Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign college undrafted Drew O'Connor

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Penguins scouting/drafting has been fine for a long time. It's only since the Shero/Bylsma duo was fired that we started to actually develop prospects and give them a shot at making an impact at the NHL level.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Something like this:

*snipped list*

I like the list, but even then there's still only 2 AHL-only markets that I'd actually want to live in: San Diego & Loveland (mostly because of Fort Collins being right there). Cedar Park would crack that list if not for the fact that Texas surrounds the Austin area.

If I were a player I'd put more thought in AHL team location on a second or third professional contract than a first one. If I were a UDFA I'd be looking more at the quality of an organization and path to the NHL. The quality of WBS shouldn't be an issue here, especially when there's far worse places with AHL teams.

I really think it's the UDFA kids from cities that pay attention to this kind of thing. I doubt anyone from a town of 3,000 people who went to college in a town of 20,000 is going to really care/know the difference between Scranton and Syracuse, especially if their goal is to spend as little time in the AHL as possible en route to the NHL.

FWIW O'Connor was born ~20 miles south of New York, so WBS being a couple hours from NYC actually may have been a decent selling point, though I have no idea if his family still lives there or whatever.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I like the list, but even then there's still only 2 AHL-only markets that I'd actually want to live in: San Diego & Loveland (mostly because of Fort Collins being right there). Cedar Park would crack that list if not for the fact that Texas surrounds the Austin area.

If I were a player I'd put more thought in AHL team location on a second or third professional contract than a first one. If I were a UDFA I'd be looking more at the quality of an organization and path to the NHL. The quality of WBS shouldn't be an issue here, especially when there's far worse places with AHL teams.

I really think it's the UDFA kids from cities that pay attention to this kind of thing. I doubt anyone from a town of 3,000 people who went to college in a town of 20,000 is going to really care/know the difference between Scranton and Syracuse, especially if their goal is to spend as little time in the AHL as possible en route to the NHL.

FWIW O'Connor was born ~20 miles south of New York, so WBS being a couple hours from NYC actually may have been a decent selling point, though I have no idea if his family still lives there or whatever.

Yeah, I was doing my ranking as a 31-year old who signed a two-way deal that is guaranteed at least $400k for a season. Like Nathan Gerbe: Nathan Gerbe - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: EightyOne

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Yeah, I was doing my ranking as a 31-year old who signed a two-way deal that is guaranteed at least $400k for a season. Like Nathan Gerbe: Nathan Gerbe - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

In that case I'd probably agree with your list more aside from personal preferences swapping some things up.

As a 21 year-old there's basically no chance I'd sign with Anaheim if there were other teams interested in me...but as a 31 year-old fringe player suddenly the appeal of San Diego starts to outshine how much I hate Orange County.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
4. LW Drew O’Connor - Sophomore, Dartmouth
6-foot-3, 200 pounds
Stats: 29 GP, 21 goals, 11 assists, 32 points
The ECAC’s Co-Player of the Year has sprouted into a can’t-miss find. O’Connor was just 5-foot-8 at age 18, a big reason he wasn’t on NHL radars in his draft year, but has grown to 6-foot-3 while playing for the appropriately named for the Big Green. NHL teams have flocked to watch O’Connor, who they see as a legitimate NHL power forward prospect with a nose for the net. His 38 goals (in 68 games) are the third most in the country over the last two seasons – with a 16 per cent shooting percentage this season – but his overall game has grown as much as his body. There is definitely no shortage of NHL interest in O’Connor, but there is no guarantee the sophomore will decide to leave school early.

Number 4 on TSN's list of undrafted NCAA free agents.

Very nice pickup. The 3 players ranked ahead of him on that list are 2 LD's and a goalie. So according to that list we have signed the top college free agent forward. What's not to like, 38 goals in only 68 games and 6' 3" 200 pounds and can skate. Seems like a pretty good find. I also like that he is only 21.

I would be very interested for someone to compare O'Connor to our other forward prospects. Comparing size, skating, hockey IQ, passing vision, Shot, defensive game/two way play, etc. If we did prospect rankings for our team what is the order now. Also how close is O'Connor to the NHL? Can he pull a Marino?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Very nice pickup. The 3 players ranked ahead of him on that list are 2 LD's and a goalie. So according to that list we have signed the top college free agent forward. What's not to like, 38 goals in only 68 games and 6' 3" 200 pounds and can skate. Seems like a pretty good find. I also like that he is only 21.

I would be very interested for someone to compare O'Connor to our other forward prospects. Comparing size, skating, hockey IQ, passing vision, Shot, defensive game/two way play, etc. If we did prospect rankings for our team what is the order now. Also how close is O'Connor to the NHL? Can he pull a Marino?

Massive grain of salt as this is all profile reading with some highlights but...

Size - Joint tallest after Angello at 6'3" with Gorman and Caulfield. However, 200 lbs is lighter or similar to a good number of shorter guys - Poulin, Legare, Bjorkqvist so guessing he's still got a little growing into the frame he can do and maybe mightn't be powerful at a pro level right away

Skating - Meant to be good but not excellent, which tbh is fairly standard for our forward prospects outside of maybe Drozg, Almeida (maybe), Gorman, Puustinen and Hallander, and tbh better than a few guys like Bjorkqvist.

Hockey IQ - Meant to be good but I dunno how on earth to measure that against the other guys

Passing vision - Not a playmaker but not completely deficient, which again sounds middle of the pack

Shot - Good. Not as good as Legare or Poulin, but after that it's kinda anyone's game and I think he's probably one of the better. Equal with Bellerive maybe. Has net front goalscoring too. I don't think it's good enough to be bread and butter top 6 NHL stuff (but could be wrong), but it'll be an important part of the package

Two way play - Not really mentioned tbh which puts him low compared to a bunch of these guys

Prospect rankings... Poulin/Legare/Hallander/POJ make up a tier of their own at the top and after that, it's anyone's game. Based solely on junior hype and numbers I think he slots in ahead of any forward currently in WBS and is kinda battling it out with Puustinen to be the 4th best forward prospect (which is not a happy thing to say). But how he goes in WBS will have a lot to say about where he gets ranked in the summer.

Marino comparisons... well, he won't be Marino as a LW, and if he is, that's actually unfair. Make the team out of camp? I think right now it'll be an outside shot. I can see him following a ZAR-esque path in having a decent first AHL season and an extended cup of coffee in the NHL more easily.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Massive grain of salt as this is all profile reading with some highlights but...

Size - Joint tallest after Angello at 6'3" with Gorman and Caulfield. However, 200 lbs is lighter or similar to a good number of shorter guys - Poulin, Legare, Bjorkqvist so guessing he's still got a little growing into the frame he can do and maybe mightn't be powerful at a pro level right away

Skating - Meant to be good but not excellent, which tbh is fairly standard for our forward prospects outside of maybe Drozg, Almeida (maybe), Gorman, Puustinen and Hallander, and tbh better than a few guys like Bjorkqvist.

Hockey IQ - Meant to be good but I dunno how on earth to measure that against the other guys

Passing vision - Not a playmaker but not completely deficient, which again sounds middle of the pack

Shot - Good. Not as good as Legare or Poulin, but after that it's kinda anyone's game and I think he's probably one of the better. Equal with Bellerive maybe. Has net front goalscoring too. I don't think it's good enough to be bread and butter top 6 NHL stuff (but could be wrong), but it'll be an important part of the package

Two way play - Not really mentioned tbh which puts him low compared to a bunch of these guys

Prospect rankings... Poulin/Legare/Hallander/POJ make up a tier of their own at the top and after that, it's anyone's game. Based solely on junior hype and numbers I think he slots in ahead of any forward currently in WBS and is kinda battling it out with Puustinen to be the 4th best forward prospect (which is not a happy thing to say). But how he goes in WBS will have a lot to say about where he gets ranked in the summer.

Marino comparisons... well, he won't be Marino as a LW, and if he is, that's actually unfair. Make the team out of camp? I think right now it'll be an outside shot. I can see him following a ZAR-esque path in having a decent first AHL season and an extended cup of coffee in the NHL more easily.
just him growing into his body should take care of a lot of those....not high grades :nod:
edit; and happen quickly.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

It’s got to be said that Guentzel didn’t make the team out of camp and didn’t stick after his first call up. Marino was a freak exception in a lot of ways.

Players who have made the Pens without AHL time first that I can recall enough to check. Marino , Sprong (desperate team and a mistake, saga), Maatta, then you’re looking further back at Staal (3OA), Letang getting a 7 game tryout and only playing 10 AHL games the next season, Crosby, Malkin and Fleury (complicated).

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
It’s got to be said that Guentzel didn’t make the team out of camp and didn’t stick after his first call up. Marino was a freak exception in a lot of ways.

Players who have made the Pens without AHL time first that I can recall enough to check. Marino , Sprong (desperate team and a mistake, saga), Maatta, then you’re looking further back at Staal (3OA), Letang getting a 7 game tryout and only playing 10 AHL games the next season, Crosby, Malkin and Fleury (complicated).

Bennett was brought in too soon as well IIRC

Reactions: farscape1

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bennett was brought in too soon as well IIRC
I think he hurt his wrist in college, when that happened they should have given him more time off to heal and let him marinate in the AHL longer, they definitely rushed that kid and have rushed a lot of kids since then, it is what it is.

It's almost a miracle they haven't f***ed up Poulin's career yet.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
In that case I'd probably agree with your list more aside from personal preferences swapping some things up.

As a 21 year-old there's basically no chance I'd sign with Anaheim if there were other teams interested in me...but as a 31 year-old fringe player suddenly the appeal of San Diego starts to outshine how much I hate Orange County.

I’d ask for at least a carnitas clause.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Seems like he has a more coach-friendly skillset and is more ready for the NHL than guys like Poulin and Legare but I wouldn't think he'll be around much this season, if at all.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
As of now he has to compete with Lafferty and Rodriguez for that last spot. As of now this is your team.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kapanen
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Jankowski-???
Sceviour-Blueger-Tanev

One spot open for someone to take it. Who that will be should be interesting. I think O'Connor could win that spot if he can outshine those two players in camp. The 1, 2, and 4 lines seem set for Sullivan.

I really only see one spot up for grabs. Who does everyone want to see win that spot? How did Lafferty look? Love Lafferty's speed but he needs to show more offense for my liking but that sure would be the fastest 8 wingers in the league. I don't think any team would have close to the speed of those 8 as a group. Lafferty would have to make a nice jump offensively for me to like it but the forecheck of those 4 lines with those wingers constantly flying in to pressure other teams defenseman would really bring back the 2016 vibes for me. Having a defenseman on each pairing to join those rushes makes that pressure that much more dangerous with Letang, Marino, and Matheson providing a constant threat to join a rush. At the very least it will be a fun team to watch. I love that fast forechecking style.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Penguins scouting/drafting has been fine for a long time. It's only since the Shero/Bylsma duo was fired that we started to actually develop prospects and give them a shot at making an impact at the NHL level.
I think you need to look at their draft history since we selected Kap 6 or 7 years ago. Simon is one of the better players this team has drafted over the last 5 or 6 years. I realize we trade a lot of picks since JR is reckless, but I don’t know how you can say their drafting has been fine for a long time.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I think you need to look at their draft history since we selected Kap 6 or 7 years ago. Simon is one of the better players this team has drafted over the last 5 or 6 years. I realize we trade a lot of picks since JR is reckless, but I don’t know how you can say their drafting has been fine for a long time.

I agree, 2015-18 drafts aren't very good for the Pens. Love the 2019 group and believe it has some promise. 2020 all comes down to those goalies. If you got your next Murray and Jarry combo of the future then great draft but if neither of those developed into a starting NHL goalie then that is a bust of a draft also.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it looks like DOC is going to get a cup of coffee at least this season and see where it goes from there. As Empo says, right now he's 15th forward, which means 13th forward until Kap arrives, and I think we all know just how much our 13th/14th forward usually plays.

I think I like what I see, although I'm not sure I saw much. But I didn't see him do anything out of place, and he seemed to be around some nice offensive moments.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, our scouting and drafting has been fine for a long time. Anyone after like midway through the first is a huge longshot to see NHL time, let alone be a regular, and despite not having high 1st rounders we've gotten some studs in middle rounds.

Likely would've seen the same under the Shero/Bylsma regime but they were too far up their own asses to actually follow through with the development of draftees. We never would've gotten Rust, Jake, Murray, etc. under the previous regime because we'd always have 35 year old journeyman players taking up their spots and playing shit hockey to boot.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
I mean, our scouting and drafting has been fine for a long time. Anyone after like midway through the first is a huge longshot to see NHL time, let alone be a regular, and despite not having high 1st rounders we've gotten some studs in middle rounds.

Likely would've seen the same under the Shero/Bylsma regime but they were too far up their own asses to actually follow through with the development of draftees. We never would've gotten Rust, Jake, Murray, etc. under the previous regime because we'd always have 35 year old journeyman players taking up their spots and playing shit hockey to boot.
I saw this: NHL - 2021 Draft Thread | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com) on the Bruins board a few days ago. @DominicT looked at all of the draft picks of each team from 2010-15 and counted how many players played 100 games in the NHL. The Penguins had the fewest picks, with 29, but 13 of those have played 100 games in the NHL. The Pens' 44.8% success rate is the highest in the league. This also doesn't include either Jarry or Lafferty, as neither of them have played 100 NHL games (yet). If you click the link and then scroll down, he made a chart.
Also, 13 draft picks to play 100 games during that time puts the Penguins tied for 8th-most. Only seven teams have had more than 13 picks play more than 100 NHL games; the Penguins and two other teams have had exactly 13 players. This means that 20 teams have drafted fewer players that have played 100 NHL games from 2010-15 than the Penguins.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012

Guenztel never went back down to the AHL after his first call up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad