Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Tanev is what Horni was when he got traded to pens. He played top line minutes and put up points. Tanev can be that guy with much more speed than Horni ever had.

Hornqvist was a reliable, consistent, top 6 goalscorer on a defense first team when he was traded here. There is a reason he was traded for a 40 goal scorer. Comparing him to Tanev is bizarre. Yes, Tanev is faster... so are many players who have retired years ago. Doesn't mean much. I would love it if Tanev can become a faster Hornqvist but I don't think it's likely at all.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Disagree. Cooke at this point has the much more successful career, stupid borderline bs aside.

Well of course his career looks better than Tanev given Tanev is much younger player and still playing pro hockey.

I think Cooke was one of the most overrated players during Bylsma's tenure here but I don't have time to get into the in depth reasons right now.

Tanev is a better skater, he's as good or better than Cooke in the corners because he actually hits people and disrupts timing whereas I always felt Cooke was a guy who racked up non productive hits and stupid penalties. Tanev is easily as good as Cooke was offensively and Cooke was a guy who had horrendous possession metrics to boot.

There isn't a situation where I'd want Cooke over Tanev unless you want to have one of your players suspended for doing dumb shit.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Well of course his career looks better than Tanev given Tanev is much younger player and still playing pro hockey.

I think Cooke was one of the most overrated players during Bylsma's tenure here but I don't have time to get into the in depth reasons right now.

Tanev is a better skater, he's as good or better than Cooke in the corners because he actually hits people and disrupts timing whereas I always felt Cooke was a guy who racked up non productive hits and stupid penalties. Tanev is easily as good as Cooke was offensively and Cooke was a guy who had horrendous possession metrics to boot.

There isn't a situation where I'd want Cooke over Tanev unless you want to have one of your players suspended for doing dumb ****.

Cooke had basically seven straight 10+ goal seasons at Tanev’s current age.

Tanev has pretty mediocre possession stats until
This year.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
early part of thread is a perfect reminder of why you should not lose your **** when you haven't watched a guy play or how he will fit in on team. but it will be ignored completely

Why would we log in and debate this stuff if we all took that road????

That'd be too tame.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Tanev was a 4th liner for his entire career until we gave him a massive contract. Now he's a 3rd-4th liner.
Hornqvist was a top 6 guy throughout his entire career. There is literally no comparison between the 2.

Tanev is great and all, but he will never, EVER be a top 6 player. Nothing about his game says he can, or should, play in a scoring role.

Never be a top 6? Why not? I could very easily see Tanev doing great on any line. I think he could provide the same productive play prime Hagelin did and also Dupuis. Tanev is on pace for 16 goals and 38 points playing with ZAR and Blueger. If Tanev can produce that well with that quality player than he could surely pop in 4 more goals over that pace playing with Crosby on the top line. I could very easily see Tanev as a 20 goal 45 point player that makes his linemates better by using his speed to create turnovers with his forecheck and creating space for his linemates to make plays.

Tanev has gotten better every season and his style of play is good anyplace in the lineup. If I had 4 Tanev's I would put one on each line with 2 players that could take advantage of the space he will provide them and the turnovers he would create. Rust is another player that did the same thing and has just taken it to another level this season. Give a fast forechecker on every line and Sullivan's system will work to perfection.

Kahun-Crosby-Tanev would kick butt!! It isn't going to happen because Sullivan finds that 4th line more valuable in a shut down role. But for Tanev to be playing a more defensive line responsibility with much less inferior players and still be on pace for 16 goals and 38 points is crazy impressive.

Last edited:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Kahun-Crosby-Tanev would kick butt!! It isn't going to happen because Sullivan finds that 4th line more valuable in a shut down role. But for Tanev to be playing a more defensive line responsibility with much less inferior players and still be on pace for 16 goals and 38 points is crazy impressive.
tanev could very well play up or down the line up. i could see him being a good fit with sid, but not so sure a good fit with sid and kahun. (unless kahun develops a shot fast) now a sid, jake, and tanev line would be awesome.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
There "should" be a lot of poster ashamed looking at their posts in this thread. But so many are mouth breathers as it is so...

Lol. Not sure if I am a mouth breather, but you tend to have a thing with me for whatever reason, so wouldn't be surprised.

Anyway, speaking for myself specifically, I already said I was wrong on this one. You can find it in my post history. Tanev has been great and even though I still think the term was rich, it doesn't matter (which many said, so again, I was wrong).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->