Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign NCAA leading scorer Zach Aston-Reese

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah 2 out of those had a rough year with injuries and diseases but I still have a ton of hope for them in our system.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yay. I had little expectation that we'd win this one so this is great. WBS will have a nice influx of talent as the Pens get healthy and this kid and Sprong get there

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
That is the case with most, but usually the top couple of the class (of which ZAR is) have the first year of their ELC burned off by the signing club as a little 'bonus' for choosing to sign with them. The fact Aston-Reese didn't says to me that he was pretty well set on signing with the Penguins, which would fit the narrative the past couple days.

Nice to see a Boston-educated New Yorker somehow grew up a Penguins fan.
Very true -- good point.

Even something that comes up with the drafted guys. Seems like there's a debate which route Boeser will take with Vancouver.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
There can't be many teams with more Americans and more college players than the Pens. I'd have to think these guys seeing what Sheary and Rust and Guentzel and Dumoulin are doing makes an impact on the decision-making process.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Well, there you go. Probably only 1 in 10 'top' college free agents live up to their billing (actually, that might be generous), but that's okay. It's frankly worth it even if he becomes an AHL star, really.

Just in case anyone wasn't fully aware yet, he actually is going to WBS on an ATO.

http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/penguins/index.php/2017/03/14/penguins-sign-forward-zach-aston-reese/

The contract will begin with the 2017-18 season and run through 2018-19. In the meantime, Aston-Reese will report to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton on an amateur tryout contract for the remainder of this season.

Last edited:

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
if you're an udfa and you see sheary on crosbys wing it has to make you think pittsburgh is awfully appealing. glad for a free prospect.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
There can't be many teams with more Americans and more college players than the Pens. I'd have to think these guys seeing what Sheary and Rust and Guentzel and Dumoulin are doing makes an impact on the decision-making process.

Sheary is on the verge of turning himself into a millionaire many times over, so I hope it helps!!

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005

if you're an udfa and you see sheary on crosbys wing it has to make you think pittsburgh is awfully appealing. glad for a free prospect.

Yup. And these players are noticing.

AgentM

Jan 4, 2008
Allison Park, PA
Yup. And these players are noticing.

Always great news that we pulled in a free asset, especially a highly sought after one like this kid.

And I love this quote from him, hopefully he's not the only one that has taken notice and this reputation helps land us some more talent. Maybe even from Europe/Russia in the future

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I actually think he's a pretty similar player to Kuhnhackl already at this point, in terms of both play style and current level. I'm pretty curious to see how he does in the AHL, I think him and Bjorkqvist are wild card prospects who could make an impact sooner than later.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I actually think he's a pretty similar player to Kuhnhackl already at this point, in terms of both play style and current level. I'm pretty curious to see how he does in the AHL, I think him and Bjorkqvist are wild card prospects who could make an impact sooner than later.

But will he be a huge time shot blocker in the playoffs like Kuhn? don't want him if he doesn't...jk!:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00