WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Per the bolded, which is honestly fair. Without Demko the Canucks should be big underdogs. Silovs, despite playing well against Nashville, is a question mark. He's performed well in part of one playoff series and middling tournament last summer. He's regressed slightly in the AHL and his regular season starts have been fine but shouldn't inspire confidence. The best we can hope for is that he's another in a weirdly long line of surprise playoff hero goalies.

Plus there's a big difference between Nashville's offense and Edmonton's. This will be an incredibly tough test for both goaltending and defense. Forwards will need to be quick on the backcheck as well, which will affect how we transition to offense.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well said. We are probably most closely related to the Hurricanes. Probably not as deep defensively but basically very few fans know how well this team defends. Which is partly why I don't really gey the Tocchet criticism. I think he's a top 3 coach in the league right now - and not just this year but moving forward I think Tocchet will have a job in the NHL for a very long time.
Sure, I like Tocchet a lot but there are certain thing defensive coaches (read: almost every coach in the NHL, depends on degree) need to do to win the big one. And I as a fan am here to hopefully watch Tocchet guide us to a Cup. So he needs to learn this shit and I want to see him learn faster than slower if possible.

He deserves criticism for lack of tactical adjustments in games. Keeping lines together for consistency isn't a thing when they are all underperforming. Not having a dedicated PP coach is a dumb idea.

I'm still good with this being a learning curve for a relatively new NHL head coach, but our window is only so long.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
House $ talk is nonsense.

This team was expected to compete by anyone who actually looked at the roster, the division, and conference without Benning era PTSD. Most of all, the team expects it.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I love that everyone is predicting Oilers to walk away with it. I know that many of the people making those predictions really haven't watched the Canucks play; are enamoured with McDrai; and have heard that Demko is out.

I doubt that the Oilers themselves are underestimating the Canucks, but one can only hope the big smoke being blown up their oily backsides might be having some effect.

I predict Canucks in 7.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m in my late 30s so it’s increasingly difficult to have real friendships. A big part of maintaining relationships as you get older is making an effort to keep in contact even when you have other responsibilities. I have three days a week where I call my various friends and play games. One group is from university, another are more recent work friends, and the longest running time is my friend in Japan.

This is my all-too-serious response to a joke question. ;)

Ha, I feel this.

I've had basically the same friend group for the last 15 or so years and we've mostly all worked together, live close to each other, in theory shouldn't be short on friends.

But COVID happened and a lot of people seemed to get more hermit-y after that and mostly almost all of us have had kids in the last 5 years. And holy hell does having kids make keeping friendships difficult. As far as I can tell, there are basically two schools of parenting :

1) Parents who want to keep living their own lives and feel like the best way to raise happy, worldly children is to have happy, fulfilled parents who drag them on adventures, make dumb mistakes, learn from experience, etc.

2) Parents who literally press pause on their lives and stop everything they used to do to be hugely emotionally invested in their children, prioritize their children above all else, design literally everything they do around their kids and taking them to children-themed events/activities/etc.

We've tried really, really hard to stay in group (1) but probably 75% of our friends have gone hard-out into group (2) and ... they suck now. Good luck every hanging out in any sort of way that isn't designed around children. Good-bye fun banter and fun adventures. Instead it's 'we're going to the petting zoo in the park at 10 am but we have to be back for their 11:30 nap, do you want to join?' and ... no. Most of what we do every day is based around children - like it or not - and I don't want my friend time to be more kid time. You're my friend. Your kids are probably nice but they aren't my friends. And I'm not saying (2) is bad parenting - our kid-centered friends are all great people and great parents - but it seems like a lot of them have really lost themselves. Like, you used to have interests! You used to be a fun unique person! And now ... not so much.

And then on top of that a few of our friends that are actually still themselves and still interesting have mortgaged themselves beyond belief and literally can't afford to do anything, ever.

So in like 5 years we've gone from a circle of like 25 people I could properly grown-up hang out with on any given day to like 4. And man - it's hard as f*** to make new friends after age 35.

So yeah, my poker nights are precious as f***.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His model nailed every first round matchup...? It's just objective data, I think it's weird for Canuck fans to be taking umbrage with basic facts. It's not a "slight" that everyone has Edmonton favored -- it would be kind of insane not to, particularly after the first round and considering the Canucks are without one (but practically, two) of their aces. They were the most common Cup pick for pundits before the season too, this isn't some strange take.

I mean, there's a difference between a model getting something right because it's good model or just because it's hard to get it wrong.

Literally just picking the team with the highest point total in the regular season would have seen you go 7/8 in the first round with the 8th series being the teams with the two closest point totals that was closest to a coin flip. So if some guy from Jamaica who'd never watched a hockey game before came out with a 'model' that was just picking the higher-ranked team ... he'd look fantastic.

No argument that Edmonton should be favoured given Demko's absence and Pettersson's struggles. If both those guys were performing I'd love our odds but without them ... this series is going to be hard.

But when we see glimpses into how Dom's model is built ... it sucks. Anything that tells you that Evan Bouchard and Quinn Hughes are at the same level is total shit, even if it's smart enough to figure out that, like, Connor McDavid makes a team good because he's really good.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Spector over on SN is really pissing me off these last couple of days. First off he goes on and on about the regular season doesn't not mattering then goes on and says the oilers have better goaltending because Skinner had a better regular season than CDS. Playoffs however our guys have been much better

Than just now on SN he again mentions reg season not mattering and the oilers firing on all cylinders while he says we struggled against Nashville and there's no way we hold the oilers in check etcetera etcetera and saying it in just the most arrogant tone.

Nevermind the fact that Nashville was a better offensive team since late Jan than the oilers as well as a better PP we somehow get bo credit from anyone .

Something else that pretty crazy is since the ASG, we were the #1 team in several defensive categories, like expected GA, shit suppressor, high danger chances, slot chances and rush chances.

I really don't see how pundits and even a lot of our fans just think the oilers are on some other level than us with us proving our system is so good we shut down the 9th highest scoring team, 1st since Feb, 3rd best pp in that time as well without our #1.
We are now that team that literally can plug goalies in and not skip a beat. Best defensive team in round 1 and actually better 5on5 overall in round 1 than them.

We are also the 5th highest scoring team in the regular season
Really don't see why people think the way they do.

Game 1 is going to eerily similar to game 1 against these guys.
7-2

Spector is basically the definition of the classic Toxic Edmonton Fan masquerading as a media member.

For basically the entirety of 2008-2013 this guy's Stanley Cup was cheering for the Canucks to fail. Probably the most anti-Canuck media member alive, and just a piece of human garbage.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Spector has sprained both ankles jumping and on and off the Oilers bandwagon this season. Heaven forbid if the Canucks grab an early lead in this series. Spector, who's more of a 'fan' than 'journalist' at times, will go off the deep end again.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Ha, I feel this.

I've had basically the same friend group for the last 15 or so years and we've mostly all worked together, live close to each other, in theory shouldn't be short on friends.

But COVID happened and a lot of people seemed to get more hermit-y after that and mostly almost all of us have had kids in the last 5 years. And holy hell does having kids make keeping friendships difficult. As far as I can tell, there are basically two schools of parenting :

1) Parents who want to keep living their own lives and feel like the best way to raise happy, worldly children is to have happy, fulfilled parents who drag them on adventures, make dumb mistakes, learn from experience, etc.

2) Parents who literally press pause on their lives and stop everything they used to do to be hugely emotionally invested in their children, prioritize their children above all else, design literally everything they do around their kids and taking them to children-themed events/activities/etc.

We've tried really, really hard to stay in group (1) but probably 75% of our friends have gone hard-out into group (2) and ... they suck now. Good luck every hanging out in any sort of way that isn't designed around children. Good-bye fun banter and fun adventures. Instead it's 'we're going to the petting zoo in the park at 10 am but we have to be back for their 11:30 nap, do you want to join?' and ... no. Most of what we do every day is based around children - like it or not - and I don't want my friend time to be more kid time. You're my friend. Your kids are probably nice but they aren't my friends. And I'm not saying (2) is bad parenting - our kid-centered friends are all great people and great parents - but it seems like a lot of them have really lost themselves. Like, you used to have interests! You used to be a fun unique person! And now ... not so much.

And then on top of that a few of our friends that are actually still themselves and still interesting have mortgaged themselves beyond belief and literally can't afford to do anything, ever.

So in like 5 years we've gone from a circle of like 25 people I could properly grown-up hang out with on any given day to like 4. And man - it's hard as f*** to make new friends after age 35.

Quoted for GD truth. Rarely have I heard anyone say it better.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Quoted for GD truth. Rarely have I heard anyone say it better.
Parentcentric vs kidcentric.

Imagine being the latter, with a tiger mom. I get a weekly excel spreadsheet of the kid's schedule.

But putting your kid in hockey (and in the same way ringette) is great for making new friends. Getting certified/Volunteering means you get to know everyone.

Ballet? No. At least not ime.

When the kids are older, take up ballroom dancing. Make tons of friends that way too.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Ha, I feel this.

a lot of people are saying that children are perhaps the deadliest of the sexually transmitted diseases

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010
Ha, I feel this.

You have described the difference in parenting styles of my two siblings to a tee. I am so curious to see the impact it will have on my nieces and nephews socially as they get older; I'm a bit worried about the "group 2" kids.

Reactions: Indiana

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Whales coming after Oil that just doesn't belong.

As a marine ecologist, I REALLY don't like this. This is just creating more fuel for impressionable people on the oil vs pipeline/orca/marine life (Alberta vs BC) battle. I get it's all done for the sake of a rivalry, but it makes me cringe.

And then there are the orcas that have learned to attack boats around Gibraltar.... orca do not need bad publicity.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Spector is basically the definition of the classic Toxic Edmonton Fan masquerading as a media member.

For basically the entirety of 2008-2013 this guy's Stanley Cup was cheering for the Canucks to fail. Probably the most anti-Canuck media member alive, and just a piece of human garbage.
What's weird is when he goes on Halford and Brough he sounds kind of... normal. Like able to actually speak somewhat objectively. But almost everything he says in writing or social media seems to be nothing more than acting as a lobbyist.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Spector over on SN is really pissing me off these last couple of days. First off he goes on and on about the regular season doesn't not mattering then goes on and says the oilers have better goaltending because Skinner had a better regular season than CDS. Playoffs however our guys have been much better

Than just now on SN he again mentions reg season not mattering and the oilers firing on all cylinders while he says we struggled against Nashville and there's no way we hold the oilers in check etcetera etcetera and saying it in just the most arrogant tone.

Nevermind the fact that Nashville was a better offensive team since late Jan than the oilers as well as a better PP we somehow get bo credit from anyone .

Something else that pretty crazy is since the ASG, we were the #1 team in several defensive categories, like expected GA, shit suppressor, high danger chances, slot chances and rush chances.

I really don't see how pundits and even a lot of our fans just think the oilers are on some other level than us with us proving our system is so good we shut down the 9th highest scoring team, 1st since Feb, 3rd best pp in that time as well without our #1.
We are now that team that literally can plug goalies in and not skip a beat. Best defensive team in round 1 and actually better 5on5 overall in round 1 than them.

We are also the 5th highest scoring team in the regular season
Really don't see why people think the way they do.

Game 1 is going to eerily similar to game 1 against these guys.
7-2

You are pissed because the Oilers reporter is picking the Oilers. Why are you listening to Spector in the first place? :D

Realistically though, the Oilers are getting picked because they blew LA out of the water, Meanwhile we struggled mightily against a team who Canuck fans know played hard but didn't offer a heck of a lot in terms of offence or great hockey. Add to that we are playing our third stringer, their experience, and play down the stretch. It's a pretty conclusive non biased prediction.

These guys aren't picking the Oilers to piss off Canuck fans. They are just trying to be correct for their own reputations mostly. We can beat them but they're the clear favorite.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
You are pissed because the Oilers reporter is picking the Oilers. Why are you listening to Spector in the first place? :D

Realistically though, the Oilers are getting picked because they blew LA out of the water, Meanwhile we struggled mightily against a team who Canuck fans know played hard but didn't offer a heck of a lot in terms of offence or great hockey. Add to that we are playing our third stringer, their experience, and play down the stretch. It's a pretty conclusive non biased prediction.

These guys aren't picking the Oilers to piss off Canuck fans. They are just trying to be correct for their own reputations mostly. We can beat them but they're the clear favorite.

Don’t most Oilers fans hate Mark Spector?

Reactions: Nick Lang

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
Why is Winnipeg going 3-0-0 against Colorado in the regular season and losing round 1 all the 'Insiders' talk about with this series yet they all ignore Boston went 4-0-0 against Toronto in the regular season and beat them in Round 1; Confirmation bias?
The goalposts were fitted with wheels to allow for easier movement a long time ago….

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
"Away Game Viewing Parties

If they heard us in Nashville, imagine how loud we can be in Edmonton! Canucks Sports & Entertainment is pleased to announce that the Rogers Away Game Viewing Party will be back for Game 3 of Round 2, Sunday, May 12 at 6:30 p.m. PT. With tickets priced at $20 and proceeds benefiting the Canucks for Kids Fund, these viewing parties have been a huge hit for fans and families looking to experience a home game atmosphere. Visit www.canucks.com/watch to secure your seats. Tickets will go on sale Thursday, May 9. Watch Canucks socials for timing. Premium ticket and suite offers are also now available for special experiences and small groups. Additional away game viewing parties will be announced in the coming days."

Viewing party tickets going up in price to $20 each. Will either be sold later today or tomorrow based on the typo :laugh:

Edit: They fixed it, going on sale on the 9th

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad