Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Cody Ceci, 1 Year $1.25M AAV

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
No freaking out like JR shot your cat is is the part of you being a 5-year-old. I have no issue with people saying this is a bad signing but chill the f*** out. People freaking out over this small deal sound completely unhinged.

You can try to rationalize it anyway you want but you come off as completely unhinged in this. Absolute lunacy.
with all due respect Empo you kind of lost the "People freaking out over this small deal sound completely unhinged." credibility in the Johnson thread.

With our third line in its current state, our lack of cap space, and Ruhwedel and Riikola once more doomed to the pressbox, it is absolutely fair for people to be frustrated as hell about this move.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Hes our #6 signed for one year at cheap, whats the big deal? If he doesn't play well it's an easy replacement in Ruh or Riikola.

Reactions: Factorial

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
JR cannot make a wise and prudent decision if his life depended on it. Why sign an extremely bland and mediocre Ceci at 1.2 million when you can most likely sign Yannick Weber or Dalton Prout at the league minimum. Better yet, just stick with Ruhwedel and/or Riikola.

Just another knee jerk reaction on Rutherford’s part.

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
We employed Jack Johnson the past two seasons, we absolutely can imagine how bad Cody Ceci will be. Ceci is better than Johnson and that's pretty inarguable. He's still f***ing terrible and I laughed uproariously when Toronto actually paid an asset and signed him last year.

"At least" he's cheap and there's no term, but a replacement level player making over a million is never a smart move.

Like I said, you don't seem to understand how much of a liability Cody Ceci is.

Cody Ceci is actively someone who will concede goals on a nightly basis that are 100% his fault. Godspeed.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I really don’t think people are freaking out over this? A stupid move is a stupid move. Even if it is just a one year deal, people don’t have to like it.

Maybe it works out, but multiple teams thinking he’s one of the worse defenseman in the league isn’t a good sign. And that’s on top of adding a player with a lot of question marks in Matheson.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
with all due respect Empo you kind of lost the "People freaking out over this small deal sound completely unhinged." credibility in the Johnson thread.

With our third line in its current state, our lack of cap space, and Ruhwedel and Riikola once more doomed to the pressbox, it is absolutely fair for people to be frustrated as hell about this move.

Lol okay whatever you want to tell yourself.

All this thread is doing is convincing me that my "Penguins fans are among the whiniest fanbases in hockey" theory is pretty accurate.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Ehh, it’s one year. Whatever. I think sometimes we fixate too much on the sixth defenseman.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

It’s just so weird. They made such smart moves with players like Cole, Schultz, and Daley. Even Streit.

Ventura is still here. Is he the one feeding the analytics for Hunwick, JJ, Gudbranson and now Ceci in four consecutive years?

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
1 yr @1.25 m for an average defensive D with experience who won’t be relied upon heavily isn’t that bad lol why is everybody losing their mind?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

All this thread is doing is convincing me that my "Penguins fans are among the whiniest fanbases in hockey" theory is pretty accurate.

Someone sticky this post for when @Empoleon8771 actually watches Ceci play ten games and realizes what we just did. Kind of like JJ.

Is Ceci a “light beer” Brian Dumoulin?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's one single year... 1.25m. The guy is mostly able to be waived. This is one single year. If Jack Johnson was 1 year, I would have said the same thing instead of the 30 year contract he was given.

One single year is risk free. Let's hope for a turnaround. That's all.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

yes, when the GM makes bad decisions we get annoyed about it. that's just cheering for a sports team.

Weird for a guy with 52,000 posts on a hockey forum to be confused why people are having a big reaction to a signing that the hockey world is laughing at us for

Reactions: Lustaf and Doogle

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Someone sticky this post for when @Empoleon8771 actually watches Ceci play ten games and realizes what we just did. Kind of like JJ.

Is Ceci a “light beer” Brian Dumoulin?

I like how you think this makes you look any less unhinged.

But yes, me saying "it's too small of a deal and too expected for me to freak out about, even though I'm not crazy about Ceci as a player" is totally more ridiculous than you screeching like a child. Gotcha.

Like I said, whiners.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
What does Sam Ventura do for the penguins? This is the type of move he should be threatening to resign over. I am convinced that Sully is telling JR he needs this type of defenseman. I had hoped it was Martin.

I was looking forward to us finally having no pairing that absolutely kill us possession wise. If you want our third and fourth lines to produce any offense, you cannot have this type of player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad