Post-Game Talk: Pens 4, Devils 3 (OT) - ColePens Calls for Sid with the Game Winner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sheahan looks noticeably better when Brassard is not around. Probably because he gets to play with real linemates rather than 4th liners.

Hopefully Riley can play well once we're healthy. We need that 4th line. You don't win Cups without 4 lines.

If only we weren't legally obligated to ice Kuhnhackl and Rowney/Jooris every single game haha.

Reactions: Andy99 and Pancakes

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I feel he plays a similar game but I guess everyone looks better if your linemates score goals.

I don't think he changes his game it's just when he has real linemates his playmaking leads to better chances. He's a pretty good passer.

When he dishes those soft passes to Kuhnhackl it just leads to a cycle....at best.

Reactions: Badfish87

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens picked it up a bit and Sid is playing hard most of the time. But the Devils have no real D man who can hurt you and after Hall, just a bunch of system guys who are well coached and play hard. The rookie has very good instincts and will get better, Sheahan played well and Malkin and Kessel simply stink together. Nice to see some emotion from the Pens.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I can't agree with that. Him and Kessel were terrible tonight. Really bad. Turnovers, looked tired, etc.

I think Malkin would look better away from Kessel. I don't know that Kessel will look better away from Malkin right now though. Phil is either battling an injury or just slumping or both. He's been real bad lately.

The positives for me tonight are Sid keeps playing well, Murray is looking better, and overall the team looked more committed defensively tonight. Yes there were still some idiotic turnovers but I also saw a lot of plays where guys opted to make the safe play rather than the fancy one which is not something we've seen recently.

Case in point: Rust gets the puck in the corner in the 3rd with 10-15 seconds left. Rather than spinning it to the point like I could tell he wanted to he opted to eat the puck instead and take the OT point. That's smart. That's playoff hockey.

1. Malkin would look better away from Kessel. Anyone would right now.

2. After the first, Malkin's only turnovers came when he was aggressively challenging defenders. If that's a problem for you, then I don't know what to say. If you want to blame him for not being able to play short handed at even strength, then that's your prerogative, but as the person who was questioning HGH 3 weeks ago, I liked the aggressiveness in his game after the 1st . . . challenging defenders, looking to make his shot, hitting guys, moving his feet (even on the PP, where nobody on the Pens moves their feet), taking away pucks. Those are the things he was doing in January and February.

3. Cite Geno's SPECIFIC turnover after the 1st period. Cite the idiotic play. The SPECIFIC one. You gonna question him for the 2 on 1, when Hags made an area pass for him and Kessel skated across the ice to it? Or is there another one? Just one.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If only we weren't legally obligated to ice Kuhnhackl and Rowney/Jooris every single game haha.

I'd be completely fine if Jooris was playing, to be honest. I doubt Kuhnhackl plays when everyone is healthy, and if Jooris is playing over Rowney (since they used a regular call-up on him, it wouldn't surprise me if that ended up happening), I wouldn't have a problem. Just have Sheary as the LW and you're fine.

Reactions: ncm7772

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pens picked it up a bit and Sid is playing hard most of the time. But the Devils have no real D man who can hurt you and after Hall, just a bunch of system guys who are well coached and play hard. The rookie has very good instincts and will get better, Sheahan played well and Malkin and Kessel simply stink together. Nice to see some emotion from the Pens.

Honest question: Who does NOT stink with Kessel right now?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think he changes his game it's just when he has real linemates his playmaking leads to better chances. He's a pretty good passer.

When he dishes those soft passes to Kuhnhackl it just leads to a cycle....at best.

Yeah if Kuhnhackl is playing there they need a shooter on that line for sure. We don’t have a perfect forward line up but we do have a ton of options though which is good.

I can’t imagine when our round 1 opponent is determined that they’ll have a clue of what our lines will be. That’s a bonus.

Reactions: Pancakes

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Biggest win of the season. Was absolutely massive. We lose this in regulation and it´s trouble. What a difference it makes looking at the standings. Sid is killing it now. In right time. He is officially in playoffs mode now. Not worried about Geno at all, despite some struggles lately. He was OK tonight. It´s Phil that is a question mark now. We all know he has always done it in playoffs. But right now it´s weird. Playing his worst hockey of the season. BY FAR. It´s unwatchable. I´m not counting him out, but I´m worried.

I can't imagine he's hurt. I mean, one would think it has to be something like that, but if it is, then he shouldn't be playing 18 minutes a night.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd be completely fine if Jooris was playing, to be honest. I doubt Kuhnhackl plays when everyone is healthy, and if Jooris is playing over Rowney (since they used a regular call-up on him, it wouldn't surprise me if that ended up happening), I wouldn't have a problem. Just have Sheary as the LW and you're fine.

Jake-Sid-Simon
HGR
ZAR-Brass-Phil
Sheary-Sheahan-Horny*

* Sid centers Sheary-Horny a few shifts

I know it won't happen, but wouldn't it be nice?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It also makes one wonder why they don't try Sheary-Sheahan-Hornqvist when we have a full roster.

Sully can't seem to break his love of Kuhnackl and Rowney before that to make a 4th line like that happen.
They could simply bench Kuhn for Jooris and easily make a Sheary-Sheahan-Jooris line which wouldn't be a terrible line either, imo.

Reactions: ncm7772

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
this may have been one of the best games Letang played this year, still a few WTF moments but he was skating well and looked good with Dumo out there...6 and 22 may be the scariest d-pairing in the league

Sid's line was really good, third line good,

I s... on Phil all game long and have been doing that for now a good 4 weeks, so thats about it, whatever line he is on is doomed to suck, unless both C and LW are really really hustling out there like crazy...

Don't get hate for Geno tonight, trust me I watch his every move every blink, he had a great jump tonight, he was OK, had 4 glorious chances...no worries about Geno's form, I would rather see anyone on that RW that can skate and forecheck

Murray looked really good except that five hole that was weak...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Jake-Sid-Simon
HGR
ZAR-Brass-Phil
Sheary-Sheahan-Horny*

* Sid centers Sheary-Horny a few shifts

I know it won't happen, but wouldn't it be nice?
I'd like to see ZAR with Sid

What would be nice is if our D and PK transform into a half decent group. But I'm not holding my breath.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Yay, Letang wasn't garbage. Instead he handed the baton to Kessel.
What has happened to him in the 2nd half of the season?
He was actually really good early on in the season....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad