Confirmed with Link: Pens acquire Reilly Smith for a 3rd round pick

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So Reilly is a solid top 9 winger that can penalty kill. So naturally Sullivan should never use him on the penalty kill and utilize him in the worst ways possible.

Obviously.

Literally the only reason Sullivan is a fan of the acquisition.

Sullivan probably asks prospective applicants whether they can PK when looking for a new housekeeper.
And then never use them there or what?

Remember when Kapanen was like the 2nd or third most utilized winger for the Leafs pk and then he came to the Pens and spent like 1 min or something total in his entire tenure?

Working with some real f***ing geniuses here.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'm against using ~5M players on L3 full time, unless you're using a balanced approach and have a cheaper winger in the top 6.
Especially if we're talking about how Sullivan uses L3...you're just not gonna produce much like that.

Bringing Zucker back is a luxury we can't afford now. Let him go. Use that money to address the actual holes.
Couldn’t you bring him back if they bought out Granlund? I don’t want Zucker back necessarily, but it seems like you could re-sign him if Granlund wasn’t a thing. I’m still surprised Dubas hasn’t bought him out yet.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Couldn’t you bring him back if they bought out Granlund? I don’t want Zucker back necessarily, but it seems like you could re-sign him if Granlund wasn’t a thing. I’m still surprised Dubas hasn’t bought him out yet.
His reaction to the buyout question has me thinking he has a Granlund for a bag of pucks trade in the works. Just wonder how much net cap space we'd gain in such a deal.

Reactions: Pens x

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
And here's his player card from last year:

Screen-Shot-2022-04-19-at-11.31.02-AM.png

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
You could, but then you're paying someone ~5 mill to be an L3 winger, with sub-optimal usage to produce scoring. Someone would have that spot at any given time, besides when top 6 wings are hurt.
The priority now needs to be goalie, 1LD and possibly 2RD if Petry goes, 3C and balanced depth in the bottom 6.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Vegas fan checking in merely to offer hearty congratulations on getting a very solid 200' player who has a couple of good years left, and for peanuts. Our cap pain is your tangible gain.

I think it worked pretty well for both teams.

This allowed Vegas to re-up Barbashev at what I think is at least a fair deal. Probably closer to outright good deal. Especially considering his playoffs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Vegas fan checking in merely to offer hearty congratulations on getting a very solid 200' player who has a couple of good years left, and for peanuts. Our cap pain is your tangible gain.

I feel like this is a beautiful continuation of the circle of life after we had to send you MAF after our cup win.

And we are indeed excited to have him here.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Hockeytown USA
I think it worked pretty well for both teams.

This allowed Vegas to re-up Barbashev at what I think is at least a fair deal. Probably closer to outright good deal. Especially considering his playoffs.

Suffice it to say that while Vegas fans are sad to lose Reilly, we're at least happy that he didn't go to a team within the Western Conference. Have seen way too many games where low-key Reilly Smith turned out to be the difference maker.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Suffice it to say that while Vegas fans are sad to lose Reilly, we're at least happy that he didn't go to a team within the Western Conference. Have seen way too many games where low-key Reilly Smith turned out to be the difference maker.

His 14 points in 22 playoff games en route to a Cup is pretty impressive.

Since I have you here a moment... you like him better at LW or RW?

I'm eager to see how he slots in next to Sid/Malkin.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why would you want to bring back a player that beyond last season was riddled with injuries in his time here? No thanks, good player but too injury prone.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Can he forecheck and pressure D, thats all I care...thats what we need, someone to carry water for our aged superstars, Rust and Guentzel, anything more would be gravy

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
At worst he's scoring depth for the 3rd line.

If Dubas can get out of the Petry and Granlund deals, we have to feel good about this offseason so far.
I like Petry I hope he stays unless we can get younger back there like a Hanafin as a Dumo replacement. I dunno who would fill in for Petry though.

Reactions: Factorial

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad