Post-Game Talk: Pens - 6, Lightning - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
His east west style of play, lack of elite speed, great passing, Neal light shot fit Malkin like a glove. Crosby always did better with more of a north south player.

Perron was made to play with Malkin.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

No doubt the ref was carrying some rare, contagious tropical disease.

Ebbett had his best game as a Pen, although he went back toward invisible mode after the first 30 minutes or so. Essentially he, Rust and Farnham were playing not to be scratched tonight. I suspect it will be Farnham who is in the press box. It will also be interesting to see who sits when Martin comes back soon. One would think it will be DP, but it could just as easily be Bort. That pairing last night made me uncomfortable.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
If Perron goes with Malkin then are we still looking for a winger for Sid or do we wait until Hornqvist is fit again?

Also, not going to lie. I completely forgot about Megna.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If Perron goes with Malkin then are we still looking for a winger for Sid or do we wait until Hornqvist is fit again?

Also, not going to lie. I completely forgot about Megna.

Who cares about the regular season? If the plan is Malkin and Perron in April get them together as soon and as long as possible to get comfortable with one another.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
When we signed Downie and Comeau this off-season, I expected one of them to be mediocre.

Both of them have just been unreal this season.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Rust looked good last night. Not sure why Adams got to take his place.

There was a Tweet (forgot by who) after Ehrhoff got slapped in the face with a stick in the third saying that Ehrhoff and Rust are sitting on the bench crouched over and in pain. No idea what happened to Rust, but that could explain it.

EDIT: I remembered wrong, it was Sutter.

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
When we signed Downie and Comeau this off-season, I expected one of them to be mediocre.

Both of them have just been unreal this season.

Agreed. JR deserves a ton of credit for rebuilding this team as we wanted on the cheap.

As is, Crosby with Hornqvist, Malkin with Perron, Sutter third line center, and fill in the wings with either another aquisition or some combination of Downie, Comeau, Bennett and Kunitz and you have a deadly top six, and a strong bottom six as well. I think that the Pens will surprise many this playoffs if they are healthy.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Good. Hopefully he will stay there for a while this time. When we need Megna, it´s always a bad sign. I´m curious who´s gonna be scratched, though.

Ebbett? Rust? Farnham? Adams? Hopefully it´s not Farnham, that would be so dumb.

That's a good question, before last night's game i would of definitly said Ebbett, but since Ebbett had a good game maybe it will be Farnham.

Its really hard to predict MJ lineup though, who would of ever guessed that Geno would of played with Ebbett and Rust going into last night's game.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Who cares about the regular season? If the plan is Malkin and Perron in April get them together as soon and as long as possible to get comfortable with one another.

Crosby still needs a winger. Hornqvist works but he needs a LW.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Hornqvist + Bennett/Comeau/Downie/Kunitz is better than he has had in years and is good enough, assuming no trade. It is not like he would have to have Rust on his wing.

Right now I'd want Downie on there and go;

Downie-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Perron
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett

Can then get a top 6 winger if needs be.

LionelHutz*

Good. Hopefully he will stay there for a while this time. When we need Megna, it´s always a bad sign. I´m curious who´s gonna be scratched, though.

Ebbett? Rust? Farnham? Adams? Hopefully it´s not Farnham, that would be so dumb.

Even though he played pretty good and got a goal last night, Ebbett should be the guy to sit.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Time for Pouliot to go back down and put Harrington in the lineup until Martin is back.

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
Hornqvist + Bennett/Comeau/Downie/Kunitz is better than he has had in years and is good enough, assuming no trade. It is not like he would have to have Rust on his wing.

Agreed! Just compare this team to last years team, that should have beaten the Stanley Cup finalists even with horrible hockey players like Glass on it. Should be in much better shape this year.....Sutter is an example, last year he had to play mostly with garbage, right now he plays with Kunitz and Bennett.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Haven't read the thread, so sorry if this quote by Johnston has been posted before:

Johnston: "Recognizing sort of where we were heading with the [David Perron] trade, and I think everybody knows, ideally we would like to have those three centers [Crosby, Malkin and Brandon Sutter]," Johnston said. "So, I thought the other night, they were OK together. I really like them 4-on-4, but I thought where we're heading today and tomorrow is to try to get back to three centers. That's our strength and we have to play to our strength."

Thanks for that, kikkerlaika. HOPEFULLY this MJ quote puts to bed the absolute nonsense I keep seeing a few people on here post, about how MJ sees Sutter as his 2C and wants Malkin on the wing. RIDICULOUS! I simply do NOT GET why some posters (Jag68Sid87 for one) couldn't see that as something MJ OBVIOUSLY did DUE TO PERSONNEL SHORTAGES, AS A TEMPORARY THING, as opposed to what he sees as the way his lineup should be constructed if the team were fully healthy. GEEZ! MJ is NOT an idiot -- I'd like to think he's shown that by now...

Downie-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Perron
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett

That's a pretty good-looking lineup, honestly -- which is a testament to the posters here that said, prior to the Perron trade "we are really not that far off, personnel-wise." I think that lineup, if healthy, could do some real damage -- given the talent we have on the back end.

That said, I do hope that JR has that one more, good move up his sleeve to bring in one more top-6 winger, and as has been said, he still has chips available to do so. If he pulls that off, I don't see how this team does not become an immediate, top 2-3 Cup favorite. Then, an injury in the top 6 would STILL leave us with a lineup like the above...I can't imagine having that degree of top-6 depth. C'mon, JR -- one more! You can do it, and you don't even have to blow up our prospect pool or roster, to do so...

Even a Jagr, a Stewart, someone like that, could be minimally acceptable. A Williams for Martin, as mentioned in other threads, sure would be nice; BUT -- if JR pulls off a potentially long-term solution? Then it's JR FOR PRESIDENT!

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Downie-Crosby-Hornqvist
Comeau-Malkin-Perron
Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett

Hate that first line with Downie there. I appreciate what he is doing for this team, but if he's a top line winger come playoff time, Crosby is going to struggle again.

We'll see what happens by the deadline. However, with Hornqvist, Perron and Downie, this team is going to be extremely unpleasant to play agt in the playoffs. All three guys play balls to the walls hockey and are aggravating as hell to try and deal with shift after shift.

Should be a complete 180 from last season and fun to watch.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We need to fix Sid's line. Its obvious as hell to put him with Sid. Unless JR has an even more dynamic player coming in, thats how it should be.

Perron-Sid-PH. You'll get the most out of all three players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad