Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign college undrafted Drew O'Connor

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Here's some more vid footage...

2 goals and an almost assist:

4on3 goalie screen and a breakaway goal:

Watching these, looks like they used him on the PK and in defensive situations as well 5on6 to close out games.

Goal and he takes alot of draws in this one. Looks like he played some C for Dartmouth:

Goal and 3 assists. See his skating stride good in this one. It's decent for a big man:

Highlights: Men's Hockey at Yale, Nov. 15, 2019

Goal and an almost goal:

Recap: Harvard Men's Ice Hockey vs. Dartmouth - ECAC Quarterfinals - Game 2

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have to be aggressive in adding players in this market. Nice size and big LW is a position on need in the system

Reactions: SEALBound

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
This goes without saying, but it's good to be adding to the prospect pool like this when we barely have any draft picks.

At the very least this helps make up for not having a 2nd rounder (and is older/more developed than anyone we'd be drafting).
Yeah, not having most of your high draft picks is not ideal, and Rutherford acknowledged that.

But he did say they do use that as a selling point to college free agents, others, when pitching the opportunity. That quick advancement is possible due to the Pens weakened prospect pool

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
They can't if the player is added after the trade deadline

Yeah, about this because I thought something similar. Makar started his NHL career in the playoffs and signed his ELC on April 14th 2019 and, iirc, the Preds wanted to add Vesey fort the playoffs a few years back. Maybe a draft pick is different but idk.

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Isn't this just for when trading for players?
I think it's both, no?

Yeah, about this because I thought something similar. Makar started his NHL career in the playoffs and signed his ELC on April 14th 2019 and, iirc, the Preds wanted to add Vesey fort the playoffs a few years back. Maybe a draft pick is different but idk.
Maybe it's because they owned his rights?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
4. LW Drew O’Connor - Sophomore, Dartmouth
6-foot-3, 200 pounds
Stats: 29 GP, 21 goals, 11 assists, 32 points
The ECAC’s Co-Player of the Year has sprouted into a can’t-miss find. O’Connor was just 5-foot-8 at age 18, a big reason he wasn’t on NHL radars in his draft year, but has grown to 6-foot-3 while playing for the appropriately named for the Big Green. NHL teams have flocked to watch O’Connor, who they see as a legitimate NHL power forward prospect with a nose for the net. His 38 goals (in 68 games) are the third most in the country over the last two seasons – with a 16 per cent shooting percentage this season – but his overall game has grown as much as his body. There is definitely no shortage of NHL interest in O’Connor, but there is no guarantee the sophomore will decide to leave school early.

Number 4 on TSN's list of undrafted NCAA free agents.

Why couldn't I have had a growth spurt like that? :(

In any case, always good to get free toys. Hopefully he pans out at the NHL level, even if it's simply depth for the bottom six.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Bogo had to sign before the TDL to be eligible for the playoffs so Id imagine its the same case here. Makar and Kreider started in the playoffs because their teams already had their rights prior to the TDL.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Big time shot generator in both ones on cage and attempts. Nobody else on Dartmouth came close.

I asked an old teammate of mine who attends Dartmouth his thoughts, so maybe he’ll have a fan’s perspective.

Reactions: WayneSid9987

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Best way to fill out a prospect pool when you trade all of your picks. Love the size.

Reactions: OnMyOwn

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Toss a coin to your witcher....

Dartmouth too so he must have some smarts to go along with size and a shot.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
One would have to think that the Pens would be really high on everyones' list. They have a barren prospect pool so opportunity would be there, they have had success at both levels, and we have had great success with college players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad