Pre-Game Talk: Penguins vs Canadiens pregame talk, also: Megna benched!

Status
Not open for further replies.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Is Zatkoff getting the start?

Nope.

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@penguins 1h
Marc-Andre Fleury is starting tonight for #Pens against the #Habs

https://twitter.com/penguins/status/426030564819234816

#1 MAF has not been good at all in Jan

MAF was excellent against Calgary and Washington. His other 4 starts, not so much.

#2 MAF has traditionally sucked against MTL

No argument here. Career 15-9-2 against them, but with a 3.19 GAA and .893 SV%.

#3 Zatkoff hasn't played since EDM

It seems like a long time, but there's only been 3 games since then.

When you look at how the team has used Zatkoff, it was a no brainer. They've picked their spots with him and have used him almost exclusively against weaker opponents (2x FLA, 2x CBJ, 2x NYI, etc) and that means tomorrow's game against NYI was a much more likely start for him.

Aside from back-to-backs, I don't see Zatkoff getting a start until the team gets their act together. That's nothing against him, just that the team has been playing some extremely bad hockey for weeks now, and they're going to want Fleury in there trying to bail them out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's almost as if Bylsma heard all the fans complaints about Dupuis being glued to Crosby's wing, so now that Pascal's out DB's putting the absolute worst players on Crosby's wing just to say to the fans, "See? It could be worse than having Dupuis on Sid's line."

Either that or Bylsma's simply an idiot who has an irrational obsession with useless veterans.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
It is truly dumbfounding Megna is benched over Kobasew. Can you imagine how many cups the Pens could have had with any semi coherent coach?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Maybe Dan is hoping to make a killing on betting on Kobasew to score. No logical reason though, Pyatt looked better in his shift(s) with Crosby and he's slower than a Lada full of elephants going uphill.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Even if you won't use Megna, which Megna has proven to have a good purpose on this team, then use Pyatt since he showed great skill w/ Geno. Maybe he can do that again w/ Sid.

However... Chucky? He shouldn't even be playing. He shouldn't even be on the team.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Even if you won't use Megna, which Megna has proven to have a good purpose on this team, then use Pyatt since he showed great skill w/ Geno. Maybe he can do that again w/ Sid.

However... Chucky? He shouldn't even be playing. He shouldn't even be on the team.

Or put Pyatt with Geno and Jokinen with Sid.

Something other than the worst player on the team

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland

You get out of here you logical *******. Don't bring you Smarts into this, we know Byslma knows what he's doing, he is team USA coach after all dummy. :laugh:

How ya been IcedCapp, keeping the Cap name alive?

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
Meg basically lost the last game by himself. He should be glad he's only scratched.

I agree with all of DBs Jack Adams like decisions.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Just watched Sid's media scrum, he was getting a bunch of questions about Subban and i think Plekanec, he seemed to be getting annoyed by the questions, i have a feeling Sid will be highly motivated tonight, i just hope his RW gives him enough help.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Just watched Sid's media scrum, he was getting a bunch of questions about Subban and i think Plekanec, he seemed to be getting annoyed by the questions, i have a feeling Sid will be highly motivated tonight, i just hope his RW gives him enough help.

Forget giving help, I just hope that the RW isn't a detriment to the line like it has been. As long as whoever is on that wing can "break even" the line will be fine.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I hope Crosby gets mad enough to blow up about this garbage.

Seriously, just put Pyatt or Engelland there and park him in front of the goalie. It's infinitely better than Kobasew.

Penguinzilla*

These types of games are why Sid needs someone like Ott on his wing (I didn't think this through very much, but, right now, I think this is a good idea heh)

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
The team is due for a little slide. with the long layoff and guys coming back to the lineup it will take a few games to gel again.

But im sure there will be panic in the board.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Megna looked a little sluggish to me in Florida. Judging by how sketchy everyone was on whether he would play or not prior to the Florida game, my guess is his knee's not really ready. If his knee's not ready, I'd prefer he keep rehabbing and letting it get better before going in the lineup to Megna Jeffreying himself.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
The team is due for a little slide. with the long layoff and guys coming back to the lineup it will take a few games to gel again.

But im sure there will be panic in the board.

I don't think gelling will be a problem. It's not like they're bringing in new players who have never played with any of these guys before.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

This please. I want Conner and Gibbons back so we can have a third line again. I can't believe that's what we've been reduced to.

All of these issues with Sid's winger, and I'm still most annoyed with Tanner Glass on the 3rd line.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Megna looked a little sluggish to me in Florida. Judging by how sketchy everyone was on whether he would play or not prior to the Florida game, my guess is his knee's not really ready. If his knee's not ready, I'd prefer he keep rehabbing and letting it get better before going in the lineup to Megna Jeffreying himself.

It's a nice thought, but no way that's true.

Even when Megna was scoring a goal every 3 or 4 games with LIMITED ice time, it's like Bylsma was looking for excuses to not play him. I remember that Rangers game where he played a pretty good first period, then I inexplicably didn't see him again.

It's the same with Beau, and the same with Despres. The staff seems to have an incredibly high opinion of itself and the strategies they employ, and the second someone seems to stray (even though everyone else is playing just as badly or worse), they're the only ones who get punished.

I can't even remember the last time I was unexcited to watch the Pens play a team like the Habs, who I cannot stand. I'll watch it because I love hockey, but this team and its vanilla approach to literally EVERYTHING, as well as the media refusing to hold anyone accountable, has sapped all the passion out of me when it comes to Penguins hockey.

And this is coming from a guy who dumped a girl once because she dared make me choose watching Pens/Caps game 7 or going to some stupid movie with her.

Fire Shero*

It is truly dumbfounding Megna is benched over Kobasew. Can you imagine how many cups the Pens could have had with any semi coherent coach?

True but lets not forget the guy who signed Kobasew and hasn't waived him yet.

Fire Shero*

Chuck Kobasew < Zach Boychuk

So sad these guys have played with the 2 best centers in the world.

Only in pittsburgh...

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
This please. I want Conner and Gibbons back so we can have a third line again. I can't believe that's what we've been reduced to.

All of these issues with Sid's winger, and I'm still most annoyed with Tanner Glass on the 3rd line.

Through all of this I've maintained a state of being annoyed (pissed, really pissed) about Gladams and Kobasew even playing. Well, when Glass and Kobasew have been healthy. Give me the call ups over Gladamsew. Pyatt has shown some progress and/or effort, those three...

Give me Bennett, Gibbons and Megna playing, I also like winger Engelland. We could actually have an interesting and competent bottom 6 if Bylsma would let it happen.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Through all of this I've maintained a state of being annoyed (pissed, really pissed) about Gladams and Kobasew even playing. Well, when Glass and Kobasew have been healthy. Give me the call ups over Gladamsew. Pyatt has shown some progress and/or effort, those three...

Give me Bennett, Gibbons and Megna playing, I also like winger Engelland. We could actually have an interesting and competent bottom 6 if Bylsma would let it happen.

Coaching staff rebuttal: But you can't hand these "kids" roster spots. They have to 110% earn it. The veterans, on the other hand, cannot play their way out of a roster spot. A call-up has to show they can they can out-produce a veteran's entire career production in only 16 games, playing under 10 minutes a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad