Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign college undrafted Drew O'Connor

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I mean, I don’t care for ZAR, but this guy turning into a serviceable pro for the bottom 6 would be nice.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Sounds like ZAR's scouting report.

Im sorry Im sorry Im sorry Im sorry.
maxresdefault-2.jpg

No daddy No!!!!

Reactions: domaug

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sounds like ZAR's scouting report.

Im sorry Im sorry Im sorry Im sorry.

It doesn't though. ZAR was never sold as that size and it was always highlighted his skating would be little more than serviceable at best. They were both sold as goal scorers but other than that there's quite a bit of difference; ZAR sounded like he had more snarl (well, yes), 200 foot game and net front nous; this guy is (allegedly) a lot bigger, faster, has a better shot and probably better hands.

Now obviously the ZAR experience is a good reminder that whatever you're sold about a player, something in will probably turn out to be not true at pro level, but that's what I like about the sounds of this kid - he sounds like he has so many tools you're not really going to notice that much if one is oversold.

If he's like any current Pens prospect, its Kasper Bjorkqvist, only with more skill and less snarl.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
One would have to think that the Pens would be really high on everyones' list. They have a barren prospect pool so opportunity would be there, they have had success at both levels, and we have had great success with college players.
Totally agree. Our affinity and the success we've enjoyed with college players both draftees and Free agents has to put us at the very top of the league.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I seriously hope we can land a defensemen to help fill out our bottom pair next year and beyond. No question if someone impresses at TC they very likely would be afforded an opportunity here.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
ZAR was compared to Hornqvist at first and clearly they're nothing alike. ZAR was very productive in college though, so maybe it was more hype than merit.

ZAR was overhyped and it happened for awhile. Kunitz-lite! Hornqvist replacement! Frustrating 4th liner with weirdly good defensive metrics. What ZAR did have was a crazy good final season with 31 goals in 38 games and that’s not a typo. He was a productive college player but, in hindsight, that goal scoring was an outlier that looked like a player who had put it all together judging by stats and JR’s swooning. I still remember seeing him in his first rookie tournament and going “oh.” He improved after but he didn’t look anything like what they’d sold him as.

DOC at least has numbers more in line with each other. Him being ZAR2 would be a win because he’d be free and cheap on the cap, but I’d expect the expectations of him is a bit more reasonable. Still a crapshoot but a wee bit more realistic.

Reactions: FreeBobbyFarnham

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Actually, ZAR as Kunitz 15/16 16/17 lite kinda works. But yeah, there was overhype. And part of that's on us, because the scouting profiles were pretty clear he was bottom 6, but part of is the profiles overselling his intensity levels. Like intense goalscorer? We know what we can do with those. That intensity hasn't been there. But maybe that's because he was that intense in the NCAA, but the moment he reached the pro levels he was a step behind with the play and had to start picking his battles.

Which is a good lesson with O'Connor. Great to get his potential, but don't know what he'll be until he hits the pros and see what he's like.

Also another thing about this that deserves a shout out is that Scott Young (and probably Kevin Stevens too) are really all over getting in the best NE college players. It's been a super solid pipeline for us. Now go and get us a dman as well...

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
ZAR had decent goal scoring numbers for his first 70ish NHL GP and then his offensive game died overnight.

Still, I absolutely consider him a successful UDFA signing. Agree w/ @Peat that their play styles are dissimilar, but OC panning out like a ZAR is more than fine.

Better that than someone like Johnson, who honestly I wouldn’t even say has been an unsuccessful pickup either.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
One would have to think that the Pens would be really high on everyones' list. They have a barren prospect pool so opportunity would be there, they have had success at both levels, and we have had great success with college players.
This is what I was thinking. You can see our prospect pool and then see what draft picks are up and realize there is some competition but you will not be forgotten about and have a good shot with us.

Tbh I wonder if we can snag one more. Gotta be a huge boost for us that Marino is doing well too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad