Post-Game Talk: Pens - 6, Lightning - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Why the ruckus over minutes? The back to back may also have had an influence on some leveling of times.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
fantasy sports culture.

more ice time = more opportunities for points = fantasy points.

can't people just be happy with a win?

As one of the primary ice time commenters, I find this comment 16 shades of hilarious. I haven't played fantasy sports in years. The ice time discussions are almost-never tied in with any discussion about points. When I mention ice time it's because it's indicative of the staff's philosophy on every aspect of the team/roster. It means something moving forward.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Exactly. Tracking ice time has very little to do with "complaining" and much more to do with attempting to understand the coaching staff's tendencies and preferences.

wopper

Jan 12, 2009
Can anybody explain to me why Despres was +/- of 0 and not 1? He was on the ice for 2 goals for ES and 1 goal against ES. A little confused there. I didn't see him on the ice for the first 2 goals.

I thought he had one of his more average games until the two mistakes where he got beat. On the goal where they scored I felt like he was playing for a 2 on 1 that obviously wasn't there and then had no speed to catch up.. it was a bad decision more than "getting burned" IMO.
I felt the benching was a little harsh considering his play most of the year.

On the MJ 3 center is our strength comment.. the issue is leaving Sutter at center with Malkin at Sutter's wing. That just makes no sense unless Sutter is a complete AHL player at wing... which maybe he is? I don't know..

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Can anybody explain to me why Despres was +/- of 0 and not 1? He was on the ice for 2 goals for ES and 1 goal against ES. A little confused there. I didn't see him on the ice for the first 2 goals.

Despres went to the bench after he made the long stretch pass to Ebbett which eventually led to Ebbett scoring his goal. So he wasn't on ice anymore when the puck went into the net even though he did get an assist for that goal.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
On the MJ 3 center is our strength comment.. the issue is leaving Sutter at center with Malkin at Sutter's wing. That just makes no sense unless Sutter is a complete AHL player at wing... which maybe he is? I don't know..

wopper, I think you missed my point. A few posters here have been deriding MJ by saying things like "since MJ clearly sees Sutter as a 2C over Malkin" or "since MJ obviously prefers Malkin on the wing, not at center," things like that. I have been trying to argue that NO, MJ does NOT prefer Sutter at 2C over Malkin, or prefer Malkin at wing. He is doing these things BECAUSE OF A PERSONNEL SHORTAGE ONLY. But, the folks deriding MJ refused to consider that point, even when I brought it up, and continued on in multiple different threads, saying the same "MJ wants Sutter as his 2C instead of Malkin" nonsense.

So, I re-posted the above quote from MJ, that kikkerlaika found, to hopefully prove the point once and for all that MJ does NOT see Malkin as a wing, with Sutter as a 2C -- EXCEPT DURING MAJOR PERSONNEL SHORTAGES, but instead sees the Pens having the advantage with Malkin at center -- which is what everyone here (and anyone with half a brain) would say, as well...

Last edited:

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
wopper, I think you missed my point. A few posters here have been deriding MJ by saying things like "since MJ clearly sees Sutter as a 2C over Malkin" or "since MJ obviously prefers Malkin on the wing," things like that. I have been trying to argue that NO, MJ does NOT prefer Sutter at 2C over Malkin, or prefer Malkin at wing. He is doing these things BECAUSE OF A PERSONNEL SHORTAGE ONLY. But, the folks deriding MJ refused to consider that point, even when I brought it up, and continued on in multiple different threads, saying the same "MJ wants Sutter as his 2C instead of Malkin" nonsense.

So, I re-posted the above quote from MJ, that kikkerlaika found, to hopefully prove the point once and for all that MJ does NOT see Malkin as a wing, with Sutter as a 2C, but sees the Pens having the advantage with Malkin at center -- which is what everyone here (and anyone with half a brain) would say, as well...

And yet I don't know any other elite center in the league that is moved to wing to accomodate lesser center. No matter the injuries, no matter the depth.

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
And yet I don't know any other elite center in the league that is moved to wing to accomodate lesser center. No matter the injuries, no matter the depth.
According to the stats at faceoffs.net Sutter is around 50% while Malkin is around 40% win percentage this year (Sutter also against slightly better competition). Which of those two would you rather have had taking more key faceoffs as the center of that line?

On top of that Malkin has had much more experience playing at wing because of all the time he has done it with Sid (and not just a couple times per game but several times for extended period of times such as his rookie season). Sutter has played very little wing and when DB tried him at wing briefly (last year or the year before?) he was a complete disaster who looked lost on the ice and constantly floated back into the center position. Malkin while less effective as a wing due to its limitations is still at least capable of playing the position fairly adequately in a pinch.

Given both of the above to me Sutter centering Malkin made a lot more sense than Malkin centering Sutter. So I really do not get the bellyaching about it anymore since MJ has finally made it clear that it was never intended to be a permanent thing.

Last edited:

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
According to the stats at faceoffs.net Sutter is around 50% while Malkin is around 40% win percentage this year (Sutter also against slightly better competition). Which of those two would you rather have had taking more key faceoffs as the center of that line?

On top of that Malkin has had much more experience playing at wing because of all the time he has done it with Sid (and not just a couple times per game but several times for extended period of times such as his rookie season). Sutter has played very little wing and when DB tried him at wing briefly (last year or the year before?) he was a complete disaster who looked lost on the ice and constantly floated back into the center position. Malkin while less effective as a wing due to its limitations is still at least capable of playing the position fairly adequately in a pinch.

Given both of the above to me Sutter centering Malkin made a lot more sense than Malkin centering Sutter. So I really do not get the bellyaching about it anymore since MJ has finally made it clear that it was never intended to be a permanent thing.

Well stated. Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad