Post-Game Talk: Pens - 6, Lightning - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

I'm so excited to see Perron play tomorrow (hopefully). I'm so excited to see an actual skilled winger in our top-6 that won't get hurt every 5 games (sorry Beau)

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Perron basically 'assumes' Dupuis' cap space, meaning there's space for a 3.5M acquisition prorated at the deadline. Add in Spaling or flip a Martin, and there's plenty of cap space to do it. Plus, JR still has a young defenseman he could move.

If JR wants to make a monster deal, then he's got the cap space and assets to do it.

I think you're mixing LTIR up but I'm tired; I still don't think there will be a monster deal. A deal? Yes. A monster deal? No. They have assets and ability to open up cap space, that doesn't mean it's what will happen. If I had to guess Martin gets traded and maybe one of the young D is traded (please be Dumoulin) depending on what happens with the players we have. A solid option will be brought in.

JR has really done a lot already (funny how quickly they were able to do that) and I don't think he's about to one up the other two trades. Odds are it's at the fine tuning point of what they're willing to do unless there's an issue on the winger front.

JR hasn't ****ed up yet but the third times the charm. :laugh:

I'm so excited to see Perron play tomorrow (hopefully). I'm so excited to see an actual skilled winger in our top-6 that won't get hurt every 5 games (sorry Beau)

We'll see how that goes. :laugh: :cry: :help:

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
Didn't catch the whole game but I saw great things

-Malkin is the best player in the world
-Crosby is alive
-Kunitz plays hockey again I guess
-Pouliot is great and all but he could use some more time
-Letang is a Norris man again
-Downie is really good at playing hockey and should stay as Sid's bodyguard

I can't wait for David Perron to arrive and start kicking some serious ass with Sid or Geno

I want him with Sid to start

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just got home and wanted to chat about the game a bit...

Letang: Wow.. great game. There was one specific moment that I want to touch on. The one where Tyler Johnson was full speed and Letang was caught in a pivot. Letang just turned on his after burners and matched the pace. I bet only a handful of defenders could have made a play there to keep d-side positioning. 9/10 times that play is going for a breakaway. Great game by Tangers

Sid/Geno: Sid was his old self tonight and looks insane w/ Downie. Downie is a guy that needs to be with Sid. He cycles well and can protect him while he's out there by doing crazy ****. Geno on the other hand just went into Geno mode. Such a fun battle between him and Hedman tonight. I could watch those shifts over and over because it was playoff hockey and they were at one another's throats. Good stuff to watch.

Sutter/Beau/Kunitz: Man that line is good. Kunitz even looks good on it. Beau and Sutter are just meant for one another. Terrific work out there.

Props to the birthday boy for getting a goal tonight, too.

Sutter just seems to derive confidence from BB. He starts attacking with purpose and challenging defenders, hustles more, battles harder, etc.

Even Kunitz is looking a lot better.

BB just makes guys around him better.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Haven't read the thread, so sorry if this quote by Johnston has been posted before:

The Penguins ended a streak of three consecutive games with two goals or fewer. Crosby and Malkin, who had two points, were separated after playing the past few games together. Penguins coach Mike Johnston thought the lineup change contributed to their offensive outburst.

"Recognizing sort of where we were heading with the [David Perron] trade, and I think everybody knows, ideally we would like to have those three centers [Crosby, Malkin and Brandon Sutter]," Johnston said. "So, I thought the other night, they were OK together. I really like them 4-on-4, but I thought where we're heading today and tomorrow is to try to get back to three centers.

"That's our strength and we have to play to our strength."

terex

Jan 2, 2010
+++Secondary Sid with three of 'em tonight. Plus one primary, pffft.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
That's... pretty surprising about Spaling's numbers in comparison to Sutter. I suppose it could be at least partially explained away by playing in the top six the majority of the year. But that theory gets a massive hole blown right through it when you consider that Sutter more or less has, as well.

Blasphemy, perhaps... but maybe Sutter just really isn't nearly as good as this team seems to think he is? That's my takeaway, at least. Because, while I don't think Spaling is "terrible" or anything... he sure isn't good, either.

Spaling has 16 points. 9 of them are points Downie also got one from, 6 are points that Crosby or Malkin got one from.

He has played around 140min of 5v5 with Downie before today, and over 200+min combined with Crosby and Malkin. And while I can't really remember if every point he got with Downie was while playing in the bottom 6, he just produces better with him.

So, he is actually producing worse while playing up there. Same for Sutter, IIRC.

lordstanley91

Jan 22, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Am I the only one that thinks the ebbett-malkin-rust was the best line of the night? Malkin in beast mode, ebbett had good hockey IQ and vision tonight his passing was crisp and good jump (he did put up 32 pts in ANA), rust great on the forecheck and backcheck forced 2 turnovers that led to goals. Obviously not a long term solution but they played well.

How has no one given either ebbett or rust a +

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Am I the only one that thinks the ebbett-malkin-rust was the best line of the night? Malkin in beast mode, ebbett had good hockey IQ and vision tonight his passing was crisp and good jump (he did put up 32 pts in ANA), rust great on the forecheck and backcheck forced 2 turnovers that led to goals. Obviously not a long term solution but they played well.

How has no one given either ebbett or rust a +

They were the best line of the night 5 on 5. Clearly Ebbett and Rust understood what would happen to them if they didn't bust their *****. :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Apparently the key/good luck charm to Sid and Geno going into beast mode is Geno beating up Craig Adams in practice.

Adams has finally found something he's useful at.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Really thought the Perron trade gave the Pens a nice shot in the arm for this game. It looked like the team had plenty of jump.

It also helps that Downie seems to take Tampa trading him so personally and takes it out on them every time the two teams play. :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Really thought the Perron trade gave the Pens a nice shot in the arm for this game. It looked like the team had plenty of jump.

It also helps that Downie seems to take Tampa trading him so personally and takes it out on them every time the two teams play. :laugh:

Well it means for one thing that one of the musical chairs of a roster spot is being removed tomorrow by the Perron trade. Not to mention players coming back from being injured/ill. For some of these players it was their last chance to impress before decisions are made as to who gets sent down.

I am sure that played a role in the effort put forth by some tonight as well. Nothing crystallizes attention like 'I am firing one of you tomorrow, impress me today to make sure it is not you.' For the bottom of the roster, you ain't gonna leave anything on the ice tonight.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
H3WtzjP.png

<3

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
It is unbelievable how much better this team looks with Bennett in the lineup. Before the season started I had this as one of my keys to a succesfull year. Bennett just needs to stay healthy! I know this is a big if, but this guy is really, really good. I like the line of Kunitz-Sutter-Bennett a lot. And there is one big difference with this coach. Bylsma would have NEVER tried that combination.

With the addition of Perron, another problem should be solved. It will be very interesting, if Rutherford has at least one more deal up his sleeve. This team could do some damage, not a lot of things are missing, besides health of course. ;-)

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Malkin playing with two AHL'er and still put up two Points.. Malkin is THE BEST period.. 99% of any other star in the league cannot play with ahl guys and put points on on a consistent basis.. I think Johnston did that on purpose cause of his fight with Adams

Obviously Malkin to Johnston is what Despres to Bylsma,but I don't care.I would rather see Geno centering two AHLers than him playing on wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad