Confirmed with Link: Pens acquire Reilly Smith for a 3rd round pick

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Has averaged around 2.1 Pts/60 at 5v5 in Vegas.

So we got a pretty good 5v5 producer, who scores goals at a good rate at 5v5.

Don't have to worry about needing PP time for him. Has a good shot for PP2's trigger man.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Provided that the team makes the playoffs... you love to see Smith's 14 points in 22 games, too.

That's the kind of impact only a very few have had at the wing position for this team's deep playoff runs over the years.
79 points in 109 playoff games.

Pretty good for a complimentary winger that no one really thinks about.

We don’t have a PP2.
They were a good unit last year tbh. Even with like 25 seconds every powerplay.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well I like the player but I thought we were trying to get younger lol

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
79 points in 109 playoff games.

Pretty good for a complimentary winger that no one really thinks about.

I was just referencing last year's Cup run. But yes his overall numbers are quite good.

I like that he is an off-the-rush kind of guy and can create there. This team does a lot of that. Also seems like a more natural goal scorer even if his totals don't really reflect that. Every time I can remember watching him he seemed like the kind of player that was smart about finding soft spots in coverage etc.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Trading for Smith makes more sense than extending Zucker so I'll call this a good deal.
Or we could have signed a younger 27-28 year old player, or even younger, for our top six

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens like Zucker but he wants term and Pens can't have a bunch of players under contract after Sid is gone. Said last year this is a three year plan and Smith fits that time frame. Geno, Letang will be moved down the road as Dubas knows the plan is compete for the next couple and get picks and prospects while still having the next couple draft picks to help in the rebuild. Move Petry and trade for a younger RD. And then a goalie but no way I see the Pens matching or exceeding the teams after the Jets goalie.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
considering cap space is king it's a fair deal, neither good or bad. Just wait for cost to get rid of Granlund...

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I want the team to get younger but more than that I don’t want Zucker to get resigned.

So I’m cool with this.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don’t see how anyone could really have an issue with this deal.

I see the complaints and I think the complaints are dumb. Third round pick.

Reactions: Ryder71

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Or we could have signed a younger 27-28 year old player, or even younger, for our top six

Coulda.

If you'd got them. With Barbashev gone - and assume Vegas make that Smith deal with someone - you're talking Domi, Compher, Bunting and Bertuzzi. No gurantees you're leaving UFA with one of them, or it'll be one the you want, or it'll be at a price you like.

Happy to take the fit now over rattling the mystery boxes in UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad