Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Devils 3 (OT) - ColePens Calls for Sid with the Game Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
1. Malkin would look better away from Kessel. Anyone would right now.

2. After the first, Malkin's only turnovers came when he was aggressively challenging defenders. If that's a problem for you, then I don't know what to say. If you want to blame him for not being able to play short handed at even strength, then that's your prerogative, but as the person who was questioning HGH 3 weeks ago, I liked the aggressiveness in his game after the 1st . . . challenging defenders, looking to make his shot, hitting guys, moving his feet (even on the PP, where nobody on the Pens moves their feet), taking away pucks. Those are the things he was doing in January and February.

3. Cite Geno's SPECIFIC turnover after the 1st period. Cite the idiotic play. The SPECIFIC one. You gonna question him for the 2 on 1, when Hags made an area pass for him and Kessel skated across the ice to it? Or is there another one? Just one.

Him and Kessel bumped into each other several times that game trying to create offense. I don't know why. I've seen that at mite hockey, but it's rare to see it in an NHL game. Phil/Geno had at least two times I can remember where they did that. One led to a goal. I don't mind Geno being aggressive. I mainly hate him and Phil as a combo because right now when they try to create offense and there's a turnover it's always dangerous. Hagelin can only do so much.

Geno lately looks tired to me. A lot of his 1v1 tries on defenders aren't working. I don't hate him trying it because he can pull it off, but he needs to be more successful with it or maybe play more conservatively when his legs aren't there.

As for Phil, he's just a disaster. Forcing plays on the PP and at even strength, losing every battle, throwing the puck away like a grenade when contact is near. To a degree you always expect Phil to shy away from battles. It's not his game, and I don't mind that. But when he's being bad with the puck on his stick too, then we have problems. If Phil isn't gonna win battles he absolutely cannot be a liability with the puck on his stick like he is right now.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Jake-Sid-Simon
HGR
ZAR-Brass-Phil
Sheary-Sheahan-Horny*

* Sid centers Sheary-Horny a few shifts

I know it won't happen, but wouldn't it be nice?

This is the one year I really don’t have a definitive opinion on the right line up. Lots of good options but nothing “perfect”. I have no clue what Sully will do. Whatever it is if we are winning it’ll stay, until we lose.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
this may have been one of the best games Letang played this year, still a few WTF moments but he was skating well and looked good with Dumo out there...6 and 22 may be the scariest d-pairing in the league

Sid's line was really good, third line good,

I s... on Phil all game long and have been doing that for now a good 4 weeks, so thats about it, whatever line he is on is doomed to suck, unless both C and LW are really really hustling out there like crazy...

Don't get hate for Geno tonight, trust me I watch his every move every blink, he had a great jump tonight, he was OK, had 4 glorious chances...no worries about Geno's form, I would rather see anyone on that RW that can skate and forecheck

Murray looked really good except that five hole that was weak...

Good call on Letang. He still was a lot better, pre and post goal shin sniping notwithstanding.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Jake-Sid-Simon
HGR
ZAR-Brass-Phil
Sheary-Sheahan-Horny*

* Sid centers Sheary-Horny a few shifts

I know it won't happen, but wouldn't it be nice?
it would be awesome, however Rust is not going off of that first line this year, and if Simon could find a little bit of magic that would be bonus

Reactions: KIRK

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I actually thought the Pens played a better game against NJ last week.

Tonight's game was about as even as you can get.

Glad to see the Pens find a way to get the extra point in OT.

I'm getting sick of Errey talking up Murray after every little save, somebody must be telling him to do that, he can't be doing that on his own.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Florida loses in OT. If the Panthers win out, the best they can do is 98 points. The Pens are at 94.

The Panthers also play the Bruins 3 more times.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
it would be awesome, however Rust is not going off of that first line this year, and if Simon could find a little bit of magic that would be bonus

And here's your problem.

To make the bottom six work, you NEED a Sheary-Horny combo.

But, that means HMK, and that means trusting Phil to 100% get his **** together, because he was poison all game. Like you, I saw Geno pick it up after the first, attacking, working well again with Hags . . . and Phil just kept ******* things up again and again.

You know, I'd almost rather go Hags-Geno with SIMON.

Keep tonight's Sheahan line. Play ZAR with Brass-Phil.

OR, go Sheary-Brass-Horny and ZAR-Sheahan-Phil

Don't think of it as lines. Think of it as ROLLING 4 lines coming in waves. When you shorten the bench, you can mix it up. A random shift with Kessel for Geno-Hags is good. A game? Not so much . . .

Reactions: vodeni

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
and they have Boston 3 times who may really want top of the east
CBJ is about to jump over PHL and be 3rd metro team. 1 pt behind Penguins with equal games played.
That home ice is to die for... Penguins can not lay off.

Reactions: ncm7772

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
NUoi9T5.jpg

Prime for photoshopping.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
And here's your problem.

To make the bottom six work, you NEED a Sheary-Horny combo.

But, that means HMK, and that means trusting Phil to 100% get his **** together, because he was poison all game. Like you, I saw Geno pick it up after the first, attacking, working well again with Hags . . . and Phil just kept ******* things up again and again.

You know, I'd almost rather go Hags-Geno with SIMON.

Keep tonight's Sheahan line. Play ZAR with Brass-Phil.

OR, go Sheary-Brass-Horny and ZAR-Sheahan-Phil

Don't think of it as lines. Think of it as ROLLING 4 lines coming in waves. When you shorten the bench, you can mix it up. A random shift with Kessel for Geno-Hags is good. A game? Not so much . . .

Thing is NotKuhnackl-Sheahan-Jooris/Horny/Rust is EASILY doable as long as you put Kuhn in the press box for a Simon or ZAR.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad