Salary Cap: Pens '23-'24 Salary Cap Thread: "But if you don't get the President of the Pittsburgh Penguins on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"

How soon before Letang is back on PP1:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Too bad we don't have any assets and a little capspace. Saw a Kaprizov thread and thought he would be an awesome line driver here. Maybe instead of re-signing Jake (he can't line drive), we get Nylander in FA and let Jake go.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Too bad we don't have any assets and a little capspace. Saw a Kaprizov thread and thought he would be an awesome line driver here. Maybe instead of re-signing Jake (he can't line drive), we get Nylander in FA and let Jake go.
That assumes a UFA wants to come here lol…hard sell at this point

TKalltheTime

KILLER PARTIES, ALMOST KILLED ME!
Jan 5, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
We have seen time and time again this team turned over basically top to bottom over the past 6 years… NOTHING is going to change with this team and franchise until they fire Sullivan and the coaching staff. They just need to sac up, yesterday.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If you suggest firing Sullivan, which I’m open to, you need to suggest a replacement. Because there’s few good ones sitting at home and it’ll most likely be one of the assistants.

Reactions: Josey Wales

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That assumes a UFA wants to come here lol…hard sell at this point
That's true which is why we should not be mad if a player picks elsewhere for much less. We would normally get emotional thinking that player would have easily picked us.

If you suggest firing Sullivan, which I’m open to, you need to suggest a replacement. Because there’s few good ones sitting at home and it’ll most likely be one of the assistants.
BB, Woodcroft. Don't know many else out there to name more. No, not coach Q or Babcock either.

Reactions: Jacob and Andy99

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Whatever the reason is with Perry it can’t be good. Either he’s just done with hockey or something more malfeasant.

That deal is untradable though. He’s not worth 2 million.
Agreed, something doesn't add up. His agent says it's for personal reasons.
GM said Perry and his wife want their privacy but his absence is due to organizational reasons. Seems conflicting on the surface.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
That's true which is why we should not be mad if a player picks elsewhere for much less. We would normally get emotional thinking that player would have easily picked us.

BB, Woodcroft. Don't know many else out there to name more. No, not coach Q or Babcock either.
Soo Hire BBQ Bruce are we going for the Mike Tomlin effect never had a losing regular season record BUT Sucks beyond belief in playoffs ? Woodcroft?? Really The guy who was fired for Oilers being a train wreck ?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Soo Hire BBQ Bruce are we going for the Mike Tomlin effect never had a losing regular season record BUT Sucks beyond belief in playoffs ? Woodcroft?? Really The guy who was fired for Oilers being a train wreck ?
You’re blaming Oilers on Woodcroft??? and who cares if we hire BB, as long as we make the playoffs anything can happen.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Getting Vrana For Acciari would be sick.
I know he's not off to the best start (though he's starting to produce now), but I think Acciari is someone who could be an X-factor if this team actually did make the playoffs. He's one of our only actual physical guys, he's good on the forecheck, and he scores the type of goals you see in the playoffs (garbage stuff around the net).

We've got so many bland, vanilla bottom six players. I'd rather keep the one who actually brings a different kind of element.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He would ride the pine in Pittsburgh too...he is everything Sully hates
Yes, he doesn’t chest snipe and whiff on shots while having sparkling analytics…he only puts the puck in the net…we can’t have that…god forbid

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I know he's not off to the best start (though he's starting to produce now), but I think Acciari is someone who could be an X-factor if this team actually did make the playoffs. He's one of our only actual physical guys, he's good on the forecheck, and he scores the type of goals you see in the playoffs (garbage stuff around the net).

We've got so many bland, vanilla bottom six players. I'd rather keep the one who actually brings a different kind of element.
1701024200179.png

1701024285291.png

I don't see Vrana as a bottom-six calibre player, and I don't see these 2 as being in on the same level.
He gets used there for balance purposes, and also because he gets on coaches' bad sides.
But he's a brilliant producer. Something like what Guentzel does at 5v5 in his career when on the ice.
I think he could do very well with Malkin. He could potentially make Rakell disposable too, at half the cap hit.

He's also, what, like a +3 this year on a bad team? He's fine defensively. +35 in his career. Only had a minus season once.

I'd only focus on the different elements approach if other areas of the game were in order. But they're not. Our team still lacks finishing ability in a big way.
I don't think we have a guy like him anyway. Our shooting sucks. He'd be a breath of fresh air in front of goalies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
View attachment 773616

View attachment 773617

I don't see Vrana as a bottom-six calibre player, and I don't see these 2 as being in on the same level.
He gets used there for balance purposes, and also because he gets on coaches' bad sides.
But he's a brilliant producer. Something like what Guentzel does at 5v5 in his career when on the ice.
I think he could do very well with Malkin. He could potentially make Rakell disposable too, at half the cap hit.

He's also, what, like a +3 this year on a bad team? He's fine defensively. +35 in his career. Only had a minus season once.

I'd only focus on the different elements approach if other areas of the game were in order. But they're not. Our team still lacks finishing ability in a big way.
I don't think we have a guy like him anyway. Our shooting sucks. He'd be a breath of fresh air in front of goalies.
I wasn't comparing Acciari's game to Vrana? I meant Acciari brings something our other current bottom sixers don't.

As far as the swap, we have to always consider the coach. Sullivan is entrenched in who his top six is. So any acquisition is going to play in the bottom six. Vrana's not that. He's a scorer. He's not going to PK, he's not going to play a "safe" game. He's going to be as out of place in the bottom six as Granlund was.

IF Sullivan was willing to abandon his current idea of what the roster should be and actually went with more offensive punch throughout the top 9 and left the "defense only" for the 4th line, then the proposal makes sense. But as the roster is currently constructed and how Sullivan deploys his 4 lines, Vrana doesn't make sense at the expense of Acciari.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
As far as the swap, we have to always consider the coach. Sullivan is entrenched in who his top six is. So any acquisition is going to play in the bottom six. Vrana's not that. He's a scorer. He's not going to PK, he's not going to play a "safe" game. He's going to be as out of place in the bottom six as Granlund was.
Maybe. Depends on when Rakell returns and what our man-games-lost count is in the top-six this year. Gotta account for all the games a winger is moving up in the lineup. What you're talking about only applies to when all 4 wingers are healthy.
And I will give Sully some credit for shuffling things around this year. Keeping GCR together was justified. Rakell got moved down. So I could see Vrana taking his spot fairly easily. The team is quicker to making adjustments this year, now that Dubas is here.

Acciari's doing really well on the PK, but I don't think that alone justifies rejecting that kinda trade. We have other defensively responsible Forwards who can step in. A marginal PK regression for much better 5v5 scoring would be worth it imo. And I could see Vrana making L2 more defensively responsible than with Rakell as well.
Most importantly it could open the door to addressing other needs with a Rakell trade. Funnelling his cap to a good 3C would be nice.
We'll see what the injury situation is later. That may change our needs.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Maybe. Depends on when Rakell returns and what our man-games-lost count is in the top-six this year. Gotta account for all the games a winger is moving up in the lineup. What you're talking about only applies to when all 4 wingers are healthy.
And I will give Sully some credit for shuffling things around this year. Keeping GCR together was justified. Rakell got moved down. So I could see Vrana taking his spot fairly easily. The team is quicker to making adjustments this year, now that Dubas is here.

Acciari's doing really well on the PK, but I don't think that alone justifies rejecting that kinda trade. We have other defensively responsible Forwards who can step in. A marginal PK regression for much better 5v5 scoring would be worth it imo. And I could see Vrana making L2 more defensively responsible than with Rakell as well.
Most importantly it could open the door to addressing other needs with a Rakell trade. Funnelling his cap to a good 3C would be nice.
We'll see what the injury situation is later. That may change our needs.

Is Vrana available? Be still my heart. We should have gotten him last year. He has a substance abuse problem, but so do most of us after watching our powerplay.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy99

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Is Vrana available? Be still my heart. We should have gotten him last year. He has a substance abuse problem, but so do most of us after watching our powerplay.
Speculation still on that. But he's been healthy scratched 3 times, and does have a history of getting put in the doghouse.
At that cap hit and ideal term (for us), I'd be all over it.

I wonder if he could be extracted by sending a heart and soul guy back in exchange. Berube has a weakness for those types.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Speculation still on that. But he's been healthy scratched 3 times, and does have a history of getting put in the doghouse.
At that cap hit and ideal term (for us), I'd be all over it.

I wonder if he could be extracted by sending a heart and soul guy back in exchange. Berube has a weakness for those types.
Let me tell you about one chad ruhwedel......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad