Confirmed with Link: Pens acquire Reilly Smith for a 3rd round pick

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Coulda.

If you'd got them. With Barbashev gone - and assume Vegas make that Smith deal with someone - you're talking Domi, Compher, Bunting and Bertuzzi. No gurantees you're leaving UFA with one of them, or it'll be one the you want, or it'll be at a price you like.

Happy to take the fit now over rattling the mystery boxes in UFA.
I’d like Engvall as well…

Who? Age really doesn't matter at all. Smith is good, all that matters.
Bunting, Compher, Engvall …

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’d like Engvall as well…

Bunting, Compher, Engvall …

I don't think Engvall is in the same class quality wise (I'm not sure Compher is truth be told)

Besides, the money is still there to sign one of these guys if they want

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Or we could have signed a younger 27-28 year old player, or even younger, for our top six

I generally agree. They can still do that, especially if they get rid of Granlund. The free agent crop is less than stellar though. I don't see Boston letting Bertuzzi go, though I imagine Dubas is at least somewhat interested in Bunting.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think Engvall is in the same class quality wise (I'm not sure Compher is truth be told)

Besides, the money is still there to sign one of these guys if they want
Possibly but then we have someone getting between $4-5 mil playing on L3 and we’re trying to avoid that

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Possibly but then we have someone getting between $4-5 mil playing on L3 and we’re trying to avoid that

Are we?

By we the fans, or by we you mean Dubas?

Because I don't know what Dubas wants. But he's talked about an absence of depth and plenty of teams do have guys worth 5m on their third line.

I don't know it's going to happen with all the holes, but I wouldn't rule it out either. If you want competition in the top 6, its the easiest way to do it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
No complaints from me. Very nice deal. Can't wait to see what a Granlund-Carter-Smith line can do.

In all seriousness, though, he's a slight upgrade on what Zucker provided last year but also more likely to repeat it. I don't think he moves the needle all that much, but he fills a glaring hole, for relatively cheap, and they didn't have to give him 4-5-6 years and a NTC. Well done Dubas. Now find a goalie that's not Jarry.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
No. No. And no. We don't like players like that
sarcasm-sarcasm-sign.gif

SomeOldDude

May 27, 2016
VA
I like this deal. If we could dump Granlund and some cash for a great goalie and bring Zucker back I would love that. Zuck was all heart last year and would probably be more of the same this year.

What would be wrong with this? It would be better if we could get rid of big jeff, but I doubt that.
Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
DOC-Malkin-Zucker
Nylander-Poehling-Smith
Archi-Carter-Rust

mephisto1812

Mar 28, 2013
Just basing it off the first trade, it seems like Dubas and Sullivan are actually going to be on the same page. Smith seems like a player that Sullivan would really like.

And I know, I know — Sullivan is the worst.
My hope is they ARE on the same page... if it flames out, fk it, so be it... I just want them to be aligned. If it fails, so be it.... fire sully and move on. But give it a chance.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It'd have to be 4 mil per or less for me to be interested, and at that price he wouldn't have much reason to be.

Eh. Seems to like it here. He’s been making bank for awhile. I won’t be beat up if he leaves.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Omg Sleepy, or rather I guess Dopey? Made us older again, damn.

Narrator - And Sullivan still used Heinen over him.

I like this deal. If we could dump Granlund and some cash for a great goalie and bring Zucker back I would love that. Zuck was all heart last year and would probably be more of the same this year.

What would be wrong with this? It would be better if we could get rid of big jeff, but I doubt that.
Guentzel-Crosby-Rakell
DOC-Malkin-Zucker
Nylander-Poehling-Smith
Archi-Carter-Rust

Zucker isn’t coming back.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm against using ~5M players on L3 full time, unless you're using a balanced approach and have a cheaper winger in the top 6.
Especially if we're talking about how Sullivan uses L3...you're just not gonna produce much like that.

Bringing Zucker back is a luxury we can't afford now. Let him go. Use that money to address the actual holes.

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad