Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Devils 3 (OT) - ColePens Calls for Sid with the Game Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We gave up three goals and too many quality scoring chances. If this is them playing well then we're in even more trouble than I thought.

giphy.gif

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
That can't be stated enough.

Home ice is almost meaningless in the playoffs. Yeah, I know, the Pens have looked much better at home this year, but I still am debating if that is more them sandbagging it for much of the year.

A little over 4 percent 'advantage' at home in the playoffs. A little over 4 more wins per 100 games played.

I care more about the Pens remaining healthy and flipping that switch when it counts.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Home ice is almost meaningless in the playoffs. Yeah, I know, the Pens have looked much better at home this year, but I still am debating if that is more them sandbagging it for much of the year.

A little over 4 percent 'advantage' at home in the playoffs. A little over 4 more wins per 100 games played.

I care more about the Pens remaining healthy and flipping that switch when it counts.

I hear what you're saying. But man, the disparity between the team at home vs on the road, I think it's a big deal for the team to have home ice for at least one series.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I hear what you're saying. But man, the disparity between the team at home vs on the road, I think it's a big deal for the team to have home ice for at least one series.

MAY 10, 2017 AT 4:16 PM
A Home Playoff Game Is A Big Advantage — Unless You Play Hockey

It’s good to be at home in the NBA and NFL. In the NHL and MLB? Not so much.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-home-playoff-game-is-a-big-advantage-unless-you-play-hockey/

That one extra home game is not a big deal. I would not choose to not have home ice, 4 percent is 4 percent, but I am not going to make it a priority. The Pens pretty much are in now, stay healthy.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Better if you bring some common sense. No offense but if you think our performance tonight defensively is satisfactory then you clearly are setting the bar exceedingly low.

Generally they were good. The goals came from some bad errors. The defensive structure in the D zone was good. They weren’t getting a lot of quality chances and were kept wide most of the night.

We can be better sure but if you are looking for perfection you’ll never be happy because it won’t happen. The 2016 Cup is as close as you’ll get and we still had bad turnovers but we could outscore those errors more often than not.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Why is everyone except me and Ryder comfortable with the defense? I don't get it. Tribalism? What is it? They've looked average (at best) since the deadline!

At least half of the issue with the defense is the forwards not supporting smartly. And getting beaten to pucks all the time. I am pinning hopes on that switch flipping when the playoffs begin.

That is one reason why I am at least not going to panic.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why is everyone except me and Ryder comfortable with the defense? I don't get it. Tribalism? What is it? They've looked average (at best) since the deadline!
I wish they looked average, they've been god awful since then.

60 goals against in 16 games.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
there's a difference between comfortable and thinks we can win regardless. We are averaging 3 goals against a game. That isn't ideal certainly. But we are also averaging 3.3 goals for per game. You can win games no matter how many goals you get scored against you as long as you score one more than that.

Either way, I expect the forwards and goaltending to improve. And when they do, the defense will improve with it. The forwards and goaltending are just as responsible for our poor GA/G as the defenders.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Well I thought it was good tonight and I agree it’s been bad as a team but it’s more an effort thing that I see and probably not how it will be in the playoffs. That’s why I’m not worried at all when it comes to that. Same stuff happened last season towards the end.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I wish they looked average, they've been god awful since then.

60 goals against in 16 games.

Do you believe that the Pens will give up almost 4 goals a game in the playoffs?

Do you believe what we see on the ice, with the Pens getting beaten to pucks and getting penned in their own zone for long stretches will continue into the playoffs?

Do you believe that the Pens are giving all that they have on the ice right now?

If you do believe all of the above then yes there is reason for concern.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Generally they were good. The goals came from some bad errors. The defensive structure in the D zone was good. They weren’t getting a lot of quality chances and were kept wide most of the night.

We can be better sure but if you are looking for perfection you’ll never be happy because it won’t happen. The 2016 Cup is as close as you’ll get and we still had bad turnovers but we could outscore those errors more often than not.
We might get away with outscoring some opponents, but not all. Boston wouldn't be a team we can get away with this sort of thing. Washington and TB might not be either. This PK will cost us big time if we don't remedy these matters soon.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Do you believe that the Pens will give up almost 4 goals a game in the playoffs?

Do you believe what we see on the ice, with the Pens getting beaten to pucks and getting penned in their own zone for long stretches will continue into the playoffs?

Do you believe that the Pens are giving all that they have on the ice right now?

If you do believe all of the above then yes there is reason for concern.
If they give up three goals per game they're in trouble and as we're currently playing that would be a big improvement as to the rate we're giving up recently. So yeah, big concerns abound.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I certainly hope it all improves. I don't want to rely on the PP to win games in the postseason. The fact that we're less than two weeks away from the postseason and those are the same problems we've had the majority of the season makes me pretty nervous.

I hope they flip that switch.

Big win tonight, regardless of all this.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
We might get away with outscoring some opponents, but not all. Boston wouldn't be a team we can get away with this sort of thing. Washington and TB might not be either. This PK will cost us big time if we don't remedy these matters soon.

PK was worse towards the end of last season it changed once the playoffs started. No ones blocking shots lately or really putting their body’s on the line. They don’t need too since we are still on track for #2 in the Metro.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
At least half of the issue with the defense is the forwards not supporting smartly. And getting beaten to pucks all the time. I am pinning hopes on that switch flipping when the playoffs begin.

That is one reason why I am at least not going to panic.

Yeah, the defense isn’t perfect but when you consistently have 1-3 forwards refusing to help defensively while they do stupid shit with the puck, and you have defensemen pinching. It’s going to be ugly and it’s going to make the D look worse. Unless everyone has forgotten how, they’re capable of a much better team defense. I just wish they’d see that Murray has been struggling and try to shelter him.

It also is what it is at this point and I’ve mellowed out of constant freak outs.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sid having a relatively poor season still disgusting in ways nobody else has been or can be. Still a few games left though, it’d be nice for him to get to 90 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad