Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
The cap didn’t go up and isn’t expected to go up next year.
The cap DID go up, by $2MM. Two weeks ago the best GMs in the business weren't certain where the CURRENT salary cap was going to end up. I, for one, fully expect it to go up next year. And if you want to dispute this, I am fully prepared to go total Slim Whitman. Fear this, and govern yourself accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pens17 and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd like to state that even with those comparables, Tanev still looks somewhat overpaid - particularly as those guys have routinely scored more - but I think it becomes clearer that he's not stupidly overpaid (although that term, yeesh).

Also, amusingly, points don't seem to matter too much when signing these guys, as Roussel had a bad pre-contract season production wise and Calvert a good one.

I think I’m fine with the player. The point of my issue with Tanev isn’t the player. I was with @Empoleon8771 when the idea of JJ first came up.

The issue is giving him and Tanev a contract that purposefully eliminates the opportunity for youth and results in you losing better players.

This is a fair point. I was wondering why the hell we were targeting expensive complimentary wingers when that is the one thing our prospect pipeline does well before the signing; I see the need for the skillset (and don't see it elsewhere in the org) but still find it weird.

This said - we've been packing our roster full at the start of every season, and the kids have kept coming through. I know I'll be complaining at some point about age over seemingly more talent at some point in the coming season, but looking at the whole, it's worked out. And I'm less concerned with talent than I am chemistry and fit, but cross the bridge of him possibly forcing out players who make the team better when we come to it, which I don't think will be this summer.

edit: Particularly if we are lucky enough to somehow move Johnson.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The biggest problems with role players like Tanev is that once the speed leaves and the bumps and bruises pile up, efficiency goes down in a hurry.

The good thing is that he does not have a lot of mileage. 6 years is still absurd for a role player, no matter how good.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
The good...

Fast
Acceptable scoring for his role (maybe a little more juice to squeeze)
Pks well
81 blocks
278 hits
+4 takeaways
+9
Positive relative FF% on a good team
Positive xGF% 50.33
Positive HDSC% 53.79
Only 42% O-Zone Starts

The Bad.

6 years

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
The good...

Fast
Pks well
81 blocks
278 hits
+4 takeaways
+9
Positive xGF% 50.33
Positive HDSC% 53.79
Only 42% O-Zone Starts

The Bad.

6 years
3.5 MILLION
10 team NTC
Fixed it.

Hell Yeah!!!

Mar 11, 2007
ATL
The good...

Fast
Pks well
81 blocks
278 hits
+4 takeaways
+9
Positive xGF% 50.33
Positive HDSC% 53.79
Only 42% O-Zone Starts

The Bad.

6 years
I don’t get it, why is six years of a good thing at a declining cap % hit bad? Yah, I know, would feel a lot better if it was 3 or 4, we’ll see how long he produces.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Tanev is not like Hagelin the way he plays. Other than having speed, good forechecker, and being a good PKer that’s where the comparables stop.

Tanev is a physical **** stirrer that can jumpstart his team and motivate them with his motor and tenacity on the puck and earnestness to throw out checks.

There is a reason 8-10 GMs were reportedly in on adding Tanev. All the posters flipping out about this deal have obviously never watched the guy play. Keep pointing to his point totals and stats and you keep outing yourselves as people who haven’t watched him a lick.

Tanev is a difference maker who doesn’t show up on the scoreboard frequently. That’s why lots of GMs wanted him. That’s why Winnipeg fans were sorry to see him go. That’s why other fans in the West were upset they didn’t get him but were happy to see him in the East now. He makes positive impacts for your team which doesn’t always show up on the score board.

Comparing him to Hagelin is a joke. Sure the term is a little long for the role player he is but some of you guys are ****ing acting like we signed Jack Johnson 2.0 which is laughable.

Tanev and his contract are not a problem. JMFJ and his contract is the problem. Tanev is a positive player in many ways. JMFJ has nothing positive for us.

The only thing worse would’ve been seeing Tanev get signed by one of the arms race metro teams like Philthy or the Craps and him kamikazing one of our stars and you guys *****ing and moaning about wishing we had a player like Tanev on our team.
What a breath of fresh air,

All the negativity surrounding Tanev is unbearable, especially when everyone was stoked to get him but we’re now crying over term of all things? Term is really such a minuscule thing, especially with a new TV Deal and CBA right around the corner.

He might be overpaid by 500k as the cap stands right now and yeah his term is questionable but we already have Jake, Sid and Letang and (arguably Geno) with sweetheart deals in comparison to the the way contracts are looking in today’s day and age.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some posters are hoping he fails just so their holy opinions are correct and their “I told you so’s” are
plentiful.

Last edited:

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
The cap DID go up, by $2MM. Two weeks ago the best GMs in the business weren't certain where the CURRENT salary cap was going to end up. I, for one, fully expect it to go up next year. And if you want to dispute this, I am fully prepared to go total Slim Whitman. Fear this, and govern yourself accordingly.

And GMs were expecting a much higher raise, which is why the Penguins are in the cap situation they are now. And the same is predicted for next year, a very small raise.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No, because the guy just scored 14, and didn’t shoot higher than usual, not did he play with a pivot who could pass worth a damn.

You acted like 10ish goals is easily replaceable. How does that defend Tanev when he has done it once at 27?

You also realize that 12 of his goals came (7 of which came in a 20 game stretch) when he was playing with Matthieu Perreault who has had 20+ assists pretty much his entire career.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'd like to state that even with those comparables, Tanev still looks somewhat overpaid - particularly as those guys have routinely scored more - but I think it becomes clearer that he's not stupidly overpaid (although that term, yeesh).

Also, amusingly, points don't seem to matter too much when signing these guys, as Roussel had a bad pre-contract season production wise and Calvert a good one.

This is a fair point. I was wondering why the hell we were targeting expensive complimentary wingers when that is the one thing our prospect pipeline does well before the signing; I see the need for the skillset (and don't see it elsewhere in the org) but still find it weird.

This said - we've been packing our roster full at the start of every season, and the kids have kept coming through. I know I'll be complaining at some point about age over seemingly more talent at some point in the coming season, but looking at the whole, it's worked out. And I'm less concerned with talent than I am chemistry and fit, but cross the bridge of him possibly forcing out players who make the team better when we come to it, which I don't think will be this summer.

edit: Particularly if we are lucky enough to somehow move Johnson.

We have not had a forward with term like Tanev since Rutherford took over. And those with slight term like Kunitz, Dupuis, etc were never scratched for you.

Even D wise we haven’t seen anyone scratched on D outside of this year when we literally could not scratch Pettersson.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We have not had a forward with term like Tanev since Rutherford took over. And those with slight term like Kunitz, Dupuis, etc were never scratched for you.

Even D wise we haven’t seen anyone scratched on D outside of this year when we literally could not scratch Pettersson.

And that hasn't stopped prospects mostly coming through in the end in the past, and won't in the future. A team with our sort of luck with injuries and a more or less consistent need for 8 or so players on minimum or near minimum wage doesn't need to scratch players to find space for kids (albeit sometimes later rather than sooner).

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
And GMs were expecting a much higher raise, which is why the Penguins are in the cap situation they are now. And the same is predicted for next year, a very small raise.
Much higher? They were expecting $83MM and got $81.5MM. That's $1,500,000. So that is "much higher" while a $2,000,000 increase is "a very small raise"? #confused. Anyway, as you just indicated, we're not too good predicting the next cap. Relax.

Last edited:

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Can anyone clarify how Tanev's limited NMC impacts whether or not he can be exposed for the Seattle expansion draft? If he doesn't waive does that mean he has to be protected?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Is there any way we don’t need to dump salary if we sign MP to a 1 year deal at like $2 million instead of the 3.5x4? Like basically an arbitration deal.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You acted like 10ish goals is easily replaceable. How does that defend Tanev when he has done it once at 27?

You also realize that 12 of his goals came (7 of which came in a 20 game stretch) when he was playing with Matthieu Perreault who has had 20+ assists pretty much his entire career.

Well, he was on pace for 11 the year before playing with Lowry and Copp. So that's 2 of the 3 years he's been in the league that he's scored at a 10+ goal pace. The only year he didn't was his rookie season when he played 10:40 a night.

And that's not even touching on how dubious it is to suggest that Perreault is the calibre of player we should be worrying about Tanev riding the coattails of. We can give Tanev a linemate as productive as Perreault anywhere we put him in the top 9, and if he's a complementary player in the top 6, exponentially better linemates. This is not some unattainable standard.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Is there any way we don’t need to dump salary if we sign MP to a 1 year deal at like $2 million instead of the 3.5x4? Like basically an arbitration deal.

Nope. We currently have 2.3m with 11F and 7D. Even if ZAR+ Blueger sign for a combined 1.5m, we have to move salary. Another move has to be made.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well, he was on pace for 11 the year before playing with Lowry and Copp. So that's 2 of the 3 years he's been in the league that he's scored at a 10+ goal pace. The only year he didn't was his rookie season when he played 10:40 a night.

And that's not even touching on how dubious it is to suggest that Perreault is the calibre of player we should be worrying about Tanev riding the coattails of. We can give Tanev a linemate as productive as Perreault anywhere we put him in the top 9, and if he's a complementary player in the top 6, exponentially better linemates. This is not some unattainable standard.

If he is in our bottom six there is not a player comparable to Perreault that will be playing with him. Perreault is typically a 50PT+ pace player outside of last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00