Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign NCAA leading scorer Zach Aston-Reese

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005

ZAR.png

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
What's the story on this guy? Would he go to WBS right away for their playoffs and then be a legit competitor for a spot on the big club next year?

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
There are plenty of numbers to point to for the Hobey Baker Award candidate and Walter Brown Award semifinalist, but the one that everyone raves about is 200, as in the length in feet of a regulation hockey rink. “He's a complete player, a 200-foot complete player,” his coach Jim Madigan says.

It’s easy to be wowed by Aston-Reese’s offensive totals over the past season-and-a-half, a prolific stat line that accounts for 85 points in 55 games, though when the forward is asked to describe his game, his high-scoring ways are noticeably absent.

“I think my game is kinda tough to play against,” the undrafted forward says. “I play both sides of the puck pretty well, I like to play physical. I like to play down low and in the dirty area of the ice and get puck to the net. I try to get under some guys' skins. It's all part of my game. That's what I pride myself on.”

"He's a smart 200-foot kind of a guy," says Kirk Luedeke, a scout with Red Line Report. "He doesn't have a ton of size, but he plays bigger. He's heavy on pucks, he's responsible, he's diligent, he works hard along the walls and he goes to the dirty areas and he's got some jam. The offense has really come up in the last couple of seasons, especially this season, that's what's getting a lot of people's attentions, but the foundation is there."

http://www.si.com/nhl/2017/03/03/zach-aston-reese-northeastern-ncaa-free-agent-scouting

Also known as a strong net-front presence on the power play. At least at the NCAA level, that is.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Looking at some highlights on youtube and he looks a lot like Kunitz.

Younger Kunitz mind you. Just a decently sized net front guy with quick hands. If he pans out into a 15-15 net front guy or better I'd be thrilled.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Just heard this on NHL network radio. I assume he is eligible to play for us this year and his contract starts next year?

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
As is usually the case with UDFA college signees, he'll be in Wilkes-Barre on a try-out deal this spring so the clock on his contract won't start until next season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So the Penguins have pulled off Bengtsson, Prow, DiPauli and now Aston-Reese in the last year. That is some very nice depth to the prospect pool being added.

Where do you think he'd rank in the Penguins prospect pool? That production is nothing to scoff at in the NCAA, regardless of whether he was drafted or not.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
As is usually the case with UDFA college signees, he'll be in Wilkes-Barre on a try-out deal this spring so the clock on his contract won't start until next season.

That is the case with most, but usually the top couple of the class (of which ZAR is) have the first year of their ELC burned off by the signing club as a little 'bonus' for choosing to sign with them. The fact Aston-Reese didn't says to me that he was pretty well set on signing with the Penguins, which would fit the narrative the past couple days.

Nice to see a Boston-educated New Yorker somehow grew up a Penguins fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad