Salary Cap: Pens '23-'24 Salary Cap Thread: "But if you don't get the President of the Pittsburgh Penguins on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"

How soon before Letang is back on PP1:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
This team is way better than it has performed over the last few years.

You're on HFBoards as well on Thanksgiving so I mean.
Good teams don't go on a steady decline for six years. Management has been piss poor, coaching has been piss poor, and ownership has been too scared of lost revenue to rock the boat and now it's too late. Oh well. Still got three Cups out of the era, but the team's determined to be mediocre for half a decade before like a dozen years of rebuild so, enjoy it or don't. :laugh: None of us have a choice beyond that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Good teams don't go on a steady decline for six years. Management has been piss poor, coaching has been piss poor, and ownership has been too scared of lost revenue to rock the boat and now it's too late. Oh well. Still got three Cups out of the era, but the team's determined to be mediocre for half a decade before like a dozen years of rebuild so, enjoy it or don't. :laugh: None of us have a choice beyond that.

Good teams also don’t employee coaching staffs that win nothing for half a decade.

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Maybe there's a move out there to be made involving POJ--might be able to find a younger "change of scenery" middle-6 forward who has stagnated similarly to POJ.

Doubtful.

No GM is going to give up anything of actual value for POJ, not even Jim Rutherford. No team is lacking in weak, undersized defenseless lefthanded defensemen. Not even the Penguins -- if we really need one of those for some reason we've got Ty Smith (who at least can provide decent offense) or Jack Rathbone if we feel the need to be even smaller and even weaker.

The absolute best we can hope for in a POJ trade is another team's version of Drew O'Connor. We already have one of those, and he isn't too good. The more likely return is a 7th round pick.

Calen Addison is a better player than POJ (which isn't saying much), *maybe* better than Ty Smith (though not by a lot, if at all), and look at what Minny got for him -- nothing. Granted he was dumped mainly because the coach hated him, but there's still no viable market for that sort of player.

Those guys are a dime a dozen, and nobody is giving Dubas a diamond-in-the-rough in exchange for garbage.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Sexy friggin bastard

404324359_369613112106808_6286552751985072336_n.jpg

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
He did. He signed everybody Sullivan wanted and managed to find a taker for a lame Petry in order to be able to receive the EK gift that fell into his lap. :laugh:

Rakell's probably not worth much. They're not gonna move Jake because they're dorks. Rust is unmovable. Smith isn't gonna net you anything of note. Petts? I don't know. Doesn't seem like there's really any moves to be made.

He could/should start by firing Sullivan when this team goes into another spiral, but he won't, because Dubas probably f***ing loves Sullivan. Maybe there's a move out there to be made involving POJ--might be able to find a younger "change of scenery" middle-6 forward who has stagnated similarly to POJ. That's probably all this team's got for switching things up.

The team's exactly as mediocre as we all thought it'd be after the dust settled from free agency and the EK trade. Same lame ass coach, same anemic bottom-6, same faces in the top-6 with Smith swapping in for Zucker, which was a wash. /shrug
outside of firing the coach, or some other miracle, I don't see much they can do. with the salary cap, no trade clause, and little in the pipeline our gm's hands are pretty well tied. add to that we are going to lose a 1st round pick this year or next. so with that in mind i would hope to finish as high as posable this year, let them have our pick and then tank going full rebuild. let the players know this and give them a chance to wave their no trade clause's. move as many as you can for picks/ young players.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Weird how the players continue to go to other teams and have success.
Who? Addison just got given away cuz he's Ty Smith. Granlund sucks. Zucker's got 4pts in 12 games. Petry's got as many points as Graves. Kapanen's still an annoyingly streaky 3rd liner with as many points as Eller. Phil's cool but he can't even find a team and didn't play a playoff game for Vegas. Blueger's a dime a dozen. Is ZAR even on a team?

You and I have shit talked McCann for years because he's all flash and no substance when the games matter. Tanev? Meh. Reaves? lol Maybe Sprong? But the team got their best defensive defenseman and Karlsson's current partner for Sprong, so they didn't exactly give him away. Lafferty's a decent 4th liner but eh. /shrug

That "as soon as guys leave, they kill it on other teams!" thing is total bullshit tbh.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Not the player he once was, But would be a different kind of player than they have

I think he would be great just about anywhere in the lineup other than maybe Sid's line. Not sure they would mesh well, but it would be nice to have someone that big playing with him

Anderson with Zohorna and Eller would be cool to see. Big bois

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The best PP recently here was last year's PP2. Zucker, Kapanen, Petry, Carter, Rust/Raks. Actual elite skaters willing to crash bang to win pick battles. Not old farts, except for Carter who could at least still skate. Played a simple game.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
They do it every few years for like a week or two and then put the top unit back together. It's kinda whatever
No, they don't. You are confusing a line being on at the time of a penalty call and they rest and come on during the PP at some point. There hasn't been a set 2 unit PP since the early days.

Egos set the bar.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
No, they don't. You are confusing a line being on at the time of a penalty call and they rest and come on during the PP at some point. There hasn't been a set 2 unit PP since the early days.

Egos set the bar.
No they have done this before for a few games. Maybe not last year but Sully has 100 percent done it before. It usually only lasts for a few games before they go back to status quo

Reactions: Icarium

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The best PP recently here was last year's PP2. Zucker, Kapanen, Petry, Carter, Rust/Raks. Actual elite skaters willing to crash bang to win pick battles. Not old farts, except for Carter who could at least still skate. Played a simple game.
And still wasn't particularly good at putting the puck into the net. It just looked good compared to PP1 depressingly often. PP1 still scored far goals, though.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
And still wasn't particularly good at putting the puck into the net. It just looked good compared to PP1 depressingly often. PP1 still scored far goals, though.

Well yeah, when you start in your opponents zone and get 80 seconds you will do better than having to enter the opponents zone and get 40.

Still, PP2 was notably better probably because no 87/71/59

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
No they have done this before for a few games. Maybe not last year but Sully has 100 percent done it before. It usually only lasts for a few games before they go back to status quo
I don't agree at all. I would remember it being anything more than a trial within a game. It certainly never did or I would have marked that down and talked about it more than bringing it up time and time again of a wasted advantage they threw away for over a decade.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't agree at all. I would remember it being anything more than a trial within a game. It certainly never did or I would have marked that down and talked about it more than bringing it up time and time again of a wasted advantage they threw away for over a decade.

It’s been done. I don’t have the time to look into it, but it has.

Reactions: Pancakes

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I remember it happening a couple years ago but pretty sure it didn't last very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad