the plays I watched him. His skating was not great and he looked disinterested. He does float a fair amount. At this point Galchenyuk looks like the much better up and coming player from the top picks of 2012, and given that they played together (if I remember right) it might be the case that Yakupov benefitted from Galy more than the other way around.

I could see the Oilers ruining this kid the way the Jackets did Filatov. They don't seem to have much of a system or plan in place for developing these kids. Looks more like they were hoping they could overwhelm teams with their young speed and skill, but IMO that's never going to happen until they put a balanced team on the ice. If they think they're going to create Oiler Offensive Glory Days Part II, they're in for a rude awakening.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
A lot of teams are going to regret passing up on Maatta

Flyers fans were up in arms collectively when the Flyers passed him when he was sitting there. I was reading their board at the time.

They screamed bloody murder even more when we took him.

I would imagine they are even more bitter with how things turned out, even though Scott Laughton, the player they took, is not seeming quite the reach he seemed at the time, he still looks like at best a third line player.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Heh.

I meant Despres. Still recovering from that flight.

And you seriously do not think that Maatta would not be drafted higher than 22nd and Simon Despres would not be picked higher than 30 in a redraft?

Why does it, er, Maatta? I mean matter. :)

I never really understood the concept of a re-draft. A draft is blind science. A re-draft is hindsight at its finest. Where's the fun in that?

These guys get paid a lot of money to figure out which of these players are going to make it BEFORE they actually do. They don't have the luxury of a re-draft. So what's the point.

Yes, if we had a re-draft, Martin St. Louis would be selected by SOMEBODY instead of being passed over entirely. Congratulations.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why does it, er, Maatta? I mean matter. :)

I never really understood the concept of a re-draft. A draft is blind science. A re-draft is hindsight at its finest. Where's the fun in that?

These guys get paid a lot of money to figure out which of these players are going to make it BEFORE they actually do. They don't have the luxury of a re-draft. So what's the point.

Yes, if we had a re-draft, Martin St. Louis would be selected by SOMEBODY instead of being passed over entirely. Congratulations.

I was addressing the notion that we trade Maatta, Despres (you said Dupuis but initially I was thinking Despres in my up at 4:30 am and across the country flight addled brain, but the point remains) and a first for Yak.

I was wondering what Yak has done to deserve that much. Straight up for Maatta at this point seems fair enough, although I doubt the Oilers do that. But right now Maatta seems the better prospect given what they actually look like and moving aside draft position.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I was addressing the notion that we trade Maatta, Despres (you said Dupuis but initially I was thinking Despres in my up at 4:30 am and across the country flight addled brain, but the point remains) and a first for Yak.

I was wondering what Yak has done to deserve that much. Straight up for Maatta at this point seems fair enough, although I doubt the Oilers do that. But right now Maatta seems the better prospect given what they actually look like and moving aside draft position.

Fair enough. However, you're not taking into account what a player means to THAT franchise, not just how he has looked on the ice and what he's done at the NHL level.

Draft position matters because of what that asset means to the franchise. If the Oilers start feeling that he's starting to lose some of his value as a former No. 1, they might be inclined to move him. And if there is a team that could probably afford to move out a former No. 1, it's likely a team that drafted first overall three years in a row. That said, he is still just one year removed from being the top pick overall. His skills and talent are obvious. He's in a bad situation in Edmonton, though, because by now everybody thought Hemsky would be gone. Instead, not only is Hemsky still there, but now Perron is there too. And Smyth is resurrecting from the dead. They have more top-six wingers than they need. It's not working.

And for the record, I believe Maatta, Despres and Dupuis is too much to give for Yakupov at this time. One D-man, Dupuis and something else sounds like fair market value. Maybe Engelland.

And I'm going by regular circumstances, not our current team (who would never in a million years touch a player as skilled but with as many warts in his game as Yak). He could never fit in with Bylsma. Heck, look at Malkin for proof.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Yak was on a 29 goal/53 point pace last year as a rookie on a bad team. Those are better numbers than Stammer's rookie year. And Olli's played 6 games vs the dregs of the league. Let's not act like Olli's more proven than Yak.

There's no doubt that Olli would go much higher than he did, higher than DP, but Yak would still go a head of him. Adding a late 1st to move up to a top pick isn't exactly unheard of. Dupuis is there for the cap and because he's expendable and misused by DB.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yak was on a 29 goal pace last year as a rookie on a bad team.

There's no doubt that Olli would go much higher than he did, higher than DP, but Yak would still go a head of him. Adding a late 1st to move up to a top pick isn't exactly unheard of. Dupuis is there for the cap and because he's expendable and misused by DB.

As I stated I heard Despres instead of Dupuis because of lack of sleep, among other reasons.

As for why people here would want to move Despres, I would guess that their reasoning would actually be that it was the only way to get him off of Crosby's line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad