Proposal: Pens - Oilers Trade

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
With Yakupov sitting for the Oilers, and the Pens having some foward injury issues, i think the Oilers could budge if we would trade one of our young "D" prospects with a 2nd rounder for Yakupov... Mind you for Yak did do fairly well scoring last year...

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Yes...trade a 1st overall pick with unreal talent for a "D" prospect and a 2nd that I'm pretty sure we do not have....never gonna happen, unless of course you're willing to give up Pouliot...and they'll probably ask for a forward in return

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think there could be something plausible here, but our entire team philosophy would have to alter in order for Shero and co. to want something like this.

Yakupov doesn't know how to 'grind dem *****es down', so it's a problem.

This organization values Tanner Glass more than Nail Yakupov.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
A d-prospect (even if it's Maatta) and a late 2nd rounder doesn't even get close what the Oilers would want for Yakupov. Besides, we don't need him on Sutter's wng.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
“I’m going to play my game,†he said. “I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.â€

Being anti-skating and anti-forechecking is a little worrisome. That's a pretty integral part of NHL hockey.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
“I’m going to play my game,†he said. “I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.â€

Being anti-skating and anti-forechecking is a little worrisome. That's a pretty integral part of NHL hockey.

He really said that? :laugh:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Zero chance he gets traded here. The Oilers are going to want more than Shero will ever be willing to give up for him.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yes...trade a 1st overall pick with unreal talent for a "D" prospect and a 2nd that I'm pretty sure we do not have....never gonna happen, unless of course you're willing to give up Pouliot...and they'll probably ask for a forward in return

I doubt that. They need defense.

I would do Orpik + D prospect of their choice + a pick in a hypothetical situation where this could actually happen and he wouldn't be played as a LW or in the bottom six.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think he got kind of screwed by being ESL, there; and bad journalism. Not to mention that's what it looked like their team style was last night.

That being said, I'm not sure where he would go. Malkin already has Neal who doesn't work well with Crosby, and if he's anything like that quote or what Edmonton seems to do then he probably wouldn't work with Crosby. Bylsma aside. Third line is a waste and he'd probably struggle with the defensive responsibility.

He's probably still pretty malleable, though, Edmonton just isn't a good team to really make him a better player. I guess if we somehow got a space for him and fixed Bylsma then we might be able to develop him for Crosby. I don't like his salary.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think he got kind of screwed by being ESL, there; and bad journalism. Not to mention that's what it looked like their team style was last night.

That being said, I'm not sure where he would go. Malkin already has Neal who doesn't work well with Crosby, and if he's anything like that quote or what Edmonton seems to do then he probably wouldn't work with Crosby. Bylsma aside. Third line is a waste and he'd probably struggle with the defensive responsibility.

He's probably still pretty malleable, though, Edmonton just isn't a good team to really make him a better player. I guess if we somehow got a space for him and fixed Bylsma then we might be able to develop him for Crosby. I don't like his salary.

In theory, spending time on Crosby's right wing should do wonders for a guy like Yakupov. But the theory holds no water, as we know.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
In theory, spending time on Crosby's right wing should do wonders for a guy like Yakupov. But the theory holds no water, as we know.

Anyone spending time on Crosby's wing would to wonders for them...look at Dupuis

But yeah, if its possible to get this guy AND put him on Sid's wing, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but let's be realistic, he's not being traded for what we have to offer.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly, I'd love it if the Penguins shocked everyone and took a "chance" on Yak. The Oilers are a miserable team and don't seem particularly great at bringing their young players along. Some of that is by necessity... they need these guys now, after all and can't really afford to let them marinate for a while. Yak has sublime offensive ability and I really don't put too much stock into those quotes. He is basically saying that he prefers to play the game in the offensive end. Whoopie. So does every forward.

All that said... it's more likely that the team begins the process of transitioning Crosby over to goaltender (bloodlines!) than it is that they trade even their lowliest prospect for Yak. For good or ill... he just doesn't fit their profile.

Not only that but I don't really know if Yak is truly on the block, there. And I'm even less convinced that the Penguins would actually have the assets to get it done if he is.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Shero has gone 'all in' for a wing in the past. Hossa comes to mind. But it is a specific type of wing. Again Hossa comes to mind. Yak is not that type of wing, so you can forget about it.

And in all honesty I actually agree. Scoring is not this teams problem. We already outscore everyone and it is not even close. Adding a guy who supposedly can score and do little else would not add much to this team. Certainly not add much toward fixing why this team exits the playoffs early year after year.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Guys, guys .. I've got this :laugh:
Based on trade rumors, Yakupov and Simmonds are being shopped.

CapGeek has Yakupov's caphit at $3,775,000 when you go use the roster generator, so ... Yakupov for Duper + Nisky. Oil gets a solid 2-way guy in Duper who can PK and play all positions if need be (with Cup experience!) and a young D in Nisky. Works out that they'd be taking on most of Nisky's salary, which they have space for. For us, it finally breaks up KCD and potentially gives Sid a winger. If Yak doesn't work with Sid, he can be swapped with BB on Geno's line.

Simmonds for Orpik & Jeffrey. Yeah, it's a deal with Philly, but one I think would be tilted in our favor. Hate to give up Jeffrey, though.

And look at all the cap space we'd have! :laugh:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Chuck Kobasew ($0.550m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.538m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,155,001; BONUSES: $2,850,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,994,999

Yeah ... never gonna happen :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Posting from 20,000 feet or so btw. First time I tried this. Am over Arizona somewhere. God are we spoiled and geeky. Can not even keep away from our computers on a plane flight.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Guys, guys .. I've got this :laugh:
Based on trade rumors, Yakupov and Simmonds are being shopped.

CapGeek has Yakupov's caphit at $3,775,000 when you go use the roster generator, so ... Yakupov for Duper + Nisky. Oil gets a solid 2-way guy in Duper who can PK and play all positions if need be (with Cup experience!) and a young D in Nisky. Works out that they'd be taking on most of Nisky's salary, which they have space for. For us, it finally breaks up KCD and potentially gives Sid a winger. If Yak doesn't work with Sid, he can be swapped with BB on Geno's line.

Simmonds for Orpik & Jeffrey. Yeah, it's a deal with Philly, but one I think would be tilted in our favor. Hate to give up Jeffrey, though.

And look at all the cap space we'd have! :laugh:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Chris Kunitz ($3.725m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Evgeni Malkin ($8.700m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Jussi Jokinen ($2.100m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.067m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Tanner Glass ($1.100m) / Joe Vitale ($0.550m) / Chuck Kobasew ($0.550m)
Craig Adams ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Kris Letang ($3.500m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Simon Despres ($0.840m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) / Olli Maatta ($0.894m)
Deryk Engelland ($0.567m) /

GOALTENDERS
Marc-Andre Fleury ($5.000m)
Jeff Zatkoff ($0.538m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,155,001; BONUSES: $2,850,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,994,999

Yeah ... never gonna happen :laugh:

That...is actually a pretty tantalizing idea, although I guess it remains to be seen whether Yak will actually live up to his hype. And I don't think Yakupov is going to be moved for Dupuis+Niskanen - Edmonton already has a lot of good forwards, it's their defense that needs to be primarily addressed.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Lines would and should be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Simmonds
Yakopov-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Jokinen

To be honest anything of this caliber would be something like:

Fleury + Harrington/Pouliot + Engo

For

Yakupov + Dubs + 2nd

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Shero has gone 'all in' for a wing in the past. Hossa comes to mind. But it is a specific type of wing. Again Hossa comes to mind. Yak is not that type of wing, so you can forget about it.

And in all honesty I actually agree. Scoring is not this teams problem. We already outscore everyone and it is not even close. Adding a guy who supposedly can score and do little else would not add much to this team. Certainly not add much toward fixing why this team exits the playoffs early year after year.

Yeah, we outscore everyone in the regular season. Playoffs, another story. A guy like Yak would help tremendously with that, provided he can cope with the hard hitting style in the playoffs.

That's a question mark, but to say he wouldn't help us at all is a bit too much.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Wayne Simmonds...on Sidney Crosby's wing with Chris Kunitz...gaddamn what a nice picture

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad