LD Anton Silayev - Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod, KHL (2024 draft)

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They need a stud d man. Another soft small forward is so hf. Even with the playoffs on right in front of you. Showing the heavy teams with big strong d cores succeed. You can't even see it.
No offense but are you aware of the hawks current pool/its relative strengths and relative weaknesses?

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Yea Hawks need scoring more than anything. Full stop. Korchinski, Vlasic, Del Mastro, Kaiser already has the potential making for a deep LD for years to come, whereas outside of Bedard no one projects as a top line star

Reactions: wetcoast

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Yea Hawks need scoring more than anything. Full stop. Korchinski, Vlasic, Del Mastro, Kaiser already has the potential making for a deep LD for years to come, whereas outside of Bedard no one projects as a top line star
True.

But at the same time, Silayev has higher upside than any D in the Blackhawks system.

You don't pass on 2 million dollars because you already own a million.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
They might be deep on LD but they're weak on the right side, so Silayev doesn't make sense but Levshunov sure does.

Look at the top end of next years draft, a lot of very good forwards, the defense doesn't look great and the ones that do are almost exclusively left shot D.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Chicago goes Levshunov, not that it helps my Habs any cause then Anaheim or CBJ just pivot to Demidov.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And Levshunov would be adding scoring, just not from the forward position. I do think that CBH needs to take either a Lindstrom or Demidov, but Levshunov would be a pretty good get, also.

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
That's it?
He's 6'7 and has strong skating. Beyond that, I don't see much that's developed. His defensive game is prone to decision making lapses, his puck control has been questionable at times, and the production that made him a top prospect quickly dried up. I've watched aboit a dozen games so far and haven't been super impressed on a consistent level. Even when he went back to the MHL I didn't see much of the top prospect I was promised. Had he not been in Torpedo, I doubt he'd be getting as many KHL looks as he did, and if his MHL play was all to go on, he wouldn't be talked about as a top-five pick in my view.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He's 6'7 and has strong skating. Beyond that, I don't see much that's developed. His defensive game is prone to decision making lapses, his puck control has been questionable at times, and the production that made him a top prospect quickly dried up. Even when he went back to the MHL I didn't see much of the top prospect I was promised. Had he not been in Torpedo, I doubt he'd be getting as many KHL looks as he did, and if his MHL play was all to go on, he wouldn't be talked about as a top-five pick in my view.

In other words, he's a complete project. A lot of things have to go right for Silayev to realize his potential and even then, who can really imagine this guy becoming a future #1 dman with a polished all-around game? He'd have to develop one very soon, because his repertoire is currently a mess. What even are his comparables?

Silayev had a strong (I woud argue fluky) start to the season and some edgy "scouts" put him high on their lists and he's been sitting on these lists ever since, even though he's done almost nothing special.

In my view, some scouts are too obsessed with these "unicorn"-type players. You still need a prospect to demonstrate a real translatable set of skills to convince me of his elite status.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
A player doesn't get ranked #1 by CSB if they only have size going for them and are a complete project. They see something special in him and they aren't alone based on McKenzie's recent rankings.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I honestly liked Simashev more as a prospect. Like others have said, I think a lot of his hype is riding from that first month of production. Hasn’t done anything much in the MHL either

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Are the people criticizing this player watching him play, or just going off stats?
Sounds like it. They only ever talk about the production.

Which is the most points a KHLer has ever put up at the age of 17.

And he's a defense-first shutdown defender.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Are the people criticizing this player watching him play, or just going off stats?

Sounds like it. They only ever talk about the production.

Which is the most points a KHLer has ever put up at the age of 17.
And he's a defense-first shutdown defender.

This is kind of backwards to me.

If I was just looking at clips and seeing him skate, and then seeing 6'7, and the KHL points at his age (a lot), I would be blown away.

It's watching full games that makes me more reserved about his offensive upside. You rarely see Silayev trying anything.

If people are offended that some like Simashev more, well that's a great prospect. Simashev is also huge and also has amazing skating. And very unlike Silayev, he has a great ability to deceive with his movements, which gives Simashev more upside in transition than Silayev.

Reactions: montreal

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
This is kind of backwards to me.

If I was just looking at clips and seeing him skate, and then seeing 6'7, and the KHL points at his age (a lot), I would be blown away.

It's watching full games that makes me more reserved about his offensive upside. You rarely see Silayev trying anything.

If people are offended that some like Simashev more, well that's a great prospect. Simashev is also huge and also has amazing skating. And very unlike Silayev, he has a great ability to deceive with his movements, which gives Simashev more upside in transition than Silayev.

He was a 17 yo playing in the KHL, not the CHL. You have to consider it when you evaluate his offensive shyness.

The kid was trying to play a mistake free game and focussed primarily on his defensive assignments.

On a general basis, the KHL is harsher on their youngsters than the NHL. The Novgorod Torpedo, under Igor "the professor" Larionov, being a little different in that matter, Silayev got a lot of playing time.

Silayev have a Chara like defensive game, with Hedman skating. He's a defensive annihilator.
The kind you win championships with. He's in his element in 2-1 tight games.
Because of his combination of massive size and fluid skating, he's at his best when funneling attacking opponents to the boards to crush them.

And offensively wise, he could easily end up having a Chara/Weber type of offensive contribution. Centered around his wicked shot, that needs a little refinement in terms of precision.

Silayev have a very high floor, he could probably make the NHL right away.

But his roof potential is over the top...

Could end up being a franchise defenseman, in his own fashion.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
He was a 17 yo playing in the KHL, not the CHL. You have to consider it when you evaluate his offensive shyness.

The kid was trying to play a mistake free game and focussed primarily on his defensive assignments.

On a general basis, the KHL is harsher on their youngsters than the NHL. The Novgorod Torpedo, under Igor "the professor" Larionov, being a little different in that matter, Silayev got a lot of playing time.

Silayev have a Chara like defensive game, with Hedman skating. He's a defensive annihilator.
The kind you win championships with. He's in his element in 2-1 tight games.
Because of his combination of massive size and fluid skating, he's at his best when funneling attacking opponents to the boards to crush them.

And offensively wise, he could easily end up having a Chara/Weber type of offensive contribution. Centered around his wicked shot, that needs a little refinement in terms of precision.

Silayev have a very high floor, he could probably make the NHL right away.

But his roof potential is over the top...

Could end up being a franchise defenseman, in his own fashion.
I'd add to the bolded part that, while definitely not being perfect, in that component he looked better than other more experienced Torpedo Ds.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I watched him in the MHL playoffs too, and he did not start to make a play there.

Perhaps he'll just need more time to develop confidence after a long season playing cautiously in the KHL.

I think "easily" overstates it. I'm not ruling anything out but I don't think his shot is that close or that easily developed into an elite weapon.

Reactions: Blueston

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I watched him in the MHL playoffs too, and he did not start to make a play there.

Perhaps he'll just need more time to develop confidence after a long season playing cautiously in the KHL.

I think "easily" overstates it. I'm not ruling anything out but I don't think his shot is that close or that easily developed into an elite weapon.
Not making excuses but I wonder if he was physically/mentally worn down or his heart really just wasn't into playing in the MHL after spending the year in the K.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wonder if he was physically/mentally worn down

This I'm sympathetic to. Perhaps Silayev looks much better after a good off season of training and positive energy balance.

or his heart really just wasn't into playing in the MHL after spending the year in the K.

People said the same thing after Michkov's disappointing MHL playoffs a year ago, I didn't like it then, I don't like it now.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
This I'm sympathetic to. Perhaps Silayev looks much better after a good off season of training and positive energy balance.

People said the same thing after Michkov's disappointing MHL playoffs a year ago, I didn't like it then, I don't like it now.
I understand that but these are 17/18 year olds that we are talking about. I remember when I was in high school many many years ago and bouncing back and forth between varsity and JV. I would try in the JV games but my heart wasn't in it and I felt I was "above" it. Teen stuff but it's real.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I understand that but these are 17/18 year olds that we are talking about. I remember when I was in high school many many years ago and bouncing back and forth between varsity and JV. I would try in the JV games but my heart wasn't in it and I felt I was "above" it. Teen stuff but it's real.

Yeah I don't get it.

Anyways it's not relevant for Silayev either. He's a competitor and certainly showed that defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad