Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Brock McGinn

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He posted his model as well.

But, Dom’s model has been really off the past two years. He said he was really good the last year or so. But he is skeptical of McGinn over the contract length.

I'm a bit nonplussed by the part where McGinn's meant to just suddenly drop 0.5 wins at the age of 28. I get age related regression is a thing, but that sharply and at 28?

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Me when JR walked out.

Ceci you later! don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Me when JR quit:
giphy.gif

When I heard who replaced him:

upload_2021-7-30_7-3-11.gif

Reactions: LOGiK

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Yeah... for awhile it was as if exgmjr was actively pursuing landing the worst possible f***ing contract signings single handedly dismantling the 2016 squad.

The most hilarious part is that HE WALKED OUT on the team...

Amazing stuff really.

I still say GMJR quitting because people were asking for a little accountability is the greatest Boomer Moment since Forrest Gump came out on VHS.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I still say GMJR quitting because people were asking for a little accountability is the greatest Boomer Moment since Forrest Gump came out on VHS.
Well... I'm amazed after bad contract after bad contract that HE was even allowed to walk out...

What could have went down?
Possible they said, two options, you did get two cups.... but since then, yo.
So here's what we're going to do... you can either:
A) Walk out like a boss or a cry baby... depends how the media spins it (or fans perceive it)
B) Get your old ass fired... kinda have your last go at hockey come down to misery...

I donno... will we ever know the real story? I'm sure there are a b c d e..... etc etc ideas what could have went down. The letang theory was popular here.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
It's almost always for a dumber reason than you could possibly believe. That's my personal rule of thumb.

True. We almost always place these slags in such high places and worship them.... like they are better than us... nah. People today idolize the wrong demographic... well, let's not get into that... is there even a demographic worthy of following / learning etc etc... hard to trust / believe in anyone today...

Reactions: EpiPen

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
IMO, GMJR walked out because he bought out Jack Johnson.

If I'm not mistaken the Penguins have never bought out a player. I believe they have a standing rule from ownership that they do not believe in it and it is not to be done. GMJR knew this but did it anyways. And then ownership basically said, welp, you broke a cardinal rule without even discussing it with us or he broke it knowing full well they were opposed to the idea and should not be done.

Thus, when that happened they basically told him he has two avenues. He can keep his job but every transaction now has to approved by them. Or he can quit.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
IMO, GMJR walked out because he bought out Jack Johnson.

If I'm not mistaken the Penguins have never bought out a player. I believe they have a standing rule from ownership that they do not believe in it and it is not to be done. GMJR knew this but did it anyways. And then ownership basically said, welp, you broke a cardinal rule without even discussing it with us or he broke it knowing full well they were opposed to the idea and should not be done.

Thus, when that happened they basically told him he has two avenues. He can keep his job but every transaction now has to approved by them. Or he can quit.

I think that's a stretch. Johnson was bought out in October, JR rage quit in January

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know why JR quit and it has nothing to do with his buyout.

But no for real I think he just quit because after years of absolute mad lad wheeling and dealing that basically amounted to a dog endlessly chasing it's tail while it shit gold coins... ownership likely wanted some oversight or at least more of a process of going through official channels and well... JR is a strong independent GM who don't need no man and he wasn't havin' that.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia

But no for real I think he just quit because after years of absolute mad lad wheeling and dealing that basically amounted to a dog endlessly chasing it's tail while it shit gold coins... ownership likely wanted some oversight or at least more of a process of going through official channels and well... JR is a strong independent GM who don't need no man and he wasn't havin' that.

This is where I am as well, especially when you consider that by all accounts they were discussing a new potential contract. JR pushed for more unilateral control and ownership said "yeaaaah, we're kind of thinking the opposite" and so JR took his putter and went home. And the best part of all of it is that TO THIS DAMN DAY we still have Pittsburgh media writing these kooky puff pieces on what an affable gramps Rutherford is.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is where I am as well, especially when you consider that by all accounts they were discussing a new potential contract. JR pushed for more unilateral control and ownership said "yeaaaah, we're kind of thinking the opposite" and so JR took his putter and went home. And the best part of all of it is that TO THIS DAMN DAY we still have Pittsburgh media writing these kooky puff pieces on what an affable gramps Rutherford is.

I liked how on his way out he was in and out of the press a few times dropping vague drama about him leaving and why and then some ridiculous after-the-fact grousing about him trading Fleury and how bad it broke him up and everyone was like "is this guy still talking?"

Richard

Feb 8, 2012

Plus they quashed his big deal.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Brock McGinn: Pittsburgh got out of the Brandon Tanev deal somehow, only to commit themselves to a much worse fourth-line forward for four years at nearly $2.75 million. Jared McCann, who makes $190,000 more, was traded for expansion reasons to make room for this. One scored at a 61-point pace last year, the other wasn’t even at half of that. He plays with jam though so I guess that’s worth putting a burden on your cap, despite McGinn-types being a dime-a-dozen.- Dom L

There you go @Pens x.

Nothing about Hallander, the Pens lack of room for McCann at C, the fact Seattle was gonna take him anyway, no elaborations on how McGinn is so much worse than Tanev.

Imma say it, Hockey Twitter is virginal white knighting fart smellers.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad