Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign college undrafted Drew O'Connor

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
4. LW Drew O’Connor - Sophomore, Dartmouth
6-foot-3, 200 pounds
Stats: 29 GP, 21 goals, 11 assists, 32 points
The ECAC’s Co-Player of the Year has sprouted into a can’t-miss find. O’Connor was just 5-foot-8 at age 18, a big reason he wasn’t on NHL radars in his draft year, but has grown to 6-foot-3 while playing for the appropriately named for the Big Green. NHL teams have flocked to watch O’Connor, who they see as a legitimate NHL power forward prospect with a nose for the net. His 38 goals (in 68 games) are the third most in the country over the last two seasons – with a 16 per cent shooting percentage this season – but his overall game has grown as much as his body. There is definitely no shortage of NHL interest in O’Connor, but there is no guarantee the sophomore will decide to leave school early.

Number 4 on TSN's list of undrafted NCAA free agents.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
giphy.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From the main boards:

"The ECAC’s Co-Player of the Year has sprouted into a can’t-miss find. O’Connor was just 5-foot-8 at age 18, a big reason he wasn’t on NHL radars in his draft year, but has grown to 6-foot-3 while playing for the appropriately named for the Big Green. NHL teams have flocked to watch O’Connor, who they see as a legitimate NHL power forward prospect with a nose for the net. His 38 goals (in 68 games) are the third most in the country over the last two seasons – with a 16 per cent shooting percentage this season – but his overall game has grown as much as his body. There is definitely no shortage of NHL interest in O’Connor, but there is no guarantee the sophomore will decide to leave school early."

O'Connor was ranked as the best UDFA forward available this summer and 4th best UDFA prospect overall.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Was just reading the top 5 NCAAFA's from TSN's article yesterday and he certainly peaked my interest.
I'd like to know more re: his skating and what situations he played.
I do know they used him in the right half board one timer position on the PP.

ETA: Also looks like he's become a bit of a roughian with a jump of 14(in 34gp last season) to 42pims this season in 32games.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Was just reading the top 5 NCAAFA's from TSN's article yesterday and he certainly peaked my interest.
I'd like to know more re: his skating and what situations he played.
I do know they used him in the right half board one timer position on the PP.

ETA: Also looks like he's a became a bit of a roughian with a jump of 14(in 34gp last season) to 42pims this season in 32games.

ZAR 2.0

Reactions: Hamurai

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Dartmouth alumni who have gone on to play for the Penguins include Tanner Glass, Nick Johnson, Lee Stempniak, and Ben Lovejoy.

Report: Penguins in on sizable Dartmouth forward Drew O'Connor

He could be another Tanner Glass..

6-foot-3 and 190lbs, O’Connor has the size to cope with the step up to pro. He also skates very well for a player of his size without having standout speed. Whilst not being renowned for being a playmaker, he does have good hands but his main talent so far has been as a goal scorer.
O’Connor is currently the third highest goal scorer in the NCAA with 22. He is averaging 4.5 shots per game which also ranks near the top of the NCAA. These shots are coming from many different areas of the offensive zone, showing that O’Connor is equally comfortable using his slap shot or crashing the net for a tip or a rebound.

Which undrafted free agents should the Sabres look at?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->