Proposal: Pens - Oilers Trade

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
As I stated I heard Despres instead of Dupuis because of lack of sleep, among other reasons.

As for why people here would want to move Despres, I would guess that their reasoning would actually be that it was the only way to get him off of Crosby's line.

I assume the bolded should be Dupuis.

I want to move Duper because of his age, contract and how he's used. If he was making 3M for 3 years and we had a coach who would put him on the 3rd line he's be one of my favorite players.

IMO, Olli + Duper + 1st is a pretty good deal for Yak for both sides. I'd rather move DP instead of Olli, but I doubt the Oil would do it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Yak was on a 29 goal pace last year as a rookie on a bad team.

There's no doubt that Olli would go much higher than he did, higher than DP, but Yak would still go a head of him. Adding a late 1st to move up to a top pick isn't exactly unheard of. Dupuis is there for the cap and because he's expendable and misused by DB.

Unfortunately, today's NHL disses goal-scoring acumen. I miss the days when the NUMBER ONE thing scouts looked for was a player's hands and ability to score goals. Sure, Yakupov went first overall. But I don't think he would have if he wasn't an OHL player. The Toronto media plays a huge role in prospect hype. If Yak were playing in the KHL, I'm convinced he wouldn't have gone first overall.

I hate the fact it seems coaches wish to turn EVERY NHLer into a two-way player. The guy who can pot 60 should get a pass, like the olden days.

Crosby's two wingers work their butts off every shift. That's fantastic. But sometimes they look completely gassed when it's time to **** and load the shot to snipe a goal from another great Crosby pass. Maybe that's why they both swing and miss so much.

An ideal scenario would be having only one of Crosby's two wingers, and having a natural finisher like Yak...who would learn a LOT about work ethic just by being around guys like Crosby and whoever the other winger is (Kunitz or Dupuis, it matters little).

Now THAT to me is what I would consider the best line in hockey, if the chemistry is right. And THAT would be a harder line to shut down. What a concept, right? A top line with more than one finisher.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
As I stated I heard Despres instead of Dupuis because of lack of sleep, among other reasons.

As for why people here would want to move Despres, I would guess that their reasoning would actually be that it was the only way to get him off of Crosby's line.

I think you mean, Dupuis. Sleep getting messed with sucks.

The age, the length of the contract and Bylsma are all problems. 3 years, used on the third line and I'd be fine with it.

The more I think about it the less I want Yakupov. Bylsma would be a brat over it, he might not work with Crosby if he gets the chance and then he can't go with Malkin (he already has Neal), but he's not a third liner on this team. Then it's taking a chance on being able to make him a more complete player and the longer he's with Edmonton the less I want him. I also don't like his salary.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I think you mean, Dupuis. Sleep getting messed with sucks.

The age, the length of the contract and Bylsma are all problems. 3 years, used on the third line and I'd be fine with it.

The more I think about it the less I want Yakupov. Bylsma would be a brat over it, he might not work with Crosby if he gets the chance and then he can't go with Malkin (he already has Neal), but he's not a third liner on this team. Then it's taking a chance on being able to make him a more complete player and the longer he's with Edmonton the less I want him. I also don't like his salary.

Well in this fantasy world where Shero trades Dupuis+ for Yak, he also fires DB!

Just think if we could roll out this lineup:

Kunitz - Crosby - Yak
JJ/BB - Malkin - Neal
JJ/BB - Sutter - Kobe
Adams - Vitale - Jeffery

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Well in this fantasy world where Shero trades Dupuis+ for Yak, he also fires DB!

Just think if we could roll out this lineup:

Kunitz - Crosby - Yak
JJ/BB - Malkin - Neal
JJ/BB - Sutter - Kobe
Adams - Vitale - Jeffery

I think I'd rather keep Dupuis if Bylsma got fired. :laugh: I also think Kunitz isn't going to legitimately be a top 6 player in the relatively near future so it's time to start looking for a replacement.

Bennett/Kunitz/Jokinen - Crosby - Yakupov/X
Jokinen/Bennett/Kunitz - Malkin - Neal
Kunitz/Bennett - Jeffrey - Dupuis
Kobasew - Adams - Vitale

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Heh.

I meant Despres. Still recovering from that flight.

And you seriously do not think that Maatta would not be drafted higher than 22nd and Simon Despres would not be picked higher than 30 in a redraft?

I originally thought you meant that they would be picked higher than Yakupov. But I'm not sure why that's relevant to trading Maatta and Dupuis for him.

Crosby's two wingers work their butts off every shift. That's fantastic. But sometimes they look completely gassed when it's time to **** and load the shot to snipe a goal from another great Crosby pass. Maybe that's why they both swing and miss so much.

An ideal scenario would be having only one of Crosby's two wingers, and having a natural finisher like Yak...who would learn a LOT about work ethic just by being around guys like Crosby and whoever the other winger is (Kunitz or Dupuis, it matters little).

Now THAT to me is what I would consider the best line in hockey, if the chemistry is right. And THAT would be a harder line to shut down. What a concept, right? A top line with more than one finisher.

Yeah, I like the idea of a Bennett-Crosby-Yakupov line because there's two guys who can be 50 goal scorers, two guys that are great playmakers, and two guys who are strong along the boards and defensively. There's a little bit of everything there.

I agree that being put on a better team and around someone like Crosby would be a good learning experience for Yak.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I originally thought you meant that they would be picked higher than Yakupov. But I'm not sure why that's relevant to trading Maatta and Dupuis for him.

Yeah, I like the idea of a Bennett-Crosby-Yakupov line because there's two guys who can be 50 goal scorers, two guys that are great playmakers, and two guys who are strong along the boards and defensively. There's a little bit of everything there.

I agree that being put on a better team and around someone like Crosby would be a good learning experience for Yak.

What's a net front presence eh ;)

I'd much rather keep BB on Geno's line and put Kunitz on Sid's line

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
What's a net front presence eh ;)

I'd much rather keep BB on Geno's line and put Kunitz on Sid's line

In general or in the imaginary world that Yakupov is on our team?

I think Geno needs Kunitz and what Kunitz brings a lot more than Sid does. I also think Sid needs Beau and what Beau brings a lot more than Geno does.

As far as the net front presence goes, we don't really have on the team. That's supposed to be Kunitz's job, but he's awful at it. Sid has been our best net front presence as of late.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I think Geno needs Kunitz and what Kunitz brings a lot more than Sid does. I also think Sid needs Beau and what Beau brings a lot more than Geno does.

As far as the net front presence goes, we don't really have on the team. That's supposed to be Kunitz's job, but he's awful at it. Sid has been our best net front presence as of late.

Kunitz isn't bad at creating havoc in front of the net, it's 6 games in, not everyone is in fine mid-season form yet, Geno is still looking a little off and so are Sid's linemates and quite a few on this team. Fleury actually looks solid as well as Sid and of course, Olli, Scuds, Nisky and Bortz.

The team has needed another Kunitz type for a while, but it's not like every line needs a net front presence guy, you just need someone that can go in that area when need be, Neal can and has on occasion, so has Dupuis, of course Kunitz and with Beau having a bit more muscle on his frame, he's been going to the dirty areas in the corners, along the boards and seems to be willing to play any game the team needs him to, let's give that kid a chance.

This is one of the reasons why I want to know how well Kuhn is doing in WBS in terms of crashing the net and shooting instead of playing hot potato, which is a problem at times with the wingers on this team not named Neal and Jokinen.

Again, 6 games in. I'm not going to crap all over the winger situation, so many things can change in a month or two.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010

The imaginary world of course :laugh:

I would much rather keep the KMN line together, they were more effective by far than the KCD line, that line only works cause of Sid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad