Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign NCAA leading scorer Zach Aston-Reese

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
That is the case with most, but usually the top couple of the class (of which ZAR is) have the first year of their ELC burned off by the signing club as a little 'bonus' for choosing to sign with them. The fact Aston-Reese didn't says to me that he was pretty well set on signing with the Penguins, which would fit the narrative the past couple days.

Nice to see a Boston-educated New Yorker somehow grew up a Penguins fan.

They aren't all Cambridge snobs.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah the fact that he didn't choose the Oilers, Canucks or Sens where he could have gotten paid and burn off 1yr of his ELC is interesting, I mean it's great but it's pretty rare outside of Vesey and Hayes choosing the Rangers, usually players choose the lesser teams.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
basically said he's a player like hornqvist. which is always a good thing

he also said they were going to sign him last year...but thought he'd benefit from another year in college

To add onto this:

Rutherford said he doesn't feel like Reese is too far away, and next year could be "the year".

He also went on to say that free college signings like these are huge, especially with always moving draft picks in order to win now. Went on to name drop the Hainsey deal (2nd round pick cost) and said that he definitely believes having Aston-Reese is better than a 2nd round pick.

Reese quotes/tidbits: I'd post the full quotes but I don't come on here enough to know the rules so I'll play it safe.

But basically went on to say how it was down to the Penguins and one Canadian team. (Based off what I've seen from other outlets, I would guess OTT as EDM/VAN were told they were out of it either yesterday or earlier today.)

How he can play either wing, and is willing to play on the PK. He likes the Hornqvist comparison, and actually prides himself on being a gritty player.

There's also a quote about being cognizant of the fact his skating needs to get better/find another gear for the NHL level, but he's ready and looking forward to the challenge.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
basically said he's a player like hornqvist. which is always a good thing

he also said they were going to sign him last year...but thought he'd benefit from another year in college

aston-reese will play left wing for the penguins too

Ah, so there was a connection before this season.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Of course he is better than a second round pick. You have a kid that you hope a second rounder becomes. It doesn't guarantee success at the NFL level, but being further along he is much less of a projection and gamble.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Of course he is better than a second round pick. You have a kid that you hope a second rounder becomes. It doesn't guarantee success at the NFL level, but being further along he is much less of a projection and gamble.

Man if he can succeed at the NFL level...

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Interesting quote for JR's thought process from the DK article:

“Guys like this are big and I’ll tell you why,†he said. “We trade a lot of draft picks because we’re always trying to get better right now. But that hurts us. So, you sign a kid like this, it’s huge. We gave up a second-round pick to get Ron Hainsey, and that’s worked out. He’s been so good for us. But getting a kid like this is better than having a second-round pick, no question about it.â€

Signings like this are crucial are no longer though of as nice little bonuses, but an integral part of their asset management strategy. Interesting stuff.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
I'm jealous you guys scored ZAR, watched him a good amount at northeastern, kid can play, he scored a lot of dirty goals and has worked on his two way game over the last few seasons. He could turn into a solid bottom 6 player and free prosects is always good. A lot of his skills should translate into the pro game well.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Alot of goals seem to be around the net or tips. Good chance stuff like that translates as long as he can take the abuse.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012

Hockey & Football, a double threat guy, lets just hopes he's better at hockey than the Jay Caufield.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Interesting quote for JR's thought process from the DK article:

Signings like this are crucial are no longer though of as nice little bonuses, but an integral part of their asset management strategy. Interesting stuff.

Our 2nd round picks have always been busts anyway, or almost always.

ShatteredGlass

∞ Posts Deleted :)
Dec 19, 2011
Pittsburgh / Vegas
I get the Hornqvist comparisons, but it also seems he plays a sort of Hornqvist/Kunitz hybrid style. I like it. Laying hits, playing bigger than his size, going to the front of the net/dirty areas, and playing a 200ft game is exactly the type of player teams should covet. Just work on his skating and this could be a big steal. And of course, free prospects = No risk/High Reward Potential. WIN!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad