Confirmed with Link: Penguins Sign Cody Ceci, 1 Year $1.25M AAV

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
It's a f***ing #6 D :laugh:

Like I can understand the reaction if they have Ceci money, term or a significant role, but this is literally nothing. If he sucks, they let him walk after the year and the experiment is a failure. Oh well. If a #6D sinks your team, your team isn't a legitimate contender anyway.
You keep saying things like "If he sucks." There is no "if." He sucks. We know he sucks. Everyone else in the NHL knows he sucks.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Ceci has been on a team that’s actually won a playoff series so he has that over JJ.

He did go -7 in that run though :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Have we already forgotten what a liability Johnson was? If JJ was signed for one year 1.25 it still would have been a terrible and costly move.

Do we seriously seriously believe that this guy is destined for the waiver wire? The guy has Johnson's knack for making coaches trust him in big minutes. Even the analytics minded Maple Leafs had him with Rielly most of the season.

Matheson needed someone reliable to play with and instead we gave him JJ lite.

There is a HUGE difference here. I don't like the move, personally. I didn't like the JJ move. I already said there were so many dmen available this offseason that would have helped us. I've spoken my part. I cannot make moves for the Pens. I can only react to them.

So... 1 year deals are pretty much nothing. When JJ signed in 2018 or whatever, I would have said "Oh 1 year.. i doubt he's any good, but oh well. So be it." I feel the exact same for Ceci. If he signed Ceci for 5 years, I would have lost my mind like people are doing in here.

I just can't lose my mind on a 1 year deal. I've seen worse dmen figure it out on good teams. I've seen better dmen NOT figure it out. And I think @Tom Hanks put it best... JR KEEPS trying this gameplan and thinks he can do it over and over. It worked in 2016 and it hasn't since. I can't think of one reclamation project that has worked.

But Ian Cole was a healthy scratch. Daley was said to be awful. Schultz was like a -300. JR has done this and succeeded. JR has done this and failed. I expect this one to fail but it's one single year. And honestly i'm not even totally sure how this year will play out w/ COVID.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
There is a HUGE difference here. I don't like the move, personally. I didn't like the JJ move. I already said there were so many dmen available this offseason that would have helped us. I've spoken my part. I cannot make moves for the Pens. I can only react to them.

So... 1 year deals are pretty much nothing. When JJ signed in 2018 or whatever, I would have said "Oh 1 year.. i doubt he's any good, but oh well. So be it." I feel the exact same for Ceci. If he signed Ceci for 5 years, I would have lost my mind like people are doing in here.

I just can't lose my mind on a 1 year deal. I've seen worse dmen figure it out on good teams. I've seen better dmen NOT figure it out. And I think @Tom Hanks put it best... JR KEEPS trying this gameplan and thinks he can do it over and over. It worked in 2016 and it hasn't since. I can't think of one reclamation project that has worked.

But Ian Cole was a healthy scratch. Daley was said to be awful. Schultz was like a -300. JR has done this and succeeded. JR has done this and failed. I expect this one to fail but it's one single year. And honestly i'm not even totally sure how this year will play out w/ COVID.

I'm not a prophet, but I nonetheless feel comfortable addressing your question as to how a Matheson-Ceci pairing will play out . . .

giphy.gif

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I want to live with a cecimon girl
I could be happy for the rest of my life
With a cecimon girl
- JR

so glad we’ve almost made it
So sad they had to fade it....

I can’t stand this indecision
Married with a lack of vision...

everybody doesn’t want Ceci on their team...

Reactions: Gurglesons

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Useless defensemen and JR coming
Another coverage blown
This season I hear the drumming
Playoff death for the Penguinos

Well I dreamed I saw the FO talkin'
Sayin' something about a right D
There were fans speculating and Twitter buzzing
And Kingerski being a dweeb

Then with a fanfare a deal was announced
It was Cody Ceci

Look at our playoff hopes on the run
In the 2020s
In the 2020s

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Reminder that JR botched our 1st round picks so bad. Wild should have got this years pick and we should have playoff protected the first used in the Kap deal.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well I dreamed I saw the FO talkin'
Sayin' something about a right D
There were fans speculating and Twitter buzzing
And Kingerski being a dweeb

Then with a fanfare a deal was announced
It was Cody Cici

In the 2020s
In the 2020s

I hate to tell people but, no matter the beautiful Neil Young reinventions, the Pens didn’t have any real playoff hopes BC (before Ceci)...

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
With Pettersson most likely to play on the second pair for better or worse, that means we now carry no less than 4 defenders for the bottom pair. Not taking into account any in WBS.

So even without discussing contract length, contract pay, or the skill of signed player my only question is...but why?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
With Pettersson most likely to play on the second pair for better or worse, that means we now carry no less than 4 defenders for the bottom pair. Not taking into account any in WBS.

So even without discussing contract length, contract pay, or the skill of signed player my only question is...but why?

Honestly, Pets-Marino is too soft and Matheson-Ceci . . . I'm broken just thinking about what that duo is going to bring.

Matheson-Marino and Pets-Ceci is the least noxious option, which is why I completely expect Sullivan to do the opposite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->