Confirmed with Link: Pens acquire Reilly Smith for a 3rd round pick

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I like Petry I hope he stays unless we can get younger back there like a Hanafin as a Dumo replacement. I dunno who would fill in for Petry though.
We are playing with fire. At any point in time his wheels can fall off and it can be an anchor around the ankle of this core.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Petry flat out sucks, but I don't give the slightest f*** about him either. If they're confident they can find a 2RD, I'd be fine exploring a trade involving Petry.

But Granlund's removal should be higher on the list by leaps and bounds, imo. More pressing than additions, imo, because removing Granlund before FA opens allows you to be that much more aggressive.

I keep going back to this but man, wouldn't it be sick if the team didn't have more than $8 million tied up in dogshit between Granlund and Carter. That's a huge chunk of money to play with. :laugh: Thanks, Hexy!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think Petry flat out sucks, but I don't give the slightest f*** about him either. If they're confident they can find a 2RD, I'd be fine exploring a trade involving Petry.

But Granlund's removal should be higher on the list by leaps and bounds, imo. More pressing than additions, imo, because removing Granlund before FA opens allows you to be that much more aggressive.

I keep going back to this but man, wouldn't it be sick if the team didn't have more than $8 million tied up in dogshit between Granlund and Carter. That's a huge chunk of money to play with. :laugh: Thanks, Hexy!

Milbury is about the only GM I can think of that was worse than Hextall. What a comedy of errors.

Dubas is going to earn some stripes here, one way or another. To fix it, I don't see us having any picks for the next 3 drafts. When this turns south, it's going to be south in the worst way possible. Hopefully we can squeeze another long playoff run or two out before then.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Milbury is about the only GM I can think of that was worse than Hextall. What a comedy of errors.

Dubas is going to earn some stripes here, one way or another. To fix it, I don't see us having any picks for the next 3 drafts. When this turns south, it's going to be south in the worst way possible. Hopefully we can squeeze another long playoff run or two out before then.
Yeah, I don't think the smartest, best GM in the world would be able to fix what JR and Hextall have done over the course of the past half decade tbh. I'm pretty whatever on Dubas, but at the same time, interested to see how he navigates this whole mess. He's signed for 7 years iirc, so he's not gonna f*** things up for himself down the road--which I think is a good thing.

Best I'm hoping for is as much of an error free final few years of Sid's career. I'd prefer if they picked a lane, but the organization doesn't seem to be brave enough to commit one way or another. So just let it be an entertaining brand of hockey, since it likely won't be a winning one. /shrug

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
Odds on Sullivan pulling his “ease into the season” routine with Smith? There’s no way he pulls it with Smith, right?
Depends if he shows up to the first team meeting dripped out or not

5ba7120f22b49637a9a5733479dacac59491957f.jpg

KnightCap78

Aug 10, 2020
Knights fan coming in peace. Pittsburgh is getting a hell of a player in Smith. He is hot/cold goal wise, but hes never that player you are yelling at your tv “Why *insert players name*, WHY????” and I personally believe those type of players make a difference. Off the ice Reilly has been a class act in the Vegas community and imagine more will happen In Pittsburgh. Enjoy and treat him right!

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Bergevin, JFJ, Milbury, Hextall ..... all of the same ilk.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
As mentioned in that other thread, I have some reservations about this move.

Sure, it could be a win for us, if Smith’s play holds up as a 33-34 year old player. But according to Vegas fans, he faded down the stretch this season, and faded in the Cup final. Smith will already be 33 years old before the next playoffs start, and he will have a very short summer to recover in time for next season. 5M in cap is nothing to sneeze at, if he does continue to fall off and turn into a Granlund-like dud. Wait and see for me.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
As mentioned in that other thread, I have some reservations about this move.

Sure, it could be a win for us, if Smith’s play holds up as a 33-34 year old player. But according to Vegas fans, he faded down the stretch this season, and faded in the Cup final. Smith will already be 33 years old before the next playoffs start, and he will have a very short summer to recover in time for next season. 5M in cap is nothing to sneeze at, if he does continue to fall off and turn into a Granlund-like dud. Wait and see for me.

I think the choices came down to this: resign Zucker or obtain Reilly Smith

I don't dismiss your age/injury concerns with Smith, but I feel it was much of the same worry and risk with Zucker

Know what would have been super cool? Not having Granlund around and being able to keep Zucker
Now that's some F depth to have the flexibility to push guys down to the 3rd line, but alas...

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I think the choices came down to this: resign Zucker or obtain Reilly Smith

I don't dismiss your age/injury concerns with Smith, but I feel it was much of the same worry and risk with Zucker

Know what would have been super cool? Not having Granlund around and being able to keep Zucker
Now that's some F depth to have the flexibility to push guys down to the 3rd line, but alas...
For sure, I wanted Zucker gone too. What about other choices though? I would’ve loved Bertuzzi, surely the Pens could’ve beaten a 1 year deal? Or trade for a guy in his 20s perhaps? Sure prices would’ve been higher, but sometimes you have to give to get.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
For sure, I wanted Zucker gone too. What about other choices though? I would’ve loved Bertuzzi, surely the Pens could’ve beaten a 1 year deal? Or trade for a guy in his 20s perhaps? Sure prices would’ve been higher, but sometimes you have to give to get.

Right, without Granlund here they could have explored a bunch of other winger options: Bert, Tarasanko, etc.
Hell you wonder if the EK deal doesn't get done now if the Sharks don't have to retain as much

For those that aren't familiar with the concept of "opportunity cost", here is your real world example

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Knights fan coming in peace. Pittsburgh is getting a hell of a player in Smith. He is hot/cold goal wise, but hes never that player you are yelling at your tv “Why *insert players name*, WHY????” and I personally believe those type of players make a difference. Off the ice Reilly has been a class act in the Vegas community and imagine more will happen In Pittsburgh. Enjoy and treat him right!

Been yelling "why, Reilly Smith why" all season.

You owe me a soda KnightCap78.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
It's just weird. He had such a good start to the season. He, Malkin, and Rakell were clicking those first 10-11 games (even though RR went pointless) and then poof, it's gone. I can't believe it's an injury thing, but maybe. If he were awful right from the get go it would be easier to understand if he were unhappy or just didn't jive with Sullivan but the start just makes you wonder what the hell happened.

Clearly going through the motions, but since he's a North American player he gets automatic top 6 duty for Sully.

f*** both of these dudes sideways

To be the fairest of fair, Sully did put him on the 3rd line for a short while last month.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad