Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign college undrafted Drew O'Connor

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Maybe I'm biased but why wouldn't every college UFA want to sign with the Pens? We have almost no farm system to speak of so there's minimal competition to make it to the NHL. And you get the opportunity to play with/against Sid and Geno.

Let's bring in as many of these kids as possible. We need them.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Maybe I'm biased but why wouldn't every college UFA want to sign with the Pens? We have almost no farm system to speak of so there's minimal competition to make it to the NHL. And you get the opportunity to play with/against Sid and Geno.

Let's bring in as many of these kids as possible. We need them.

If you don't end up with Pittsburgh you end up in WBS or Wheeling. I'm sure there's more desirable AHL/ECHL cities.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
GMJR may be signaling the forwards on the horizon just have more size and upside than the small forward smurfs that are here presently. Poulin, Hallander, Legare, and O'Connor give the Pens much needed size in a couple.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Yeah, about this because I thought something similar. Makar started his NHL career in the playoffs and signed his ELC on April 14th 2019 and, iirc, the Preds wanted to add Vesey fort the playoffs a few years back. Maybe a draft pick is different but idk.
A college player who finishes his college career, and has been drafted by a team prior to this, is considered as being "owned" by the drafting team and is on their roster/list. This makes them eligible to sign with the holding team at any point and be eligible to play in the Playoffs.
A college player who finishes his college career, and has not been drafted by a team prior to this, is considered a UFA and would need to be signed before the trade deadline in order to qualify for a roster spot in the Playoffs. This applies to Justin Williams and why he signed before the deadline.

O'Connor doesn't qualify for the Playoffs.

Reactions: vabm8

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Is Scranton PA really any worse than Rochester or Utica or Grand Rapids? Looking at AHL teams, the vast majority are about the same size as WBS. And even if you do end up playing in Toronto or San Jose you can't afford a decent lifestyle on an AHL salary anyway.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
It doesn't though. ZAR was never sold as that size and it was always highlighted his skating would be little more than serviceable at best. They were both sold as goal scorers but other than that there's quite a bit of difference; ZAR sounded like he had more snarl (well, yes), 200 foot game and net front nous; this guy is (allegedly) a lot bigger, faster, has a better shot and probably better hands.

Now obviously the ZAR experience is a good reminder that whatever you're sold about a player, something in will probably turn out to be not true at pro level, but that's what I like about the sounds of this kid - he sounds like he has so many tools you're not really going to notice that much if one is oversold.

If he's like any current Pens prospect, its Kasper Bjorkqvist, only with more skill and less snarl.

Indeed. You never know how games will translate. Look at ZAR, Sheary, and Marino as to the wide variety of successes different guys can have. You can only really look at similar guys as potentials. That said, if we get another ZAR, that's a win. A NHL player for free is good.

ZAR was compared to Hornqvist at first and clearly they're nothing alike. ZAR was very productive in college though, so maybe it was more hype than merit.

Yeah, I think Horny-lite was way too gratuitous looking back. A gritty, physical guy who has a nose for the net...sign me up and let the chips fall where they may.

ZAR had decent goal scoring numbers for his first 70ish NHL GP and then his offensive game died overnight.

Still, I absolutely consider him a successful UDFA signing. Agree w/ @Peat that their play styles are dissimilar, but OC panning out like a ZAR is more than fine.

Better that than someone like Johnson, who honestly I wouldn’t even say has been an unsuccessful pickup either.

He did spend a decent amount of time with Sid and Geno, then was relegated to the bottom 6. I think his production is consistent with that.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Is Scranton PA really any worse than Rochester or Utica or Grand Rapids? Looking at AHL teams, the vast majority are about the same size as WBS. And even if you do end up playing in Toronto or San Jose you can't afford a decent lifestyle on an AHL salary anyway.
San Diego—sign with the Ducks. They suck, but maybe their farm is deeper.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
San Diego—sign with the Ducks. They suck, but maybe their farm is deeper.

Damn, the Ducks would in fact be tempting and when you look at who they do have, there are some quality guys. My issue with them would be how many good quality prospects they've pissed away to other teams and gotten back 'meh' in return.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Sweet! Love the look of that shot, and the way he backed up to instinctively get the right spacing and angle on it. Even if we only get another ZAR-level player here, that's another NHLer that can contribute.

And yeah, the way we have cleaned out prospects/picks the last few years, we need everyone we can get. As someone said earlier in this thread, right now the Pens should be going all out to get these guys, considering the path is mostly cleared. The jump to WBS should be easier, and anyone can see the jump from WBS to the big club has been made by scores of youngish players over the lat few years.

Maniscalco is next

What's the deal here. Another one potentially incoming?

Looking at how this org has been able to mold young, mobile D I'd love to see us try the college route for one of them.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Is Scranton PA really any worse than Rochester

In my biased opinion yes

Is Scranton PA really any worse than Utica?

No, Utica sucks.

I do have to think Rochester and WBS are fairly middle of the pack as far as destinations go. There are nicer spots, but when you take everything into account (How nice is the city, cost of living, opportunity to play/develop, opportunity to compete, the teams travel load, history of the franchise) there are worse choices.

Most AHL cities aren't much to write home about, but the factors that go into that choice are different for everyone.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For college kids jumping from NCAA to Wilkes, i imagine it's like trading books for what seems like elite hockey school(weights, film, practice) but you get paid pretty nicely.
Living in an apartment with roommates, buses, eating with the team...all that would be the same and i imagine some like the money saved vs going to Toronto, etc.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Wheeling, yes. Ew. But probably isn't too bad since your so close to NY or Philly.

WBS to NYC is over a two hour drive. WBS to Philly is also over a two hour drive. Probably wouldn't work during the season and players (usually) go home in the offseason. Maybe tomorrow I'll make a list of AHL cities I'd like to play in going from best to "whatever".

Reactions: WayneSid9987

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
WBS to NYC is over a two hour drive. WBS to Philly is also over a two hour drive. Probably wouldn't work during the season and players (usually) go home in the offseason. Maybe tomorrow I'll make a list of AHL cities I'd like to play in going from best to "whatever".

I know you're being sarcastic but that would be fun to go through. Then again, I love weird thought exercises like that. Might yell city names followed by opinions at my wife tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad