Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Devils 3 (OT) - ColePens Calls for Sid with the Game Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well if we're going on merit, Kessel deserves 4th line duty lately. I'm sure he's hurt and he should be shut down for awhile.
But that's not going to happen and Kessel has to go somewhere, so....

We are all frustrated. I'm sure Sully is insanely frustrated. But Kessel is that important to our team that we have to let him play through this. He's really really really bad right now, but if this team is going to go anywhere - he will have to be a big part.

Reactions: BHD and KIRK

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Except half of the top 10 scorers in the young man's game are 30 or over.

None of them are gonna win the scoring title though. And to my knowledge it's only been done by a 30 or older player twice and those two guys were Gretzky and Lemieux.

You can still be an elite point producer after 30 and Sid is, but it's unrealistic to expect much more than what we're getting this year imo.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
None of them are gonna win the scoring title though. And to my knowledge it's only been done by a 30 or older player twice and those two guys were Gretzky and Lemieux.

You can still be an elite point producer after 30 and Sid is, but it's unrealistic to expect much more than what we're getting this year imo.
Also, almost twice as many of the teams that are in a playoff position are in the bottom half of the league when it comes to age.

Reactions: Pancakes

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sid's very capable of winning the Art Ross next season. This season was weird, he basically took a third of the campaign and threw it in the dumpster. I don't know if he was hurt, pacing himself for the potential to go deep in the playoffs again, or was just struggling, but he was awful. The fact that he's still a PPG player having that huge a slump is a testament to his ability. If JR goes out and finds Sid a winger to go with the Sid-Jake combo, I think that'll go a long way toward putting Sid in the best possible position to win another scoring title. Like the guy or not, I can't help but imagine the sort of damage a line of Sid, Jake and E. Kane would've done. Find a guy of that caliber and I think Sid's in as good a position as anyone to compete for the Art Ross.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If Crosby cared and tried all year and had Guentzel on his wing, he would certainly be right with McDavid. He clearly was saving it all year, as you can see that he clearly has turnd it up a notch going into the playoffs. He's been an animal of late. Looking great.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Sid's very capable of winning the Art Ross next season. This season was weird, he basically took a third of the campaign and threw it in the dumpster. I don't know if he was hurt, pacing himself for the potential to go deep in the playoffs again, or was just struggling, but he was awful. The fact that he's still a PPG player having that huge a slump is a testament to his ability. If JR goes out and finds Sid a winger to go with the Sid-Jake combo, I think that'll go a long way toward putting Sid in the best possible position to win another scoring title. Like the guy or not, I can't help but imagine the sort of damage a line of Sid, Jake and E. Kane would've done. Find a guy of that caliber and I think Sid's in as good a position as anyone to compete for the Art Ross.

It's gonna be hard. History is against him winning another one.

We do have a unique situation in having Malkin/Kessel to play with him on the PP. Maybe that will be enough if he can do better at even strength next year.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think their issue especially in today’s game is you can only reinvent yourself so much. A player like Malkin will always be dominate because he uses his size which can’t be figured out.

A team can watch enough tape on Crosby at this point to pick up nearly all of his traits. He can only reinvent himself so much.

That being said with no real line mates clicking and a terrible season he is top ten. I could see him hitting a hot streak and doing it if McDavid gets injured in a year.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
It's gonna be hard. History is against him winning another one.

We do have a unique situation in having Malkin/Kessel to play with him on the PP. Maybe that will be enough if he can do better at even strength next year.
You had a 29 year old Crosby winning the Richard trophy last year. A 30 year old Ovechkin the year before. Yeah you have a lot of young talent, but a lot of the late 20's and 30 year olds aren't letting up. Crosby is on pace to put up the same amount of numbers he has the last couple of years.

The thing is a lot of that young talent is really good young talent.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You had a 29 year old Crosby winning the Richard trophy last year. A 30 year old Ovechkin the year before. Yeah you have a lot of young talent, but a lot of the late 20's and 30 year olds aren't letting up. Crosby is on pace to put up the same amount of numbers he has the last couple of years.

The thing is a lot of that young talent is really good young talent.

The issue is McDavid and the Oilers in general will likely continue to improve.

Crosby’s best year was 2011. McDavid will be hitting that as Sid starts hitting his mid 30s.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
The issue is McDavid and the Oilers in general will likely continue to improve.

Crosby’s best year was 2011. McDavid will be hitting that as Sid starts hitting his mid 30s.
The only reason I would argue 2006-2007 was his best season is that he kept up almost the same pace (120 points in 79 games) as 2006, but over an almost full season. And that was as a 19 year old!

Last edited:

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014

Daniel Sedin did it at 30 in 2011 and St Louis as a freaking 37 year old in 2013. That's just plain ridiculous. I have no idea how. At 37 I couldn't even put up 10 goals in my beer league.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Great goal by Crosby but Hornqvist won us that game.

That pass to Sheary was perfect...if he could make those types of plays consistently hed be an 8mil yr player.

Having him locked up for another 5 years, still isnt talked about enough.

Reactions: RizzleMcRib
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad