Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Tanev for way too long and way too much

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
You don't pay 3.5 million, 6 years to a 27 year old guy with 51 career points.

Like most people you think hockey is just about points and base evaluation mostly off scoring totals.

Not to mention 3.5M isn't even that much coin. Certainly won't be 3+ years down the line.

This guy is going to be well liked here. And it will be hilarious to troll people non stop all season.

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
Like most people you think hockey is just about points and base evaluation mostly off scoring totals.

Not to mention 3.5M isn't even that much coin. Certainly won't be 3+ years down the line.

This guy is going to be well liked here. And it will be hilarious to troll people non stop all season.

3.5 is a shit ton for 6 years of 4th line play

They're literally at the Cap and might have to shed good players to make it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Random Brandon Tanev stat -

Out of the LWs playing 500 or more minutes at 5v5 last season, Brandon Tanev had the 13th worst zone starts. Out of the 15 worse (sample size picked because that's how much I can see on this tiny laptop screen without scrolling), nobody had a higher relative HDCF%; only Roussel and Calvert had higher relative SCF%s (hell, only 6 players were positive here), and only Marcus Foligno and Calvert had higher relative xGF%s.

And that's the second year running he's been part of that club, and the second year running he's done very well in relative possession stats in those categories.

Or to put it another way, it appears that if you want to bury a LW in defensive zone starts for the rest of their natural life, Brandon Tanev is one of the stronger choices in the NHL.

It should also be noted that Tanev's 3.5m in free agency lines up fairly well with Calvert's 2.85m and Roussel's 3m the season before (and Roussel got a M-NTC too). In retrospect we should have realised all the hopes he'd come in about 2m were out to lunch...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Random Brandon Tanev stat -

Out of the LWs playing 500 or more minutes at 5v5 last season, Brandon Tanev had the 13th worst zone starts. Out of the 15 worse (sample size picked because that's how much I can see on this tiny laptop screen without scrolling), nobody had a higher relative HDCF%; only Roussel and Calvert had higher relative SCF%s (hell, only 6 players were positive here), and only Marcus Foligno and Calvert had higher relative xGF%s.

And that's the second year running he's been part of that club, and the second year running he's done very well in relative possession stats in those categories.

Or to put it another way, it appears that if you want to bury a LW in defensive zone starts for the rest of their natural life, Brandon Tanev is one of the stronger choices in the NHL.

It should also be noted that Tanev's 3.5m in free agency lines up fairly well with Calvert's 2.85m and Roussel's 3m the season before (and Roussel got a M-NTC too). In retrospect we should have realised all the hopes he'd come in about 2m were out to lunch...

Hm.

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013

Roussel was for 4 years and 500k less.
Calvert was for 3 years and 650k less

Reactions: billybudd

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I also think it's worthwhile to point out that Tanev has 5 goals and 8 points in 22 career playoff games, which looks eerily similar to Rust's production in his 2 cup runs (6 goals and 9 points in 23 games in 2016, 7 goals and 9 points in 23 games in 2017).

The more I think about this contract, the more I just can't get mad about it. He's about $750k overpaid for 2 years too many, but that doesn't override the good he provides as a player. He's most likely a 25-30 point 3rd line winger who brings speed, grit and defensem and has a history of solid production in the playoffs.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Tanev is like either of those players he’s worth 3.5.

I don’t agree with Peat that he is.

Stats are very similar. His penalties drawn to penalties conceded ratio is a lot better too, he hits more than both combined, blocks more shots than Calvert, better individual shot generation and PKing than Roussel...

... maybe this is a mirage and we got the wrong guy, but the stats says the overall effect is right in that ballpark.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Stats are very similar. His penalties drawn to penalties conceded ratio is a lot better too, he hits more than both combined, blocks more shots than Calvert, better individual shot generation and PKing than Roussel...

... maybe this is a mirage and we got the wrong guy, but the stats says the overall effect is right in that ballpark.

He brings a little bit of both of the dimensions Pens lost with Hags and Bonino. He’s not as good as either overall obviously, but speed, PKing, shot blocking, never quitting on plays, all stuff that was in short supply.

Reactions: Riptide

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
I had a knee jerk reaction to this like a lot of people, and rightfully so. I've come around to this signing a lot more with some of you guys posting some promising advanced stats and videos. Lets hope that Tanev can do what he did last year, for at least 5 years of this contract.

Whats good to note is that, if Tanev plays up to his contract. He could become a tradeable asset

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Roussel was for 4 years and 500k less.
Calvert was for 3 years and 650k less

Cap is going up, Roussel had 5.5 seasons of mileage opposed to Tanev’s 2, and this team has a clear window where they can afford to give an extra year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He brings a little bit of both of the dimensions Pens lost with Hags and Bonino. He’s not as good as either overall obviously, but speed, PKing, shot blocking, never quitting on plays, all stuff that was in short supply.

I dunno. Tanev doesn't have a lengthy track record to suggest he's a sure bet to keep doing it, but last year he scored at exactly the same pace Hagelin did here for his last 2 regular seasons (and better in the playoffs) despite getting a lot less favourable deployment.

It's all about whether he can keep doing it IMO.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I dunno. Tanev doesn't have a lengthy track record to suggest he's a sure bet to keep doing it, but last year he scored at exactly the same pace Hagelin did here for his last 2 regular seasons (and better in the playoffs) despite getting a lot less favourable deployment.

It's all about whether he can keep doing it IMO.

Yea sorry, I think he might be as good as Hagelin now, if not as impactful in different ways. It’s funny to see people compare him to Glass when most Winnipeg fans recognized that Glass was terrible but are sad to see Tanev go.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Wait, so, how does Tanev’s modified no-trade clause impact the Seattle expansion draft? Would we have to protect him?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Dumbest statement in this thread.

Roussel had 4 seasons of being a 10+ goal scorer in the NHL.

The length people are going to defend this contract is seriously deserving of my reaction.

I don't believe many people are defending the contract...the shortcomings of the deal are well-known.

They're providing reasons why it might work here, and some advantages Tanev might have over comparables. Roussel clearly has an advantage in the length of his track record, but mileage on smaller, physical players like Tanev or Roussel is often a factor too. Acknowledging that doesn't mean people are drinking the Kool-Aid.

I said earlier that whatever you think of the contract, I bet you'll love the player here within a month. What do you think?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't believe many people are defending the contract...the shortcomings of the deal are well-known.

They're providing reasons why it might work here, and some advantages Tanev might have over comparables. Roussel clearly has an advantage in the length of his track record, but mileage on smaller, physical players like Tanev or Roussel is often a factor too. Acknowledging that doesn't mean people are drinking the Kool-Aid.

I said earlier that whatever you think of the contract, I bet you'll love the player here within a month. What do you think?

I think I’m fine with the player. The point of my issue with Tanev isn’t the player. I was with @Empoleon8771 when the idea of JJ first came up.

The issue is giving him and Tanev a contract that purposefully eliminates the opportunity for youth and results in you losing better players.

I think Tanev will be a fine 4th line LW for us. The issue is Simon and ZAR already were. I wasn’t a big fan of Archibald or AJ, but they were similar.

So people like yourself will defend aspects of this contract and then turn around and criticize Sullivan for playing JJ and Tanev over younger players with the actual chance of being better.

It is why I’ll never criticize Sully for Tanev or JJ’s usage. They both are signed here longer than Letang, Malkin and in Tanev’s case as long as Sid. Of course they’re going to get every chance to prove their worth.

Furthermore. If you’re acting like Tanev not being a legit NHLer until he is 27 is some kind of positive. Get stuffed. Name me some players that had their 1st full season at 27 that became solid top nine wingers.

People cite Kunitz, but that is number one a different era and number two a player that had 44 goals by the time he turned 28 in the NHL.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think I’m fine with the player. The point of my issue with Tanev isn’t the player. I was with @Empoleon8771 when the idea of JJ first came up.

The issue is giving him and Tanev a contract that purposefully eliminates the opportunity for youth and results in you losing better players.

I think Tanev will be a fine 4th line LW for us. The issue is Simon and ZAR already were. I wasn’t a big fan of Archibald or AJ, but they were similar.

So people like yourself will defend aspects of this contract and then turn around and criticize Sullivan for playing JJ and Tanev over younger players with the actual chance of being better.

It is why I’ll never criticize Sully for Tanev or JJ’s usage. They both are signed here longer than Letang, Malkin and in Tanev’s case as long as Sid. Of course they’re going to get every chance to prove their worth.

Tanev and JJ aren't comparable, though.

Tanev was extremely effective in his role last year. It's a short track record, but it's a good one nonetheless. JJ has a long track record of poor play. Those are two very different things.

Sullivan deserves every bit of criticism he gets for playing JJ because he's terrible and actively hurts the team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Tanev and JJ aren't comparable, though.

Tanev was extremely effective in his role last year. It's a short track record, but it's a good one nonetheless. JJ has a long track record of poor play. Those are two very different things.

Sullivan deserves every bit of criticism he gets for playing JJ because he's terrible and actively hurts the team.

You do realize a year before JJ was scratched in Columbus he had great numbers being carried by Savard right?

It’s easy to microcosm things when you don’t have the full picture.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You do realize a year before JJ was scratched in Columbus he had great numbers being carried by Savard right?

It’s easy to microcosm things when you don’t have the full picture.

JJ put up better production that season but still got abused in the underlying numbers, like he does every year.

They're apples and oranges. One should always be in the line-up, the other should never be in the line-up.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Dumbest statement in this thread.

Roussel had 4 seasons of being a 10+ goal scorer in the NHL.

The length people are going to defend this contract is seriously deserving of my reaction.

Oh 10 goals, amazing. Tanev cannot compete with that t r a c k r e c o r d

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad