Post-Game Talk: Pens - 6, Lightning - 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
He´s been disappointing in 80% of the games this year. Not only against us. It´s not easy to dominate in this league but something is clearly missing there since that injury.

Or since St. Louis was traded. 55 points in 60 games isn't particularly good for the "3rd best forward in the NHL."

70% of Stamkos' ice time at even strength from his 2nd season to last year was with St. Louis. Obviously that percentage is now zero.

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008
Crosby had nearly 20 minutes, so I'm not really buying that.

And he may see limited minutes tomorrow night...

People on this board are way too obsessed with ice time numbers, especially with certain favourite pet players. No need to run both Geno and Crosby hard throughout the game today.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
@Gordie: Despres was comfortably 3rd on TOI before the Killorn goal.

Bro, you are trying to reason with a poster that has an agenda and used +/- to tell you Despres was at fault for two goals, when anyone with common hockey sense knew it was Crosby and Rust who blew their assignments.

Kris Letang +5
Simon Despres +8

Despres is better than Letang. There it is.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
@Gordie: Despres was comfortably 3rd on TOI before the Killorn goal.

Until he screwed up? Do you think that fills Johnston & Agnew with confidence in him going forward ?? Scuderi (Message Board Whipping Boy) gets more TOI then Despres does from game to game. I say once Martin gets back both Despres and Bortuzzo both get far less TOI because the coaching staff feels they just can't depend on them.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Bro, you are trying to reason with a poster that has an agenda and used +/- to tell you Despres was at fault for two goals, when anyone with common hockey sense knew it was Crosby and Rust who blew their assignments.

Kris Letang +5
Simon Despres +8

Despres is better than Letang. There it is.

Agenda=Simon Despres fan club ;)

Michael8771*

Agenda=Simon Despres fan club ;)
You have a point with that. It seems some here are so preoccupied with Despres, they forget the totality of the situation and that it's a team sport.

Personally, I think he's had a very good season to this point. But no question some really seem singly focused on him.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
it's extremely hard to be a top player in this league. The deck is stacked against you:

1) the league doesn't give a ****. You can get hooked, slashed, jet skied. They don't care. Cross checked to the neck? Speared in the nuts? Good clean hockey.

2) players are better, overall, now than they were 20 years ago

3) teams prepare more

4) goalies are better

There's not a lot of time and space for even the best players. The rules work against them, and the opposing team does everything they can to shut them down. It'll be interesting, after the Toews and Kane deals kick in, if we move to a point in time where teams think about trading their top-tier stars in an effort to create 3 "good" lines instead of 1 great line.

Basically.

If Tyler Johnson gets nominated for a trophy (any trophy) there will be no confusing whether he's playing better than Stamkos going forward. He ain't treated the same. Right now TJ is a good, hard working kid. The second he's a gate attraction (if ever) in the league's eyes, he's done.

Hockey is the exact opposite of basketball when it comes to infractions against a "cash cow." NHL is too worried about how Gregory Campbell's gonna stop Stamkos and not worried enough about how they're going to make sure Stammer can do his job.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Gordie is obviously trolling or getting over the board, but I just don´t understand why some people here can´t just accept the fact that Despres is a solid 2nd pair D RIGHT NOW. It´s no reason to take that as a bad thing when someone says that.

Guy has made ONE HELL OF A PROGRESS this year going from a 6th-7th D under Pejorative Slured Bylsma to being a very solid young 2nd pair D now. It´s a great thing, it really is. Enjoy that, folks.

I can see occasional complaining when he´s benched unwarrantedly or when he´s getting less IT than Scuderi. I completely understand that and I´m on the same boat there, actually. But let´s not get further than there. Hopefully I clarified my stance here.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Looks like the Pens still own the Bolts despite that one fluky loss with about 13 guys out of the lineup.

Malkin was in beast mode. Bennett is damn good when healthy.

zero8771

Jun 15, 2012
You guys are crazy. Great game by this group of pens. On the eve of a big trade. And all you guys talk about is benching and people's ice time. Come on. Its a team sport. And MJ has his reasons. So bizarre to even care...

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Gordie is obviously trolling or getting over the board, but I just don´t understand why some people here can´t just accept the fact that Despres is a solid 2nd pair D RIGHT NOW. It´s no reason to take that as a bad thing when someone says that.

Guy has made ONE HELL OF A PROGRESS this year going from a 6th-7th D under Pejorative Slured Bylsma to being a very solid young 2nd pair D now. It´s a great thing, it really is. Enjoy that, folks.

I can see occasional complaining when he´s benched unwarrantedly or when he´s getting less IT than Scuderi. I completely understand that and I´m on the same boat there, actually. But let´s not get further than there. Hopefully I clarified my stance here.

Someone had to replace CrozJawz

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I still think we've gotta make one more trade for a stud, top-six winger.

Target ROR, E. Kane, JVR. Those kinds of guys. If they cost you Letang or Maatta, so be it. They're worth fixing the issue once and for all.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
You guys are crazy. Great game by this group of pens. On the eve of a big trade. And all you guys talk about is benching and people's ice time. Come on. Its a team sport. And MJ has his reasons. So bizarre to even care...

I agree, but Sutter getting 4 more minutes than Malkin is honestly unacceptable. He's the 2nd best player in the world, that shouldn't happen.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

Target ROR, E. Kane, JVR. Those kinds of guys. If they cost you Letang or Maatta, so be it. They're worth fixing the issue once and for all.
Remember that JR´s quote? (Paraphrasing) "I was planning to bring 1-2 wingers before Dupuis´s injury. You can do the maths now." Yeah, he´s not done yet. Great start, though.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Sutter got about a 1:25 more than Malkin at ES. The big difference in their minutes was because Sutter had to play so much PK time. 3:52 on the PK for him tonight.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
My guess is Stewart or Jagr will be our next acquisition, which I'd be perfectly happy with.

Those expecting a stud are gonna be let down, imo.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Those players are all worth Maatta/Letang, but I'd like to see what we currently have after getting Perron before we make such a drastic trade. We might only need someone like Tlusty. Sure, that's not nearly as exciting, but I'm not so sure we could replace Letang this season, and trading Maatta could be a huge mistake. I have faith in JR to make the right deal. ROR seems to be the most attainable, and I don't think we'd have to part with Maatta or Letang to get him due to the uncertainty of retaining him. Granted, he'd still be expensive.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Playing Geno more would have meant playing Rust and Ebbett playing more. On no planet where hockey is played should those two be on for 20 minutes.

Add the fact that they had to kill all kinds of penalties, had a relatively safe multi goal lead for most of the game AND they play again tomorrow, I'm ok with Geno's ice time.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Playing Geno more would have meant playing Rust and Ebbett playing more. On no planet where hockey is played should those two be on for 20 minutes.

Add the fact that they had to kill all kinds of penalties, had a relatively safe multi goal lead for most of the game AND they play again tomorrow, I'm ok with Geno's ice time.
Exactly. He could play 1-2 additional shifts on Crosby´s line instead of Spaling, but that´s really it. Let´s see what happens tomorrow with Perron in the lineup.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just got home and wanted to chat about the game a bit...

Letang: Wow.. great game. There was one specific moment that I want to touch on. The one where Tyler Johnson was full speed and Letang was caught in a pivot. Letang just turned on his after burners and matched the pace. I bet only a handful of defenders could have made a play there to keep d-side positioning. 9/10 times that play is going for a breakaway. Great game by Tangers

Sid/Geno: Sid was his old self tonight and looks insane w/ Downie. Downie is a guy that needs to be with Sid. He cycles well and can protect him while he's out there by doing crazy ****. Geno on the other hand just went into Geno mode. Such a fun battle between him and Hedman tonight. I could watch those shifts over and over because it was playoff hockey and they were at one another's throats. Good stuff to watch.

Sutter/Beau/Kunitz: Man that line is good. Kunitz even looks good on it. Beau and Sutter are just meant for one another. Terrific work out there.

Props to the birthday boy for getting a goal tonight, too.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Johnston didn't really say where Perron was going to be playing. Although he did make a good point that I forgot about; Agnew has coached Perron in St. Louis

He'd better be playing with Sid. Perfect complement IMO for Sid and Horny. Best playoff caliber line for Sid since 2008. Downie at RW until Horny returns.

I doubt there's a monster acquisition. If I had to guess Martin gets flipped, there's a decent package or it's a rental. Tlustly or someone else from a seller. Downie looked surprisingly good with Crosby so him keeping that up and what Comeau is like when he gets back make things interesting, and what Kunitz does going forward and Bennett's health. There's a lot of unknowns right now, damn.

JR has been a busy bee this season. Make the the photoshop, minions.

Perron basically 'assumes' Dupuis' cap space, meaning there's space for a 3.5M acquisition prorated at the deadline. Add in Spaling or flip a Martin, and there's plenty of cap space to do it. Plus, JR still has a young defenseman he could move.

If JR wants to make a monster deal, then he's got the cap space and assets to do it.

Perron for a first and an AHL'r is a game changer in my eyes. This team has the assets to make a legit run at a really great addition that could put them over the top. I was planning for two separate additions with more going out or having to bargin basement shop for one of the guys...

I'm with you. Total game changer.

I feel like if Malkin can could carry Fedatenko & Talbot to a cup he can do the same for Comeau & Downie. I know it's not ideal but if we can't get another player it lets the first line be great and the 3rd be a legit scoring threat.

For as big a Geno homer as I am, there's a little revisionist history in there.

1. The Pens faced the three weakest defensive teams in the East.

2. In the SCF, there was no healthy Datsyuk. If the Wings second line had been Franzen-Datsyuk-Hossa, then those three would've eaten Feds-Malkin-Talbot for lunch every bit as much as Zetterberg and Lidstrom feasted on Sid and his 'scoring line wingers'.

As I've said elsewhere, this is why I'm so stoked about Perron. Perron-Sid-Horny is a line designed to help Sid tilt the ice against anyone and not just the easier matchups. I'd hope JR has the same planned for Geno with his next move.

IMO, if that next move is a biggie, then it's a total game changer in the East.

Yep pretty much how I saw it. Sutter was supposed to shut down Johnson's line and he did, still not sure why he gets the best wingers though.

Actually, he didn't, which is why he was a -2. The Pens just scored more.

tomorrow will be interesting, because neither Spaling - Crosby - Downie nor Ebbett - Malkin - Rust are good top-6 lines. Where does Perron go? My guess would be Perron - Malkin - Rust/Ebbett and they leave Sid's line the same.

It should be Perron-Sid-Downie, until Horny returns with him replacing Downie and then Downie sliding to L2.

I actually think Ebbett and Rust, as a duo, meshed with Malkin, and the size issue won't matter as much against Montreal.

Of course, as this would be Spaling to L4, we know we can't have that, because it's not about what's best for Sid or Geno when it comes to Spaling's role on the team any more than it is when it comes to say, Sutter.

Exactly. He could play 1-2 additional shifts on Crosby´s line instead of Spaling, but that´s really it. Let´s see what happens tomorrow with Perron in the lineup.

My concern was not one game. Happens. And, MTL's point is a good one. However, it should be one of the first points of 'Coaching the Penguins 101' to know that when Malkin is going-- and you had to be an idiot not to see that-- you feed the beast, you don't limit his minutes. Again, that's a general 'something to watch out for' statement as opposed to specifically saying 'ZOMG I can't believe this bull****'.

I still think JR's got a monster move up his sleeves for a winger for Malkin. Someone of a level that, considering the Pens first and third lines when healthy, creates a matchup nightmare for anyone in hockey.

I can say this: With Perron and Horny, the gap between Sid and his peers will be larger for the first time since 2008 than the gap between their respective linemates. If I can say this same thing about Geno going into the playoffs-- and I can say that against any possible opponent-- then this team will be best positioned to win a cup since 2008. And, yes, I know, the Pens lost in 2008 and won in 2009, but IMO that was as much about opponents in the East and Geno's and Datsyuk's respective health as it was about how the team was 'positioned' entering the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad