Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign NCAA leading scorer Zach Aston-Reese

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, a young Chris Kunitz is a steal of a player.

If Sundqvist can impose his will and score some points while on this call up, I think he'd be a lock to be the net front guy though. He's gigantic.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

I actually think he's a pretty similar player to Kuhnhackl already at this point, in terms of both play style and current level. I'm pretty curious to see how he does in the AHL, I think him and Bjorkqvist are wild card prospects who could make an impact sooner than later.

I like the Kuhn with some upside comparison. Saying he's the next Hornqvist or Kunitz is getting waaaaaaay ahead of ourselves.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I like the Kuhn with some upside comparison. Saying he's the next Hornqvist or Kunitz is getting waaaaaaay ahead of ourselves.

He has a tad more puck skills than Kuhn imo.
A good safe comparison is Scott Wilson, i think, who sniped em at the AHL level and is now grinding out with the bottom 6 for us. I like that comparison cuz Wilson isn't the fleetest of foot either.
Difference is ZAR can PK pretty well too.
I think he atleast ends up being that(Wilson-type) but there may be potential for more, like a middle six winger.

Wait and see what Donatelli and Sully can do with him.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
But does he know how to get injured?

Don't worry, that is something we teach quite well and doesn't need to come naturally when you get here. :laugh:

Guys like Streit picked it up quickly, while guys like Hagelin took a bit longer but are on track now. Streit even learned that it shouldn't be a simple, standard injury, but a bizarre and unique one.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Stupid question but does this move then make us apt to draft Defensman this coming draft? With our first couple picks at least..

Center and defense were and still are our biggest needs heading into this draft. Our best center prospect soon won't be considered a prospect any longer, and we don't really have anyone else in the system that's ever going to be considered NHL caliber. On top of that, we have the obvious question of whether or not Bonino is leaving and whether Cullen retires or not (probably to both). Defense we have more numbers, but no one exceptional. Ideally we take a center in the first and go d the rest of the way, in my opinion.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Center and defense were and still are our biggest needs heading into this draft. Our best center prospect soon won't be considered a prospect any longer, and we don't really have anyone else in the system that's ever going to be considered NHL caliber. On top of that, we have the obvious question of whether or not Bonino is leaving and whether Cullen retires or not (probably to both). Defense we have more numbers, but no one exceptional. Ideally we take a center in the first and go d the rest of the way, in my opinion.

I think we are all expecting Sundqvist full time next year and you are right center depth is needed. I like your strategy, I doubt they go D all the way but if they try to mix up center and D throughout I wouldn't be opposed. I know this is a weak draft but there will be quality nhl players but the Pens want to be that team that doesn't swing and miss

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, a young Chris Kunitz is a steal of a player.

If Sundqvist can impose his will and score some points while on this call up, I think he'd be a lock to be the net front guy though. He's gigantic.

He really is, he just looks so darn fragile though. I don't know what it is about him but when I see him mix it up...I get so worried he gonna get hurt. I could just be jaded or I could be subconsciously thinking about his injury history.

Bjorkqvist is another one in this mold. Makes me happy that we've "stockpiled" a couple Hornqvist like players.

Don't worry, that is something we teach quite well and doesn't need to come naturally when you get here. :laugh:

Guys like Streit picked it up quickly, while guys like Hagelin took a bit longer but are on track now. Streit even learned that it shouldn't be a simple, standard injury, but a bizarre and unique one.

Alright Zach, he's your welcome basket. You'll find a couple things from the booster club - maps, restaurant guide, coupons, directions and routes to the rink and hospital. Here's your team jersey and most importantly, here's your health insurance card.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Alright Zach, he's your welcome basket. You'll find a couple things from the booster club - maps, restaurant guide, coupons, directions and routes to the rink and hospital. Here's your team jersey and most importantly, here's your health insurance card.

Also let me introduce you to the Team's medical staff...any concerns and they will keep an eye on you as you play your next game, and evaluate from there...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Isn't JR's rep as kind of the anti-Shero, meaning that JR would prefer to pick up skilled forwards in the way that Shero loved him some defensemen, especially PMD's?

I would not be at all surprised if the Pens went offense again at the top end of this draft, as that is their wheelhouse and they are pretty successful at picking them.

If they can get Fleury off the books, and with Kunitz and some others gone they will be a player in the FA market this coming year. They can not and will not go crazy, but they should be able to fill any defensive holes there.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I honestly think drafts should just be BPA. The only position I would pause with that is goalie....unless that guy is so crazy high rated and managed to fall in the draft somehow.

These guys are usually 5 or so years out. Hard to draft for need in that scenario.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Isn't JR's rep as kind of the anti-Shero, meaning that JR would prefer to pick up skilled forwards in the way that Shero loved him some defensemen, especially PMD's?

I would not be at all surprised if the Pens went offense again at the top end of this draft, as that is their wheelhouse and they are pretty successful at picking them.

If they can get Fleury off the books, and with Kunitz and some others gone they will be a player in the FA market this coming year. They can not and will not go crazy, but they should be able to fill any defensive holes there.

Eh, looking at his drafting with Carolina over the years it was relatively balanced but you could say he leaned towards forwards. JR drafted Murphy, Pesce, Slavin and Faulk, Johnson and Dumoulin on D but forwards like Lindholm, staal, Skinner, Rask, sutter and Ladd for the successes. It's not shero levels of "always with the ****ing defensemen."

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

The list of UFA defenders is a log pile of "meh" or "alright" this off season. I like the idea of MDZ on the cheap. He could be a serviceable 5/6 defender. Could be cheaper than Dailey and comparable to what we get on the ice. There is Kulikov that we maybe to get on a reclamation deal. Or we could target Stone... Other than that I just see some "meh"...

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I honestly think drafts should just be BPA. The only position I would pause with that is goalie....unless that guy is so crazy high rated and managed to fall in the draft somehow.

These guys are usually 5 or so years out. Hard to draft for need in that scenario.

Completely agree with this. You never know what you're going to need in 2 or 3 years. Who would have ever thought defense would be a problem here?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The list of UFA defenders is a log pile of "meh" or "alright" this off season. I like the idea of MDZ on the cheap. He could be a serviceable 5/6 defender. Could be cheaper than Dailey and comparable to what we get on the ice. There is Kulikov that we maybe to get on a reclamation deal. Or we could target Stone... Other than that I just see some "meh"...

I like MDZ as a possible Daley replacement as well.
His style fits and he may put up another one of his bigger seasons that he's had here with PIT.

I guess it's a wait and see what the ED does to our roster.
If we lose a guy like Maatta or Cole, we'd be in desperate need of actual defenders/PK'ing types instead of the MDZ types.

StutzlesTapeJob

Dec 22, 2008
Hopefully JR uses the strategy of best move for the team. Sure GM's have tendencies, but there is so much to consider. It's a problem when the tendency, like shero with pmds, doesn't jive with building the best possible team or your other tactics.

So far I give jr full marks at using all tools to build a complete system. Trades have mostly been very good. Signing of UFAs. Drafting. He seem far more pragmatic then theory driven.

Shero drafted good players. But then spent a ton of money on the same positions we were stocked at to bring in free agents. All in all it was an underutilization of means and assets.

I would still like to see us add some size on both sides when the right opportunities are there. Not goons. Not fighters. But some bottom six players who can thrive and match physicality when we play some of the league's large and skilled teams.

It's not essential to winning, but the right players could make us more well rounded.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Looking at some highlights on youtube and he looks a lot like Kunitz.

Younger Kunitz mind you. Just a decently sized net front guy with quick hands. If he pans out into a 15-15 net front guy or better I'd be thrilled.

This was my thought on him as well. A younger version of Kunitz. He could perhaps even one day play a 3rd wheel role like Kunitz played - especially if we have someone skilled and fast on the other wing... say a Sheary, Guentzel or Kessel.

I mean Kunitz in his prime was never a bad player. And I think most people's ***** wasn't about him or Dupuis individually being on Crosby's wing... it was the pair of them and what it allowed other teams to do to nullify that line.

That said I'm not holding my breath that he pans out. Most college free agent signings do not. But as others have said... free stuff. Everyone wanted him, and we got him. If it doesn't work out, it cost us nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00