Proposal: Pens - Oilers Trade

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, we outscore everyone in the regular season. Playoffs, another story. A guy like Yak would help tremendously with that, provided he can cope with the hard hitting style in the playoffs.

That's a question mark, but to say he wouldn't help us at all is a bit too much.

Yes because a soft as butter floater who shies away from contact screams playoff hockey.

If half of what Yak supposedly said is true Shero would not come within 10 feet of the guy.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
If Yakupov really did say those things; and his play seems to highlight that. Then why would the Pens want him on their team?

At this rate it looks like he'll be in the KHL in a few years.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
That...is actually a pretty tantalizing idea, although I guess it remains to be seen whether Yak will actually live up to his hype. And I don't think Yakupov is going to be moved for Dupuis+Niskanen - Edmonton already has a lot of good forwards, it's their defense that needs to be primarily addressed.

They're also 27th in the league as far as PK goes, and most of their forward depth is on left wing. Take out Yakupov that leaves them with Eberle and Hemsky on right wing. That was my thinking anyway. Don't follow EDM that closely, so yeah. Mostly it was to move Duper, because if we kept him no way he's coming off of Sid's line and that would make both proposed trades kinda moot, much like we saw last season.

And SEALBound ... those lines are pretty sweet, too.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The Pens or anyone else will be able to get Yak for (a lot?) less in a few years. He's no Daigle, but he's closer to Daigle than to 87 or 66.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Not for nothing but a young player like Yakupov has to two major stars to look up too in Malkin or Crosby. Two who pretty much have done a lot in their career already.. While with the Oilers Yakupov is probably thinking these guys are not that far off from him. So instead of looking up to them, he is comparing his abilities with theirs

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
They're also 27th in the league as far as PK goes, and most of their forward depth is on left wing. Take out Yakupov that leaves them with Eberle and Hemsky on right wing. That was my thinking anyway. Don't follow EDM that closely, so yeah. Mostly it was to move Duper, because if we kept him no way he's coming off of Sid's line and that would make both proposed trades kinda moot, much like we saw last season.

And SEALBound ... those lines are pretty sweet, too.

Our GM had a chance to be rid of Pascal Dupuis once and for all this past summer, and he gave him a four-year contract!

The only way this goes down is when we switch GM's. Hopefully, Yakupov will still be somewhat available by this summer when our new regime takes office.

Right now, Yakupov seems to be in a similar position Markus Naslund was with us many moons ago.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Lines would and should be:

Kunitz-Crosby-Simmonds
Yakopov-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Sutter-Jokinen

To be honest anything of this caliber would be something like:

Fleury + Harrington/Pouliot + Engo

For

Yakupov + Dubs + 2nd

Nah. For starters, Yakupov isn't a LW and we'd run into the same issue with Iggy being on Malkin's line: two primary goal scorers on the wings. I also don't really like the idea of a Kunitz-Simmonds tandems on Sid's wing, there still wouldn't be anyone who could create on their own.

I would do:

Bennett-Crosby-Yakupov
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Simmonds

in the fictitious world that could actually happen.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Whilst I would enjoy having Yakupov on the team the asking price for someone who hasn't performed to the talent they have just isn't worth it. Unless they're interested in taking Niskanen and someone like Dupuis in a deal then I would be interested as it would otherwise affect Beau Bennett's playing time on the top 6 and I'd rather have him on the top 6. I'd also like us to keep our 1st rounder pick. Could we trade Despres and Engelland for him in a deal? Possibly. But I'd probably rather keep Despres.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Nah. For starters, Yakupov isn't a LW and we'd run into the same issue with Iggy being on Malkin's line: two primary goal scorers on the wings. I also don't really like the idea of a Kunitz-Simmonds tandems on Sid's wing, there still wouldn't be anyone who could create on their own.

I would do:

Bennett-Crosby-Yakupov
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Simmonds

Another interesting option, since Simmonds is a righty, if he could move to left wing in this fictitious world ....

BB-Sid-Yak
Simmonds-Geno-Neal
Kunitz-Sutter-JJ

And Jag68Sid87 ... Oh, I doubt Shero would do it, and Duper has a limited NTC, so it may be even less possible, but I agree with you that the time to cut Duper loose was this summer, not re-sign him for 4 years.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Pens or anyone else will be able to get Yak for (a lot?) less in a few years. He's no Daigle, but he's closer to Daigle than to 87 or 66.

So is nearly every other 1st overall pick. How is that a relevant comparison?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I would do:

Bennett-Crosby-Yakupov
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Sutter-Simmonds

Well said. I don't know why I'm giving some hypothetical dream scenario any though.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
With Yakupov sitting for the Oilers, and the Pens having some foward injury issues, i think the Oilers could budge if we would trade one of our young "D" prospects with a 2nd rounder for Yakupov... Mind you for Yak did do fairly well scoring last year...

Nope. You don't get a 1st overall one year after his draft for Scott Harrington and a 2nd.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
BB-Crosby-Neal <---- If BB was a Canadian it would be called team Canada
Kulemin-Malkin-Yakupov <------ The all Russian line or team Russia
Kunitz-Sutter-Simmonds <---- Team Hurt or the Hurt line.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
So someone fill me in, because it makes a huge difference as to what I would offer.

In this hypothetical trade are we trading for the first overall pick who we can imagine is a mixture of Crosby, Mario and Malkin all rolled into one, because he was taken first overall.

Or would we be trading for the self described floater who does not care to do anything but take shots on goal, and who makes Charmin look like sandpaper in comparison?

I am not really sure which of these Yak's we are talking about.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So someone fill me in, because it makes a huge difference as to what I would offer.

In this hypothetical trade are we trading for the first overall pick who we can imagine is a mixture of Crosby, Mario and Malkin all rolled into one, because he was taken first overall.

Or would we be trading for the self described floater who does not care to do anything but take shots on goal, and who makes Charmin look like sandpaper in comparison?

How about neither.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
BB-Crosby-Neal <---- If BB was a Canadian it would be called team Canada
Kulemin-Malkin-Yakupov <------ The all Russian line or team Russia
Kunitz-Sutter-Simmonds <---- Team Hurt or the Hurt line.

Plan the parade :win:

That would be a pretty sweet top 9

malks7171*

in what crazy universe do you get nail yakupov for dupuis+niskanen. you got to throw a third round pick in there at least

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

We're talking about a 20 year old with a good deal of talent ... it's a little early to be pigeon holing him, don't ya think?

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
So is nearly every other 1st overall pick. How is that a relevant comparison?

The point is the Oilers, having only drafted him as a number 1 pick recently, would probably still value him as an overall number 1 pick on the trade market. Over time, IMHO, his trade value will go down because his play - assuming he is not scratched every night - will not reflect how the Oilers currently value him. Thus, anyone paying what the Oilers would demand at this time would be overpaying.

Where he ultimately and exactly falls in the spectrum of past overall #1s is an interesting question, but one that I'm not prepared to explore at this time. I suspect he will be in the bottom 50% - i.e., closer to Daigle than to 66/87.

Does that help?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The point is the Oilers, having only drafted him as a number 1 pick recently, would probably still value him as an overall number 1 pick on the trade market. Over time, IMHO, his trade value will go down because his play - assuming he is not scratched every night - will not reflect how the Oilers currently value him. Thus, anyone paying what the Oilers would demand at this time would be overpaying.

Where he ultimately and exactly falls in the spectrum of past overall #1s is an interesting question, but one that I'm not prepared to explore at this time. I suspect he will be in the bottom 50% - i.e., closer to Daigle than to 66/87.

Does that help?

Yeah it helps. I just don't think there is any reason to bring up Daigle or any other number 1 overall for that matter. As you said, it's too early to tell where he fits in that spectrum. He was a 1st overall so the Oilers will want a lot for him. I doubt they are looking to move him anyway.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Your 2014/15 Pittsburgh Penguins! We also got Lundqvist!:laugh:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Beau Bennett ($0.900m) / Sidney Crosby ($8.700m) / Nail Yakupov ($3.775m)
Nikolai Kulemin ($3.500m) / Evgeni Malkin ($9.500m) / James Neal ($5.000m)
Chris Kunitz ($3.850m) / Brandon Sutter ($2.500m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Zach Sill ($0.605m) / Joe Vitale ($0.650m) / Craig Adams ($0.700m)
Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.605m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Rob Scuderi ($3.375m) / Kris Letang ($7.250m)
Paul Martin ($5.000m) / Simon Despres ($1.250m)
Olli Maatta ($0.894m) / Brian Dumoulin ($0.900m)
Robert Bortuzzo ($0.600m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($7.250m)
Eric Hartzell ($0.550m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $71,329,167; BONUSES: $2,918,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,589,167

Not bad, not bad at all :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad