Salary Cap: Pens '23-'24 Salary Cap Thread: "But if you don't get the President of the Pittsburgh Penguins on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"

How soon before Letang is back on PP1:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Speculation still on that. But he's been healthy scratched 3 times, and does have a history of getting put in the doghouse.
At that cap hit and ideal term (for us), I'd be all over it.

I wonder if he could be extracted by sending a heart and soul guy back in exchange. Berube has a weakness for those types.

The last thing the pens need is to trade someone with heart and soul. Because 75% of this team has none

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A name that was thrown out by Habs fans in the "Kapanen style winger to Pittsburgh" thread that I really like is Ylonen. He's still on a $775k deal and has 11 goals and 25 points in 66 games in his NHL career so far. He has been used in more defensive assignments over his career as well, he has a career 44.9% offensive zone start% and what looks like decent on-ice results (-0.97% xGF%rel over his career with good defensive results). In terms of point production rate, he's at a 0.85 5v5 goals/60 and 1.88 5v5 points/60, which is really good for a bottom-6 guy.

Something like POJ for Ylonen would be a great move if Dubas could pull it off. Zohorna-Eller-Ylonen looks like a really good 3rd line to me.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
A name that was thrown out by Habs fans in the "Kapanen style winger to Pittsburgh" thread that I really like is Ylonen. He's still on a $775k deal and has 11 goals and 25 points in 66 games in his NHL career so far. He has been used in more defensive assignments over his career as well, he has a career 44.9% offensive zone start% and what looks like decent on-ice results (-0.97% xGF%rel over his career with good defensive results). In terms of point production rate, he's at a 0.85 5v5 goals/60 and 1.88 5v5 points/60, which is really good for a bottom-6 guy.

Something like POJ for Ylonen would be a great move if Dubas could pull it off. Zohorna-Eller-Ylonen looks like a really good 3rd line to me.

meh why do you think he would actually get a chance here.

He wouldnt play over Harkins or Hinnie

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
The last thing the pens need is to trade someone with heart and soul. Because 75% of this team has none
Who were the heart and soul guys on the 2020-21 team, when they won the division?
Maybe only Tanev and Zucker.

So how was the team able to do it?
Simple. They got excellent goaltending. The PP was #4 in the league. The GF/G was 2nd. The goals for above expected was 2nd best as well.

It's a lot easier to play harder when the team's winning. Losing is demoralizing.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Seriously. Why are people suggesting these "buy low, hope for potential" types when a]we need someone proven and b]even if they DID have potential, Sullivan wouldn't give them an actual chance in role that would allow them to reach that potential.
Because we have next to zero cap space, a roster full of NTC/NMC, and very few assets to obtain proven impact players.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
It's ridiculous how much opportunity is given to Nylander considering he's had like 5 shifts in a Pens uniform where he didn't look a step behind and out of place. Dude just gets free reign to play next to Malkin even though it's glaringly obvious he doesn't process the game fast enough to play with a guy of that caliber.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

I don't venture outside of HFPens for various reasons, but did see that thread. And it seemed to be uncharacteristically helpful.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
FYI shutting down any sort of conversation to bitch about Mike Sullivan is a great way to push people away from this website.

The Penguins have no cap space, no notable players in WBS worth a damn and very few tradeable assets. Talking about buy-low guys like Ylonen is completely reasonable to discuss potential additions.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
This team board's fortunes have nothing to do with how people talk about Mike Sullivan and everything to do with how the team performs on the ice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team board's fortunes have nothing to do with how people talk about Mike Sullivan and everything to do with how the team performs on the ice.

Do you seriously think that people won't leave if any discussion turns into "Mike Sullivan sucks"?

I'm not even saying that Mike Sullivan is good, but shutting down a conversation about trades because "Sullivan won't play him anyway!" is just rude.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's ridiculous how much opportunity is given to Nylander considering he's had like 5 shifts in a Pens uniform where he didn't look a step behind and out of place. Dude just gets free reign to play next to Malkin even though it's glaringly obvious he doesn't process the game fast enough to play with a guy of that caliber.
People are very quick to give up on him on this board. Faster than any other Penguin I can remember.
And yeah, ofc we don't have sub 1-mil players capable of playing with Malkin.
That goes for any depth option you wanna list. But someone has to play there while Rakell is hurt, right?

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Wild just fired Evason and are replacing him with John Hynes.

Thanks, Billy G. At least if the Pens fire Sullivan, Hynes won't be available for Dubas to stumble into. Hynes would be even worse than Reirden taking over.

Reactions: Turin

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Do you seriously think that people won't leave if any discussion turns into "Mike Sullivan sucks"?

I'm not even saying that Mike Sullivan is good, but shutting down a conversation about trades because "Sullivan won't play him anyway!" is just rude.
I mean, not wanting to discuss the obvious coaching issues is equally rude.

But more to the point, the only thing that brings people here is the team and the stars winning things. Let's not kid ourselves. We're in the decline, and it's only going to get worse, no matter what we talk about or don't talk about.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, not wanting to discuss the obvious coaching issues is equally rude.

But more to the point, the only thing that brings people here is the team and the stars winning things. Let's not kid ourselves. We're in the decline, and it's only going to get worse, no matter what we talk about or don't talk about.

What

Literally no one is saying you're not allowed to discuss coaching issues. It's just rude to shut down another irrelevant conversation because "who cares, Mike Sullivan sucks!".

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What

Literally no one is saying you're not allowed to discuss coaching issues. It's just rude to shut down another irrelevant conversation because "who cares, Mike Sullivan sucks!".
Do you read another board Emp and are mixing the two up, because lord know's it's happened in this very thread?

Besides, who cares if someone is rude on the internet? I don't see you complaining about how the crazy Eastwood guy is incredibly unpleasant to read, must be that politeness I've heard so much about.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Wild just fired Evason and are replacing him with John Hynes.

Thanks, Billy G. At least if the Pens fire Sullivan, Hynes won't be available for Dubas to stumble into. Hynes would be even worse than Reirden taking over.
WBS be churning out some real mediocre/bad NHL coaches.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Because we have next to zero cap space, a roster full of NTC/NMC, and very few assets to obtain proven impact players.
Okay, see point 2. Why should we assume this "no track record but some potential" player would be given a chance by Sullivan to play in an actual role where he could reach the potential?

Reactions: BusinessGoose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad